Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park road close

Options
  • 09-05-2018 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi
    Does anyone know what is the story with Phoenix Park with this fool Ed Sheeran playing, will it be closed off so I will not be able to cycle thought it to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They usually keep access open for non vehicular traffic, they have miles of fencing around the area the gig is itself but you've been able to get through it during previous gigs. They may however have some gates closed, or access only for those with tickets, but I don't know what the story is for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

very difficult to find:D
    Ed Sheeran Concerts
    Dates:
    From 8.00 am on Saturday 12th May to 2.00 pm on Tuesday 22nd May 2018
    Roads to be closed to vehicular traffic:

From Mountjoy Roundabout to North Road exit at Ashtown Gate
    No right turn on entry at Ashtown Gate

No left turn at Mountjoy Roundabout onto North Road from Castleknock Gate

Odd Lamp Road will be open to two-way traffic for the duration of these traffic restrictions

also roads outside park
    A request has been received from The City Council’s, Road maintenance Division for the temporary closure of the following roads to facilitate the Aiken Promotions Phoenix Park Ed Sheeran concerts on the dates and times listed below:

Location A: Blackhorse Avenue (Castleknock Road to Nephin Road), Dublin 7 from 12.00hrs to 01.00hrs each day on Wednesday 16th May 2018, Friday 18th May 2018 and Saturday 19th May 2018.

Locations B: Conyngham Road, Dublin 8, Parkgate Street, Dublin 8, Wolfe Tone Quay, Dublin 7, Ellis Quay (to James Joyce Bridge), Dublin 7, Infirmary Road & North Circular Road, (to Aughrim Street), Dublin 7, Montpelier Hill, Dublin 7, Benburb Street, Dublin 7, Liffey Street West, Dublin 7 and Temple Street West, Dublin 7 from 21.00hrs to 01.00hrs each day on Wednesday 16th May 2018, Friday 18th May 2018 and Saturday 19th May 2018.

NOTE: In addition to the above temporary road closures, the Office of Public Works will temporarily close roads in the Phoenix Park as follows:

Location C: North Road (from Mountjoy Cross to Ashtown Gate Road), Dublin 8 from 18.00hrs on Saturday 12th May 2018 to 24.00hrs on Monday 21st May 2018.

Location D: Chesterfield Avenue (from Gough Roundabout to Castleknock Gate), Dublin 8, North Road (from Zoo Road to Mountjoy Cross), Dublin 8, Ashtown Gate Road, Dublin 8, Furze Road, Dublin 8, Old Lamp Road, Dublin 8, Ordinance Survey Road, Dublin 8 on Wednesday 16th May 2018, Friday 18th May 2018 and Saturday 19th May 2018 from 12.00hrs to 01.00 hrs each day.

Fingal County Council will temporarily close Castleknock Road (from Auburn Avenue to Navan Road), Dublin 15 on Wednesday 16th May 2018, Friday 18th May 2018 and Saturday 19th May 2018 from 12.00hrs to 01.00hrs each day.

Traffic Management Plan

Major diversions will be in operation, including

Eastbound traffic on Chapelizod Road will be diverted via South Circular Road
    Westbound traffic on South Quays wishing to travel via Parkgate Street & Phoenix Park will be diverted via James Joyce Bridge Blackhall Place, Stoneybatter, Prussia Street, Old Cabra Road and Navan Road.
    Westbound traffic on South Quays wishing to travel via Parkgate Street & Conyngham Road to Chapelizod will be diverted via Johns Road.
    Pedestrian and local access will be maintained

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

This was the best map I've seen - green is closed, purple is suggested diversion:

31958745_1964445236961989_7806844212921499648_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6c34b8e0c2671a7e14ab3c79886452d4&oe=5B902F43

https://www.facebook.com/oloughlinstephen1/posts/1964445430295303

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

its only one small section of road they are closing. from the roundabout inside castleknock gate over to ashtown gate. signs have been up all week saying just that.

what i find is mad is that is for 10 full days. how many gigs (is gigs the right word to say here, they aren't really gigs are they ;)) is he doing? is there some other shows on?

although, i wouldn't be surprised to see further closures when the actual shows take place

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm surprised at the Blackhorse Avenue partial closure, the last lot of gigs they had there it wasn't closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Seve OB wrote: »
    its only one small section of road they are closing. from the roundabout inside castleknock gate over to ashtown gate. signs have been up all week saying just that.

what i find is mad is that is for 10 full days. how many gigs (is gigs the right word to say here, they aren't really gigs are they ;)) is he doing? is there some other shows on?

although, i wouldn't be surprised to see further closures when the actual shows take place

The routine closure of Chesterfield Avenue at weekends over the summer also kicked in this past weekend, so that may be a further complication this coming weekend and next once they close the north Road, unless they lift that restriction in light of the concert-related one?

I know you can still generally cycle that section when closed, but just worth being aware of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They'd be setting up Bloom soon enough around the visitors centre so that would also lead to disruption. Not worth visiting the park by any means other than foot for the days that is on.

Weepsie wrote: »
    They'd be setting up Bloom soon enough around the visitors centre so that would also lead to disruption. Not worth visiting the park by any means other than foot for the days that is on.

loads of it already set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Well holy god. There was less diversions when the Pope was playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hi, Anyone know if the cycle lane beside Chesterfield ave will be open on the evenings of the gig - not clear on the Garda page. I guess it would be a nightmare to cycle with so many pedestrians around but it would be nice to have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

AlanG wrote: »
    Hi, Anyone know if the cycle lane beside Chesterfield ave will be open on the evenings of the gig - not clear on the Garda page. I guess it would be a nightmare to cycle with so many pedestrians around but it would be nice to have the option.

If the road is closed, you can be assured there'll be nobody keeping the cycle lanes open.

It'll be thronged, avoid at all costs.

is chesterfield closing?

i havent seen any signs to indicate it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Seve OB wrote: »
    is chesterfield closing?

i havent seen any signs to indicate it is

Current closure info on the Phoenix Park website:

Current Road and Gate Closures

Ed Sheeran Concerts
    Dates of Events:
    Wednesday 16th May ; Friday 18th May and Saturday 19th May 2018
    Chesterfield Avenue East Bound Towards the City 1600 – 0100
    Chesterfield Avenue West Bound Towards Castleknock 1800 – 0100
    (Provision made for closure from 1600 hours should it be deemed necessary on safety grounds)

Fountain Road and North Road 1600 – 0100
    (From Fountain Road to Mountjoy Roundabout)
    Ordnance Survey Road 1600 – 0100
    Acres Road 1400 – 0100
    Military Road and Glen Road will be open one way from 1600 – 0100
    Traffic will be halted or diverted at the following locations:
    From Gough Roundabout to Knockmaroon Gate 1800 – 0100
    Gates to be closed:
    Cabra Gate 1600 – 0700
    Ashtown Gate 1600 – 0700
    North Circular Road Gate (Exit Only) 1600 – 0700
    Knockmaroon Gate – Exit only from 1600 – 0700
    Islandbridge Gate – Exit Only
    Please note the temporary partial closure of Chesterfield Avenue between the Phoenix and Mountjoy Roundabouts will be suspended over this weekend only
    Ed Sheeran Concerts
    Dates: From 8.00 am on Saturday 12th May to 2.00 pm on Tuesday 22nd May 2018
    From Mountjoy Roundabout to North Road exit at Ashtown Gate
    No right turn on entry at Ashtown Gate
    No left turn at Mountjoy Roundabout onto North Road from Castleknock Gate
    Odd Lamp Road will be open to two-way traffic for the duration of these traffic restrictions
    Chesterfield Avenue Temporary Partial Closure
    Chesterfield Avenue will have temporary partial closure at Weekends and Bank Holidays only, from 8pm on Friday 4th May to 8pm on Sunday 30th September 2018, from the Phoenix to Mountjoy Roundabouts. An alternative route will be in place along the Odd Lamp Road. Please click here for more detailed information. The OPW will closely monitor traffic flows in order to minimise disturbance to users of the Park.

So in short, expect disruption on basically all roads there whatever days the concerts are on I'd say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Don't forget the Stones are in town on Thursday so North Circular on that day might be a bit of a nightmare. I'll be taking a very roundabout way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Did anyone attempt the park yesterday eve? I used the canal instead, it's about half a KM longer and took me a couple of mins longer than average but it was lovely. Those damn kissing gates are a PITA though! I might use it as an alternative route on days when I'm not in a hurry :).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I went through it yesterday around 6:30, Castleknock Gate to Islandbridge gate. It was fine. The Guards waved me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Yea I went through the Park yesterday, just took the 1st exit on the 1st roundabout and it was well quite, only going to the 1st roundabout was busy and when you come out at the last roundabout, but a lot better that I thought it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

Went straight down chesterfield ave yesterday, main gate at the courts to castleknock gate no problems @5:30

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Did it also. Was nicer than normal as could take chesterfield avenue road the whole way rather than having to negotiate the dangerous road crossings from the cycle paths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement