Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mess on the Grand Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It could happen, but unless you're the tighest arse in the world I don't think you'll get many being arsed going home just to get some rubbish for the sake of €5 or so.

And if there's fly tipping around the corner, what's the problem if that gets cleaned up?

Nobody said it's the solution, but it's a initiative. People on the thread have been saying there should be deposit schemes. Now there's something pretty much identical, and people still complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Hurrache wrote: »
    It could happen, but unless you're the tighest arse in the world I don't think you'll get many being arsed going home just to get some rubbish for the sake of €5 or so.

And if there's fly tipping around the corner, what's the problem if that gets cleaned up?

Nobody said it's the solution, but it's a initiative. People on the thread have been saying there should be deposit schemes. Now there's something pretty much identical, and people still complain about it.

Well we have a cohort of people who want to pay for nothing, and will gladly do it for a free pint.

It is merely justifying the problem, rather than fixing the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well we have a cohort of people who want to pay for nothing, and will gladly do it for a free pint.

It is merely justifying the problem, rather than fixing the source.

Translation: One of the most fun things to do in Dublin during the summer should be banned, because it's not my kind of fun - and any solution which removes the problems without banning the fun is a bad solution, because people still get to have fun. :pac:

Translation: One of the most fun things to do in Dublin during the summer should be banned, because it's not my kind of fun - and any solution which removes the problems without banning the fun is a bad solution, because people still get to have fun. :pac:

No - translation : have no problem with people having fun, enjoying the sun, having a beer. I do it myself.

But when they leave the place a complete state of cans, bottles, take away rubbish, and the place smells of p1ss for days after, then there is a problem.

Also bear one thing in mind - if the Gardai/council have ended this, it is only those who left the place a state in the first place who are to blame. (And people who walk etc on the canal with children etc shouldn't lose the amenity to an family-unfriendly roaring p1ss up / mob just because the sun comes out).

No - translation : have no problem with people having fun, enjoying the sun, having a beer. I do it myself.

But when they leave the place a complete state of cans, bottles, take away rubbish, and the place smells of p1ss for days after, then there is a problem.

Also bear one thing in mind - if the Gardai/council have ended this, it is only those who left the place a state in the first place who are to blame.

I agree with all that, but why are you therefore complaining about one potential solution which is currently being implemented? What's the problem with it?
    (And people who walk etc on the canal with children etc shouldn't lose the amenity to an family-unfriendly roaring p1ss up / mob just because the sun comes out).

What's family unfriendly about an outdoor party, just because there's alcohol involved? Did your parents never have friends over and have parties involving drinking when you were a kid? Its presence doesn't necessitate anyone's participation.

• Advertisement

Because a pub offering free pints for people to clean up is complete and utter nonsense.

Maybe go down and have a look dude, and come back and tell me you'd bring your kids down there. This is not a few people sitting around having cans, this is thousands of people in an atmosphere akin to a music festival. It is not comparable to your parents having a few people over for a drink.

Because a pub offering free pints for people to clean up is complete and utter nonsense.

Why is that? Let's give it a chance and see if it works.
    Maybe go down and have a look dude, and come back and tell me you'd bring your kids down there. This is not a few people sitting around having cans, this is thousands of people in an atmosphere akin to a music festival. It is not comparable to your parents having a few people over for a drink.

I'm down there all the time, and I have no problem with it. What about the atmosphere of a music festival is again family unfriendly? The only issue I can think of is the noise. Playing music, drinking, doing ridiculous stunts, whatever - none of these things are objectively "bad". I don't see what the problem is with kids being exposed to that stuff - they're more than likely going to go through a phase of enjoying it one way or another once they get into their twenties, what's the point of shielding them from it until then? It's as ridiculous IMO as the "zomg, a breast! THINK OF THE CHILDREN" attitude some people have to TV.

Family walks past, kids see a bunch of people enjoying the outdoors and having fun. The horror!

Why not tell people not to be scumbags and clean up after themselves and bring home thier rubbish? Is that not worth giving a chance? Oh yeah sorry people will blame everything but themselves.

It is not unreasonable to not want to expose your young children to a baying mob of drunks. But maybe your upbringing was different to mine.

Why not tell people not to be scumbags and clean up after themselves and bring home thier rubbish? Is that not worth giving a chance? Oh yeah sorry people will blame everything but themselves.

And for the umpteenth time, what do you say to people who aren't going home afterwards, but are moving straight to a nearby city centre establishment after the outdoor sesh? Take a half hour train home and back just because DCC can't provision the city like any other capital city in Europe?
    It is not unreasonable to not want to expose your young children to a baying mob of drunks. But maybe your upbringing was different to mine.

You talk as if there's a negative / aggro type atmosphere there, which there massively isn't. Furthermore, it's one small stretch of the canal on relatively few days during the summer, not a 24/7 full moon party.

What I say to them is to go drink in a pub or find a bottle bank (of which there are some) rather than just dumping your bottles and saying "i've nowhere to put them, so I will just dump them here and blame somebody else" (I will remind you that I set up the thread with the proposal of a deposit on bottles).

It depends when you go down there whether the atmosphere is negative. Go there when the beer sets in and the atmosphere is not as friendly as you seem to portray.

I think we need to agree to differ.

• Advertisement

What I say to them is to go drink in a pub or find a bottle bank (of which there are some) rather than just dumping your bottles and saying "i've nowhere to put them, so I will just dump them here and blame somebody else" (I will remind you that I set up the thread with the proposal of a deposit on bottles).

Interesting, where are there nearby bottle banks? I'm aware of one across the road from my own gaff in Glasthule alright, but remember I do actually bring my bottles home from the canal so I can re-use them for my next homebrew batch ;)
    It depends when you go down there whether the atmosphere is negative. Go there when the beer sets in and the atmosphere is not as friendly as you seem to portray.

I've been there from 4PM until midnight on most of the days I've been there, I've never seen anything but people enjoying themselves. No fights or anything like that, and I think we'd have heard about those by now if they were happening on anything like a regular basis - any time it has happened in Sandycove it's hit social media almost immediately afterwards, I find it unlikely that it could go on in Portobello without people talking about it.
    I think we need to agree to differ.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I'll probably go and enjoy the canal sesh at some stage this weekend if the weather stays like it is, but I'll be bringing my bottles home and using them for my forthcoming first attempt at making an Irish Stout :D:D:D

There are 2 bottle banks within 15 minute walk of Portobello, at least. 1 in Rathmines, 1 in Dolphins Barn. Not ideal but where there is a will there is a way - if somebody wants to find somewhere to get rid of their rubbish, they will.

Good luck with the stout attempt, maybe start a thread on it and keep us posted, as homebrew is something I am considering doing (to drink at Portobello!!! Joking).

There are 2 bottle banks within 15 minute walk of Portobello, at least. 1 in Rathmines, 1 in Dolphins Barn. Not ideal but where there is a will there is a way - if somebody wants to find somewhere to get rid of their rubbish, they will.

Well I'll certainly direct my can drinking friends to this, while pilfering their bottles for my own uses ;)
    Good luck with the stout attempt, maybe start a thread on it and keep us posted, as homebrew is something I am considering doing (to drink at Portobello!!! Joking).

Do it. Seriously, it's incredibly relaxing and there's a real sense of achievement when you finally get to crack one open - it's like eating something you cooked yourself, but I think because it involves over a month of waiting it feels that bit better. I've done it twice, but not with the holy grail of stout in mind.

One word of advice - if you don't enjoy cleaning, you won't enjoy brewing :D You have to make about five buckets of sanitising solution throughout your brewing day and again at bottling time a few weeks later, apparently even one microscopic little gobsh!te getting into your brew will completely ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

roaring p1ss up

love this expression.

Aren't they already policing outside the barge now, is there any update from yesterdays fine weather if people were allowed there.

So you also disagree with those (including yourself) suggesting that deposit schemes should be reintroduced as it's also a ridiculous idea?
    And for the umpteenth time, what do you say to people who aren't going home afterwards, but are moving straight to a nearby city centre establishment after the outdoor sesh?

Bring it home, or depose of it correctly. There is absolutely not excuse whatsoever for littering.

Bring it home, or depose of it correctly. There is absolutely not excuse whatsoever for littering.

So just to absolutely spell this out: you're suggesting that a person who lives in Blackrock for example, who goes to the Barge during the day and intends to move on to Coppers once it gets dark with their friends, should get the dart home to Blackrock at 11pm, bin their rubbish and get the last dart back into town at 11.30pm to carry on with their evening?

Like I agree with what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that people , young people in particular, who live in the suburbs and commute into town, generally live a lifestyle which involves heading into town early on a day off and not necessarily going *home* at all until the early hours of the following morning on the Nitelink or in a cab. It also involves visiting private establishments later in the day, which I surely don't need to tell you will not allow patrons to bring bags of rubbish into the building.

In principle, sure, there's no excuse for littering. But if vast numbers of dublin's residents choose to live their lives in this way, IE being away from home for long periods during the day, shouldn't the capital city of this country facilitate that lifestyle by providing public facilities rather than relying on private businesses to provide them?

So just to absolutely spell this out: you're suggesting that a person who lives in Blackrock for example, who goes to the Barge during the day and intends to move on to Coppers once it gets dark with their friends, should get the dart home to Blackrock at 11pm, bin their rubbish and get the last dart back into town at 11.30pm to carry on with their evening?

I never said anything of that nature at all??

As to your second point, you want rate and tax payers to facilitate knacker drinking?

I never said anything of that nature at all??

You said "bring it home, or dispose of it correctly". If the city centre's bins are overflowing, then the only option in your set of options for the hypothetical person in my scenario is to travel home to Blackrock, put it in their bin, and travel back into town immediately afterwards to go to whatever restaurant or club they were originally heading to. Disposing of it correctly is only possible if the city centre has the necessary facilities for people to do so.

As to your second point, you want rate and tax payers to facilitate knacker drinking?

Didn't see this edit before replying - Of course I do. It's something an absolutely massive number of people enjoy, thus making it a good use of public space. Simple as.

People need take responsibility. If they drink from cans and bottles then it’s up to them to dispose of them correctly. Though, I doubt if someone who is “ditching” is going on to a nightclub after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kingofclay

It happens like 5 times a year, it's not ideal and people should have more respect for their city but we aren't set up as an outside city, there's no bins in the vicinity and they always end up crammed very quickly. Just get the corporation out to clean it asap the next day, the joy of seeing people having fun at the Barge(even when I'm not there) is one of the highlights of the year. People shouldn't live in the city if they have a problem. I'll gladly trade places.

So you also disagree with those (including yourself) suggesting that deposit schemes should be reintroduced as it's also a ridiculous idea?

A deposit on bottles and cans is a great idea, a pub offering people free drink for cleaning up other people's mess is ridiculous. It is addressing the symptom, not the cause, and I suspect it will be a complete disaster for the pub.

Interesting to see the chairman of DLRCoCo (I think he was) on the news last night, he certainly wasn't describing DLR in the squeaky clean terms we here it is on here......

kingofclay wrote: »
    It happens like 5 times a year, it's not ideal and people should have more respect for their city but we aren't set up as an outside city, there's no bins in the vicinity and they always end up crammed very quickly. Just get the corporation out to clean it asap the next day, the joy of seeing people having fun at the Barge(even when I'm not there) is one of the highlights of the year. People shouldn't live in the city if they have a problem. I'll gladly trade places.

People who live there (and I am one) are entitled to a clean environment regardless of the weather, and don't deserve to have to endure a canal stinking of urine and a mess of bottles and take away cartons just because there is a bit of fine weather. This is personal responsibility, not the corporations.

Anyway it is all academic, the session is over from what I've seen. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

kingofclay wrote: »

Great blame deflection there. Ah it's sunny and it's the corpo's job blah blah

People shouldn't drink on the canal if they have a problem disposing of their mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

People who live there (and I am one) are entitled to a clean environment regardless of the weather, and don't deserve to have to endure a canal stinking of urine and a mess of bottles and take away cartons just because there is a bit of fine weather. This is personal responsibility, not the corporations.

Anyway it is all academic, the session is over from what I've seen. Good riddance.
    Great blame deflection there. Ah it's sunny and it's the corpo's job blah blah

People shouldn't drink on the canal if they have a problem disposing of their mess

Lads, ye're talking to the great unwashed it seems. They blame Tom, Dick, and Harry, but pardon the clowns responsible for this blight on the city.

The canal will certainly look prettier to me on a sunny day, if indeed the mob have been properly evicted.

Far more important that the authorities dispersed them, than waste our money on extra bins that they wouldn't even use.

Job well done.

Over and out.

You said "bring it home, or dispose of it correctly".

I did. But I never said you had to bring it home first. Are you the type of person to dump sweet wrappers on the street if there's no bin around? Decent people would stick it in their pocket.

So why do you think it's acceptable to dump more voluminous items, but not something that would fit in your pocket?

I did. But I never said you had to bring it home first. Are you the type of person to dump sweet wrappers on the street if there's no bin around? Decent people would stick it in their pocket.

So why do you think it's acceptable to dump more voluminous items, but not something that would fit in your pocket?

You still haven't answered my actual question though. If you wouldn't recommend somebody commute out of the city to use their house bin and then commute back into the city immediately afterwards to continue their evening, what are you recommending they do? I'm honestly at a loss here.

You still haven't answered my actual question though. If you wouldn't recommend somebody commute out of the city to use their house bin and then commute back into the city immediately afterwards to continue their evening, what are you recommending they do? I'm honestly at a loss here.

There is 2 recycling centres 15 minutes walk away max. Don't be lazy ***** and use them.

There is 2 recycling centres 15 minutes walk away max. Don't be lazy ***** and use them.

That's all I was looking for by way of an answer, had I known this previously I wouldn't have had to keep asking. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

that's a disgrace if they've totally done away with the session at the barge - really takes away from the irish culture

Advertisement