Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mess on the Grand Canal

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kingofclay

We're not an outside people it seems, people want people housed in dark bars and pubs, god forbid people would enjoy a drink in a communal outside area. I wouldn't be so sure though. Nothing about it online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's gone now but the Instagram story yesterday for both The Barge (the location, not the bar itself) and Portobello Harbour up the canal a bit showed big crowds of sessionheads :cool:

EDIT #2: the photo I posted was actually from May 25 2017, not 2018 :o Will try to source proper evidence as there was definitely a crowd on the story for Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

People who live there (and I am one) are entitled to a clean environment regardless of the weather, and don't deserve to have to endure a canal stinking of urine and a mess of bottles and take away cartons just because there is a bit of fine weather. This is personal responsibility, not the corporations.

Anyway it is all academic, the session is over from what I've seen. Good riddance.
    mattser wrote: »
    Lads, ye're talking to the great unwashed it seems. They blame Tom, Dick, and Harry, but pardon the clowns responsible for this blight on the city.

The canal will certainly look prettier to me on a sunny day, if indeed the mob have been properly evicted.

Far more important that the authorities dispersed them, than waste our money on extra bins that they wouldn't even use.

Job well done.

Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ok, this one is a screenshot from yesterday's Instagram story (mods: that means it's shared publicly for the world to see and I've blacked out the name and profile pic of the user who uploaded it) at The Barge, so a photo taken either Sunday or Monday - looks like we're back in business folks :cool:

iEj1XLT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

theyoungchap won't be happy about that roaring piss up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Well this is the ultimate example of "be careful where you get your news from" / FAKE NEWS. The crowd was tiny, and when the crowd gets big the Gardai are just moving everybody on.
    The few who are around are no problem. The place can cope with the numbers and there is no sign of a mess.
    Still think we should have a pfand/deposit scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, the bouncers in the barge were not letting people over to the canal with pints.
    Everyone drinking by the canal were drinking cans.
    It was mobbed down by portobello again and the bins were overflowing this morning again. Broken bottles everywhere :(

so its fine to go to Portobello with the cans, why are they saying specifically can't across from the barge if theres a big crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

showpony1 wrote: »
    so its fine to go to Portobello with the cans, why are they saying specifically can't across from the barge if theres a big crowd

Dunno. I suppose they can only try to control pub patrons with drinks bought in the pub.
    It's up to the Gardai to move on people drinking cans or bottles bought from an off-licence.

• Advertisement

Possible insurance issues with glasses being broken etc. if they buy in the pub, they are expected to stay within the pub boundaries.

Possible insurance issues with glasses being broken etc. if they buy in the pub, they are expected to stay within the pub boundaries.

yeah I mean going to the canal across from the barge though with cans, not with drinks from the barge. it seems odd the gardai only care about that section across from barge but not further down Portobello

yeah I mean going to the canal across from the barge though with cans, not with drinks from the barge. it seems odd the gardai only care about that section across from barge but not further down Portobello

I’ve seen the Gardai talking to drinkers further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kingofclay

Absolute bollox. Absolute pure and utter bollox. I don't even go to the barge, I've gone like once but it's still absolute bull**** Put a massive bin the vicinity over a good spell of weather and the problem will go away.

Advertisement