Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G Speeds

Options
  • 09-05-2018 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    When I first switched to Eir, I was getting speeds of 40Mbps on 4G. Then I was lucky to get 20Mbps. Then 15. Then 10.
    I’ve never had any complaints at those speeds, it’s plenty for what I need.
    The problem is now when I’m struggling to hit 5Mbps and I’m having streaming trouble.

Is there any reason for such a reduction in speed? Is 2 or 3Mbps download considered an acceptable 4G service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Hi.
    When I first switched to Eir, I was getting speeds of 40Mbps on 4G. Then I was lucky to get 20Mbps. Then 15. Then 10.
    I’ve never had any complaints at those speeds, it’s plenty for what I need.
    The problem is now when I’m struggling to hit 5Mbps and I’m having streaming trouble.

Is there any reason for such a reduction in speed? Is 2 or 3Mbps download considered an acceptable 4G service?
    Hi Will I Am Not,

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Please feel free to PM me your full name and account number, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭poff

What are the highest possible speeds eir supports for:
    • 3G?
    • 4G?

Upload AND download speed please.

My phone supports (copied from the manufacturer's website):

LTE/LTE-A
    DL 4CA/256QAM, UL CA/64QAM, 4x4 MIMO
    Supports up to DL CAT16/ UL CAT13 (1Gbps/150 Mbps) depending on carrier support

Just wondering how good the speed possibly can be. On the eir website it says:

Everything you wanted to know about 4G mobile speeds

but it does NOT tell me about the speed apart from:

"4G (also known as LTE or long term evolution) is the 4th generation mobile network that is currently being rolled out across Ireland. 2G brought calls and texts, 3G introduced data and now 4G brings speed. It will mean much faster data speeds for smartphones and mobile devices - up to 10 times faster than 3G."

Again, what are the highest possible down- and upload speeds for 3G and 4G that eir supports? (in Mbits per second please)

If the band (800MHz or 1800MHz) makes a difference, include that as well (I believe, that these are the frequencies eir uses)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’m getting 5mbs download at the moment. I used to get 40mbs.

I sent my details through pm and I was told that there must be a fault on my line. I explained it was my mobile and not my landline I was enquiring about and haven’t heard anything back since. That was a month ago.

That sucks all the way - speed and service.

Fault on your line? If you were talking about 4G, they surely must have guessed that you were not talking about a landline. Or, am I expecting too much knowledge from the support agents?

However, it would be nice to know the possible speeds and reasons why they might be dropping over time. Is there a cap applied? Or does eir not keep up with a growing demand? It would be nice if eir could be little more transparent. I keep reading "open eir" on vans but I am not sure where that "open" comes in.

As I said a few times on other threads, I know, that "eir" is not the same as the "eir Representative", even they are obviously representing eir.I guess, they have to do as they are told and the eir policies on fixing problems and dealing with customers don't seem to be too customer friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

I’m getting 5mbs download at the moment. I used to get 40mbs.

I sent my details through pm and I was told that there must be a fault on my line. I explained it was my mobile and not my landline I was enquiring about and haven’t heard anything back since. That was a month ago.
    Hi Will I Am Not,

Apologies for the miscommunication.

I would reccomend contacting our support team if that is the case, there may be an issue with your sim or handset.

You may need to update your sim card if you have not done so recently or the fault may be with your handset.

Thanks

Thomas

• Advertisement

? speeds? Is there an answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

poff wrote: »
    Your wasting your time. Eir know the that nobody gets even near to the theoretical speeds on their over congested mobile networks. Honestly the worst network I have used. Pretty much at least once a week I regret signing up for a contract with them. Over a year left and I still count down the day till I can get out of contract and never use them again.

I would not recommend long contracts. I always buy my phone sim free and get, if contract, a sim only contract to be able to get out of it within 30 days. As nice as it is to have a speedy connection, I am fine with bad internet connections apart from home internet. The advantage of today's phones, there are quite a few dual sim phones available where one can test whether it does what one requires (I have one of those). I am moving from eir to a network where I most likely can not expect any support. But it is so cheap, that it is fine. From a company like eir, I expect good support and, as I hardly got it (I did on rare occasions!), I might as well move away from them.

If you have an apple product, I recommend to break it just to get the pleasure of their support. It is outstanding!

My personal history of frustrations with eir is long, very very long. And when I read threads here, it is not just me who has that kind of history.

I am wondering whether it is really a secret justifying not telling customers about what speeds to expect and what speeds are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

poff wrote: »
    Older (Majority) cells are 160Mb theoretical, about 145 max if you're the only one using a cell and with good-great RSSI. 
    Newer (Minority) cells should offer 250Mb though I've not tested Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Yeah the speeds are still absolutely pathetic :rolleyes:
    On my break here in work, thought I’d try and stream a bit of football... 1.2Mbps on 4 bars of 4G? Seriously? I was getting that nearly a decade ago.

• Advertisement

I am on between 2 and 3 bars of 4G and, if I am really lucky, I can get 30Mbits. It only happens on rare occasions. Mostly, at quiet times, I might get 15 to 20Mbits and during busy times, when everybody is on, I might only get 1Mbit. Right now, where I am, there are no other options available. But I keep checking...

I also think that there is quite a bit of room for improvements. I also think, that a minimum reliable download/upload speed should be provided in these times. 4G speeds of 1.2 Mbits are are meaningless and not worth talking about.

I went away from eir for my phone and now, I only have 3G. It is fine, no crazy speeds needed (why 4G if speeds are not available most of the time). 3G speeds can be pretty decent. It lets me watch youtube videos without a problem. I also can make phone calls without looking for the right spot to make sure the connection works. By the way, eir, lack of good support was the reason to check my options. I usually do not move away from a service - until I get frustrated and find something better or less painful. By lack of support, I also talk about the lack of information, my question about 3G and 4G speeds was never answered by eir. If there is no information about speeds available, and speeds can be as bad as unusable, 4G becomes pretty meaningless (the emphasis here is not on "pretty").

Advertisement