Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustrated trying to get an alarm

Options
  • 09-05-2018 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

I have a new build just about to be handed over to me and I've been trying to get a quote for a wireless alarm that I can remote manage without ongoing payments.

I have tried companies that show Siemens and GSD devices and they're also insisting that what I want can't be done.

Sample response:
    "The main systems out there at
    the moment ar HKC,GSD or Pyronix. All good systems. If you want to monitor
    it yourself it is still going to cost at least €10 euro per month for sim
    card cost or app management which ever you go for."

Does anyone know where I can get an installer in County Clare that's not obsessed with signing people up to contracts?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

GSD & Siemens would have free apps & free remote access via app.
    Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

KoolKid wrote: »
    GSD & Siemens would have free apps & free remote access via app.
    Is that what you mean?

Yeah, do you think I'm causing an issue by saying self monitoring?
    I just want an app and the ability to check it remotely and get alerts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Both systems are well capable of that.I think whats happening is you are coming across installers who are inexperienced with these systems or they simply want to sell you the system they want to use and tie you to monthly payments
    I would recommend you Contact GSD.They will put you in contact with GSD installers in your area.

Both systems are well capable of that.I think whats happening is you are coming across installers who are inexperienced with these systems or they simply want to sell you the system they want to use and tie you to monthly payments

Yeah that's the impression I'm getting. I don't mind people trying to upsell but I do hate when they try to pretend that it's the only option.
    I would recommend you Contact GSD.They will put you in contact with GSD installers in your area.

Yeah, have done that and I'm waiting for a response. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 davehogan100

The other possibility is your coming across installers who are not willing to sell you something that wouldn't send a signal if your power is cut. All the "no ongoing charge" systems you see use your broadband router to notify you in the event of an activation. If the power goes you've had it.

You would be far better installing a system with either GSM/Wifi or GSM so if your power goes you still get a notification. HKC, Pyronix, GSD, Siemens(I Believe) and Risco offer such solutions.

Free isn't always better and if you have a break in your not alerted to it may very well get extremely expensive.

• Advertisement

The other possibility is your coming across installers who are not willing to sell you something that wouldn't send a signal if your power is cut. All the "no ongoing charge" systems you see use your broadband router to notify you in the event of an activation. If the power goes you've had it.

If that's what they're doing then it's a bit cheeky. If I asked for an alarm and didn't want any monitoring they would install one without question. Why is it somehow an issue when I want a little step further and want to be able to remote arm it and keep a cursory eye on it while I'm out.
    You would be far better installing a system with either GSM/Wifi or GSM so if your power goes you still get a notification. HKC, Pyronix, GSD, Siemens(I Believe) and Risco offer such solutions.

Look I know this probably comes across as a bit snotty but I'd also be better off hiring a security guard but that's not the product or service I'm looking for. I am fully aware of the benefits of a fully monitored service but I'm unwilling to pay for it.
    Free isn't always better and if you have a break in your not alerted to it may very well get extremely expensive.

If I have a break in I'll claim from my insurance.
    I've weighed up the pros and cons and I'd rather pay slightly more for my insurance and a lot less for my alarm and go unmonitored.

You are only getting part of the story there as well I'm afraid.
    In the event of a power cut or network down Siemens /Vanderbilt can notify you in less than a minute if you want.
    GSD can notify you in 5 minutes.
    GSD will also notify you instantly if network connection is lost after an alarm event or even entry time started.
    On some of the paid options network fails are only notified after 5 hours 😲
    Keep shopping around would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

We got a wireless alarm installed recently. Its a HKC. It has a sim card in it.

For 7 a month we have an app to remote activate it and get alerts. But it also sends text and can be remote set via sms. So the advantage there is it does not rely on have broadband or even power since it can run off its battery backup. And all you need is a mobile signal. You dont need data on since its app alerts and sms.

Edited to add. To be clear there is no call centre monitoring. Its entirely self monitored. You can setup multiple contacts on it so it texts both of us. Theres no contract either, we could deactivate it whenever. But why would you when getting piece of mind for this cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

For 7 a month we have an app to remote activate it and get alerts. But it also sends text and can be remote set via sms. So the advantage there is it does not rely on have broadband or even power since it can run off its battery backup. And all you need is a mobile signal. You dont need data on since its app alerts and sms.

Edited to add. To be clear there is no call centre monitoring. Its entirely self monitored. You can setup multiple contacts on it so it texts both of us. Theres no contract either, we could deactivate it whenever. But why would you when getting piece of mind for this cheap.

That is proper self notification, free in my book just is not good enough.

When you think € 7 a month and people can't afford that.

You are only getting part of the story there as well I'm afraid.
    In the event of a power cut or network down Siemens /Vanderbilt can notify you in less than a minute if you want.
    GSD can notify you in 5 minutes.
    GSD will also notify you instantly if network connection is lost after an alarm event or even entry time started.
    On some of the paid options network fails are only notified after 5 hours 😲
    Keep shopping around would be my advice.

I know, I've done a decent bit of research on this and I'm fully aware of the limitations and benefits of IP based monitoring vs GSM.
    I'm don't like perpetual contracts and refuse to pay for Sky when I can have my own HTPC with satellite tuners and get most of the channels for free.

I'm wondering if it's just easier to get someone to install an unmonitored Siemens or GSD alarm and just add the IP card afterwards.
    Do installers have to supply the engineer code or can they insist on locking me out?

I've an IT background (though have never soldered), would I easily be able to finish the install myself afterwards?

It seems mental that I'd have to go down this route but apparently my expectations are too flawed to be met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

Hi I'm looking for something like this for my house. Can I just ask who installed it for you and how much it cost you all in? Thanks

kub wrote: »
    That is proper self notification, free in my book just is not good enough.

Sorry, not looking to pick an argument but this response makes no sense to me.
    I'm assuming you're an installer.....

Do you refuse to install unmonitored alarms?
    I assume not as the majority of people I know have unmonitored alarms so installers must still be happy to do these jobs.
    So with that in mind do you not agree that an unmonitored alarm with additional remote management capabilities is better than a vanilla unmonitored alarm?
    Assuming so why should people not have the option of going down this route?
    I'm not looking for someone to design a bespoke product that doesn't exist, merely looking to get an existing product installed that doesn't involve signing up for a further (arguably better) service that costs more money.
    When you think € 7 a month and people can't afford that.

Thats simply an awful attitude to have. I can definitely afford 7 a month. That has no bearing on this though because its a service I don't want to pay for so why should I have to?
    I can also afford a new BMW but I drive a 9 year old car because I'm not in the habit of spending money on things I don't want.

Thanks Pixel Trawler.
    You can probably see now from my other frustrated posts that I'm aware of this service just don't want it.
    I can certainly see the benefits of it, and wouldn't criticise the use of it but it's not what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Its not a huge issue to sign up for €5 or €8 per month. Margins in our install business are so skinny that the ONLY option is to upsell some kind of ongoing service. However to help with your aversion what you can do is fit the HKC wire free system and use the GSM Q communicator with a ready to go EIR SIM card. This means you only pay for what you use and top it up as required. You must use an EIR SIM as its the only one that is compatible with the HKC technology ( ie not 4G ) Just remember if you don`t pay at least €5 every 6 months EIR will delete the SIM

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Conar wrote:
    Sorry, not looking to pick an argument but this response makes no sense to me. I'm assuming you're an installer.....

I am and neither am I looking for an argument.

Conar wrote:
    Do you refuse to install unmonitored alarms? I assume not as the majority of people I know have unmonitored alarms so installers must still be happy to do these jobs. So with that in mind do you not agree that an unmonitored alarm with additional remote management capabilities is better than a vanilla unmonitored alarm? Assuming so why should people not have the option of going down this route? I'm not looking for someone to design a bespoke product that doesn't exist, merely looking to get an existing product installed that doesn't involve signing up for a further (arguably better) service that costs more money.

The systems that I specify have some form of notification whether that is the convience of self monitoring by the customer or the security of professional monitoring for the customer.
    My philosophy is quite simple, an alarm is only as good as the response it gets, a system without notification is a waste of time unless you are lucky enough to have neighbours who are strangely at home all of the time and have nothing better to do than to be listening out for an alarm activating.
    No I do not install systems without notification of some type.

I cannot speak for all installers though.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Its not a huge issue to sign up for €5 or €8 per month. Margins in our install business are so skinny that the ONLY option is to upsell some kind of ongoing service. However to help with your aversion what you can do is fit the HKC wire free system and use the GSM Q communicator with a ready to go EIR SIM card. This means you only pay for what you use and top it up as required. You must use an EIR SIM as its the only one that is compatible with the HKC technology ( ie not 4G ) Just remember if you don`t pay at least €5 every 6 months EIR will delete the SIM

Hope this helps

Thanks, I appreciate the low margins issue and sympathise.
    The GSM Q is a decent alternative but it wouldn't be usable by my wife O probably falls a little short of what I need. Thanks though.

I am and neither am I looking for an argument.

The systems that I specify have some form of notification whether that is the convience of self monitoring by the customer or the security of professional monitoring for the customer.
    My philosophy is quite simple, an alarm is only as good as the response it gets, a system without notification is a waste of time unless you are lucky enough to have neighbours who are strangely at home all of the time and have nothing better to do than to be listening out for an alarm activating.
    No I do not install systems without notification of some type.

I cannot speak for all installers though.

I do get where you're coming from there and maybe that's the way things are moving but I still see value in unmonitored alarms.
    I work shift and I'm often on nights. Items can be replaced but there's a peace of mind in knowing that an alarm is activated at night while people are in bed that will alert them to potential dangers. I'd like to be able to check that they've remembered to turn it on, and would hope the alarm activating would scare off the burglars.
    I know that getting a notification on my phone won't send the Gardaí to my house but its another layer of protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

jeffk wrote:
    What I meant was blocked as in nothing will load, some of facebook newsfeed did, but most like pictures etc didnt, magisk had a meltdown even when it was in the white-list

Are home alarms not a waste of money and time? Nobody pays any attention to them when they go off, and the siren is considered to be a social nuisance. Even the owner would be better off not returning to his/her property while the thieves are there, for their own personal safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Conar wrote: »
    I do get where you're coming from there and maybe that's the way things are moving but I still see value in unmonitored alarms.
    I work shift and I'm often on nights. Items can be replaced but there's a peace of mind in knowing that an alarm is activated at night while people are in bed that will alert them to potential dangers. I'd like to be able to check that they've remembered to turn it on, and would hope the alarm activating would scare off the burglars.
    I know that getting a notification on my phone won't send the Gardao my house but its another layer of protection.

You can always add an ip camera and should the alarm go off, look in yourself when on shift and alert the gardai. I'm in the same shift boat and it's very reassuring for the missus that I can look in overnight if needed.

You can always add an ip camera and should the alarm go off, look in yourself when on shift and alert the gardai. I'm in the same shift boat and it's very reassuring for the missus that I can look in overnight if needed.

I intend to have a few external cameras but won't be having any internally. My wife hates having her picture taken and cameras in the house would send her potty.

• Advertisement

There is noting wrong with un-monitored alarms & yes IP monitoring is obviousally a step better. But insurance companies and certification bodies accept both of these on insurance policy's.
    Any good installer would be able to install most systems , so an installer refusing to install what you want has either limited experience or again is wanting to sell you something you dont want.
    The affordability argument makes no sense to be honest.
    A person could afford €100 a month but doesn't see the value in it. So why should they be forced to pay it for a service they don't want of need.
    Some other points on the subscription model...
    The price is only going to go one way. All going well you will have your alarm for 10-15 years or more. You could bet your mortgage that the price is not going to be the same then.
    You are subscribed to the manufacturer service so you have no ability to shop around for this service.So you are tied to this for the life of the system.
    Would you buy a car if the deal was you must return to the dealer for all your petrol for the life of the car, even if the garage down the road is cheaper?
    You can also opt for the free options with faster polling & have a self managed sim card as a back up without being tied to any contract or provider.

PS. I am also an installer with over 30 years experience. I also believe in the ability of the consumer to do their own research & choose the system they want/need.
    I believe as an installer , part of the job is to advice & explain the differences.
    When explained , most people choose the free options because of the faster poll fail notifications & then go for central station monitoring if they want more secure options.
    In reality , if you get an alarm, or multiple alarms, followed by a poll fail its all about how quick you can get someone to the property not whether you continue to get text messages or alerts.

I know that getting a notification on my phone won't send the Gardaí to my house but its another layer of protection.

In all honesty neither will an alarm event on a monitored alarm. I would only rely on their quick response to a panic alarm.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd say that unmonitored alarms still actually do the most important thing that most people want from an alarm.

Most peoples biggest fear is someone breaking in when they are upstairs in bed. A dumb alarm still handles that, alerts you and gives you time to take action (lock bedroom door, call Gardai, etc.).

Remote monitoring is a nice to have, but not really vital in most peoples minds IMO. After all if someone breaks in when you are out, the insurance will cover it anyway.

However the way that the market will actually go in the next 2/3 years is that it will be flooded by fairly advanced, DIY self install, alarm systems from massive companies like Amazon, Google, Samsung/ADT, etc. which will have IP self monitoring and remote control out of the box for free.

Free IP monitoring/remote control will become the new base level for all alarm systems.

You will still have the option to pay extra for a secondary GSM backup channel or even professional monitoring if you want. But they will rightfully be an optional extra.

We are also going to see far more cloud IP cameras in various forms and self monitoring of those also becoming the norm. The market is facing some serious disruption here.

I think that professional installers and specialist alarm systems from the like of HKC will still absolutely have their place. But they will have to be realistic about this new reality and evolve to match consumers expectations.

bk wrote: »
    I'd say that unmonitored alarms still actually do the most important thing that most people want from an alarm.

Most peoples biggest fear is someone breaking in when they are upstairs in bed. A dumb alarm still handles that, alerts you and gives you time to take action (lock bedroom door, call Gardai, etc.).

This is exactly my thinking. Really it's an alarm to alert us that someone is breaking in at night.
    I will not register the alarm on my insurance because I don't want to give them any outs if we forget to set it.
    I don't see what people think having HKCs paid self monitored service is giving me that deserves an ongoing charge.
    I like to be able to remotely access my HTPC, and other smart devices in my house. This is all free.
    I want to do the same with my alarm and I couldn't give a damn that someone can cut power to my house and disable it. If a thief is going to cut power to the house then they are pretty determined to get in and I don't think any alarm is going to stop them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I will not register the alarm on my insurance because I don't want to give them any outs if we forget to set it.

Yes, I do the same and recommend everyone do the same. I find anyway that if you shop around (or threaten to do so) you can get the same discount anyway without having your alarm system on it.
    I don't see what people think having HKCs paid self monitored service is giving me that deserves an ongoing charge.

Well in fairness to them, it does cover the cost of the sim and data, which is fair enough. However two things about that:

1) The cost for it seems high. For instance Honeywell have a similar GSM monitored/controlled system. They give the sim monitoring free for 2 years and then charge just €23 per year after that for the SIM, which seems closer to how much it should cost.

2) If people even want or really need GSM monitored systems or if free monitoring over ethernet/wifi is enough to satisfy most peoples wants (very likely IMO). GSM can always be offered as an optional extra backup comms channel for improved security.

It is a pity, because HKC are an Irish company and they make very reliable and well regarded hardware/systems, but I do fell like they went down the wrong path with their comms.

It reminds me of Climote, another Irish company, that made a smart thermostat that required GSM for it's comms to control it and a €50 per year subscription (now reduced to €20). They had the market to themselves for a while, but that has been wiped out by the entry on Nest/Hive/Netatmo/Tado/etc. smart thermostats, all which use ethernet/wifi for their comms and have free app control out of the box.

I really hope the same doesn't happen to HKC. I hope they realise this mistake and are working away on a new panel that has ethernet/wifi built in, with free monitoring/remote access and <5 minutes polling built in for free. GSM as a backup channel can be offered as an optional paid extra, along with professional monitoring.

If they bring something like that to the market, along with their quality hardware/sensors, then I'd be first in line to buy it and could whole heartedly recommend it. I hope they are, or I fear they will end up getting left behind.
    I want to do the same with my alarm and I couldn't give a damn that someone can cut power to my house and disable it. If a thief is going to cut power to the house then they are pretty determined to get in and I don't think any alarm is going to stop them.

Yep, it is the fallacy of some sort of perfect security. It doesn't exist. All we can do is hope to do enough to discourage a thief and that they might try somewhere easier instead.

BTW Conar, if you haven't already you should check out the home automation forum here on boards, it sounds like you might be interested in a lot of the topics there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

When you think €7 a month and people can't afford that.

I recently set up an alarm installation for a family member. While putting the HKC app on the phone they asked how much it cost. They didn't want to spend the €7.
    Same person spends €60 on the lottery each month.

Effects wrote: »
    I recently set up an alarm installation for a family member. While putting the HKC app on the phone they asked how much it cost. They didn't want to spend the €7.
    Same person spends €60 on the lottery each month.

There will always be something else people spend more money on.
    That's like a car salesman complaining you won't spend €400 a month on the car he wants to sell you but you can happily pay €1500 for your mortgage.
    People have the right to choose what they want to spend their hard earned money on. And generally they won't want to spend it on what's available for free elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I have a wireless HKC alarm installed by a user on here.
    Although it does not have app, or wifi support, it does have a SIM on-board with no on going subscription cost as such. When installed it was fitted with a Meteor (now Eir) Sim.
    The system can be controlled by text, and also alerts me (and my wife; multiple numbers can be added) by text if there are any alerts.
    I am only charged based on the cost for the SMS texts it actually sends.
    It may not be exactly what you have described but for me it is that step up from unmonitored without any on-going subscription cost locked in.

It is technically a billpay sim (rolling contract ), with no standing charges, so there is no 'subscription cost'; I have paid to the account in advance, so that each month only the texts that have been sent are billed, and already covered by the positive balance on the account (approx. €50 since installed ~4 years ago) .

I agree. I have mine on prepay (as a back up) & €20 goes a hell of a long way compared to €60 or €90 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

People have the right to choose what they want to spend their hard earned money on.

Then he had no right to complain when his house was broken into because he had no alarm in place. And no right to complain about the insurance company that didn't cover the break in due to him not informing them that he didn't have a working alarm.

Advertisement