Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook

Options
  • 09-05-2018 10:55am

Some help for choosing an Apple macbook.

My niece wants one for college. I am buying one as a gift for her but I have no idea which one to go for. I know nothing about them at all. All I know is that it has to be a Macbook!
    A quick google and Ive found many different types so Ive only confused myself further.

Any suggestions on what to buy? Budget is €1500 give or take.

Many thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Wow. Best uncle ever! :pac:

This link should help you decide.

https://www.imore.com/macbook-buyers-guide

Also, check Komplett. You might find a better deal on there: https://www.komplett.ie/laptops/laptops/#price/brand/5C4681CE/feature/sorting/Popularity/page/1

• Registered Users Posts: 17 glinnwest

2016 13 inch without touch bar seems to be right in the price point also, 12 inch Macbook could be just right, but it won't be as good performance wise as 13 inch
    Do not buy macbook air as it wasn't updated in a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It depends really. What course is she doing? And what will she need it for? There's three options that are in budget just about:

Macbook Air: Very old school laptop at this stage. Old processor, old design. poor screen, it really should have been retired a few years ago. But it is the cheapest option. And is portable with good battery life. Just not comparable to any modern Windows Laptop in it's price range.

Macbook: This is the confusingly named natural successor to the Macbook Air. It's smaller in every way to the Air. 12.5" screen, slimmed design which makes it even more portable. It has a modern processor, albeit a lower power/slow one. If her use is only basic it should be fine. One of the main problems that people have with this machine is lack of ports. It only has 2, 1 USB C port and a headphone jack. That means you will need a dongle to charge and plug in a USB stick for example. But I don't think this is as big a deal as some make out.

Macbook Pro: This is just over budget at 1549 from Apple directly. It is a lovely machine. But it has limited storage at 128GB (most options here have limited storage however...). It has a 13" screen, which is fantastic quality as well as a relatively powerful processor and 8GB of RAM. It should be good for most tasks really. It has a good battery life and is still very slim and portable. Like the Macbook it has limited ports. Only 2 USB C ports. But I haven't found this to be a big issue on mine, and it is easily expanded with a dongle if need be, but I rarely use mine.

In my opinion I think the Macbook Pro makes most sense for an all rounder. It is expensive and it is worth while looking elsewhere for the best price. It is also worth considering that your niece can likely avail of some % discount as a student on Mac systems. It could be a saving of 10% if she's lucky.

Many thanks folks.
    A great help. I'll go with the pro version so.

This the correct one?
    https://www.komplett.ie/apple-macbook-pro-13-3-2-3-ghz-i5-8-gb-128-gb-space-grey/80048059/product/9474

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'll tell one indisputable fact... I bet it doesn't have to be a mac book :)

• Advertisement

I'll tell one indisputable fact... I bet it doesn't have to be a mac book :)

Probably but it's what she wants

That Komplett machine is the most recent 2017 model. The one to go for if you're ready. Be aware that the Komplett page suggests you can upgrade the RAM. This is not possible, nor is it possible to upgrade the storage.

People love to **** on Macs, but they are lovely machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've a macbook pro.
    probably have it 4, maybe 5 years now. can't fault it. once it went belly up, but was a known issue, in internal lead. cost about 70 bucks to repair in apple shop (compub)

personally i wouldn't waste my time with anything other than a pro

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

search for a 2015 model(old stock). they have more ports, faster CPU clock and better keyboard.

serox_21 wrote: »
    search for a 2015 model(old stock). they have more ports, faster CPU clock and better keyboard.

The CPU of the most recent Macbook Pro turbo boosts faster than the 2015 model, and it is a better benchmarking processor anyway. Not that it makes much difference to most anyway. USB C is a fantastic port, it is the way of the future, no point getting a 3 year old Macbook now unless budget was a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

do they not put disc plyers in them at all anymore?

Seve OB wrote: »

Disc drives have gone the way of cassettes. Not many use them, and for the most part laptops do not include them. Good riddance I say. Haven't used a disc in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Komplett used to be a well regarded retailer, not really sure they hold that title anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Seve OB wrote: »

Nope. But you can buy a external SuperDrive and connect it if you need to access cd’s

Advertisement