Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard to Fit Tyres

Options
  • 09-05-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Well lads,

Anybody got any tips on fitting clincher tyres that are extremely hard to fit to rims. I have recently bought a pair of 23c Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres to replace a pair of worn Pro4's. There was no bother with the original tyres.

I must have given at least 1.5 hours fitting them a month ago when i bought them, and i got a puncture Sunday, and spent an hour trying to get the tyre back on the rim last night.
    I used the washing up liquid trick.

So has anybody got any wisdom for me or do i buy a new tyre?

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I make sure to pinch both beads into the middle of the wheel as quite a few a tubeless compatible now and they can be very tight. I haven't had a tyre in a long time that wouldn't go on by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Keep rolling til your palms bleed, then give up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ditch the types and try a different brand!

If they are that difficult to take off/put on, imagine what it would be like replacing a tube on the side of the road in the winter when it’s dark and wet?

Nah dump them... life is hard enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Soap on the rim edge.
    Clean off afterwards.
    Soak tyres in warm water.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

Yeah got a puncture on Sunday morning a mile from home, just rang herself to come get me as i knew it would be a nightmare.

• Advertisement

What wheels do you have?

I use Conti GP2000 and I can put them on and off without using levers.

To me, being easy to fit/remove is a vital tyre characteristic!

crosswords wrote: »
    Soap on the rim edge.
    Clean off afterwards.
    Soak tyres in warm water.

That will get them on, but getting them off when your standing on the side of the road Is a major consideration no?

Vision 30 wheelset. I had no bother with old Pro4's though on the same wheels.
    I wonder is it just a bogey tyre??

Being stuck on the side of the road at any time of the year struggling to get the tyre back on is just a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Get a really good big tyre lever.
    I have the below tool kit and the levers (black, centre top) would possibly fit a motorcycle tyre on a rim (that maybe a bit of an exaggeration), and has helped with plenty of tricky fittings.....I'll regulary bring one with me on a spin, esp in winter.

Tool-Kit.jpg

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Get a really good big tyre lever.
    I have the below tool kit and the levers (black, centre top) would possibly fit a motorcycle tyre on a rim (that maybe a bit of an exaggeration), and has helped with plenty of tricky fittings.....I'll regulary bring one with me on a spin, esp in winter.

Tool-Kit.jpg

Thanks for that, sounds like an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I recently bought a Pro4 Endurance (folding 25c) and can't say I've had any issues with the fit. Used to have problems with all tyres when I had Giant wheels, but no issues with Shimano wheels.

Have to say I've not been impressed with the amount of punctures I've picked up with the Pro4s so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Borderfox wrote: »
    I make sure to pinch both beads into the middle of the wheel as quite a few a tubeless compatible now and they can be very tight. I haven't had a tyre in a long time that wouldn't go on by hand

This is the best tip. pushing the beads into the middle (all around the tyre) gives more "slack" to squeeze it on.

Aside from that i just "cheat" and use the tyre levers to put the tyre back on. I know it is frowned upon and is the incorrect approach, but doing it carefully i have yet to damage the replacement tube & it saves time. I put a tiny amount of air in the replacement tube to keep it in the middle of the tyre and out of the way when i am levering it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The other option I have especially with any Vittoria tyres I have is to put them on my partners wheels (giant dash 3) and pump up to 120psi and leave them on for a day or two

The Giant wheels seems to be really easy to get any tyre onto and both my sets of wheels are tubeless

I've Continental Ultra Sport tyres and they are incredibly tight on the stock Trek rims (Bontrager)

I struggle with two tyre levers to get them on and off.

The only way I can change them is squeezing the bead in the middle of the tyre and feeding the slack around the wheel.

Sometimes I need to tie the slack in place with a bit of string to pop the last bit of bead over.

Definitely going to look at changing tyres and perhaps even rims in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭BikeRacer

Kool Stop Tyre Jack. Have one myself, works a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I went through something similar with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres when I tried to fit them.  They were extremely tight and kept popping out of the rim.  I must have spent at least an hour just trying to get one on and gave up trying to fit the second one as I was fed up and my thumbs had blisters.  I saw a trick online about using cable ties to keep the tyre in place when fitting them.  I had to replace a tube on my bike recently and was not looking forward to having to refit the Marathon plus.  Thankfully I think being on the wheel a while has made it easier to fit although I still needed to use tyre levers to get the last of the tyre back in place.  I know levers are not advised for refitting a tyre due to the risk of puncturing the tube but I took a chance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Kool Stop Tyre Jack. Have one myself, works a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K

I have demanded they take my money. Thank you.

Is this too big for a saddle bag? I am buying it regardless, will be worth it to have at home even if not on rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭BikeRacer

Fian wrote: »
    I have demanded they take my money. Thank you.

Is this too big for a saddle bag? I am buying it regardless, will be worth it to have at home even if not on rides.

It's 23cm long so a small bit bigger than a typical mini pump, and fairly light at 85g. If you've a large saddle bag it might fit. Very handy to have in the tool box regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

I was having major problems with Conti 4 Seasons and my Fulcrum Racing 3s... saw a video on the Cyclist mag YouTube channel that worked a treat... off and on without levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Jay, I've yet to meet a tyre I couldn't fit by hand. some have come close, I will admit.

call up some eve and I'll show you how we do it in the workshop.

The tip above about getting the two beads into the central well is very important..it gives you that little bit more slack to play with, which can be just enough.

Swearing always helps, too. :-)

Paul.

• Advertisement
Advertisement