Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Works

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

im confused. how did the house get distroyed in dust if they were working on the fasade on the outside. .
    blacklilly wrote: »
    While the internal elements of the work were completed the house was not cleaned, 2 of the rooms got a very light sweep.

Not sure what work they were doing but if you make a mess you clean it up.

Or it could be a case of spending some of his rental income as it can legitimately be used as a write off against his tax liability.

Off the top of my head, roughly., if his rental income is 10k, and his liability is 50% then he pays revenue 5k. If he pays out 8k on receipted maintenence works, it can be written off as an expense. So 10k less receipted expense of 8k So he owes revenue 50% of only the 2k, which is 1k.

As for the cleaning, do it yourself. I am looking after a house where tenants moved in and started demanding things. I told them to feck of.

I want a shed, NO! don't worry, the council will give me one, no they won't, it's not a council house, it's private via HAP. Guess what, council told no as well!

Council wanted a three piece suite replaced. I went out and bought one, now tenant decides only want the couch, remove the armchairs - no space. Nope, it was bought especially as it was council spec. They must stay.

Remove dishwasher, we don't use it. Need a press there instead. Owner says nope.

Fridge freezer replaced as per previous tenants measurements. Dope measured to small so 12inch gap at top. New tenant says want new one, it's to small. NOPE, Im not asking owner to take out a perfectly good reasonably new unit as you want a new one.

I'm waiting for the next set of demands, but maybe this attitude is standard in Chechneya

They are just morons. Best one I have heard of was the call on Christmas Eve to come down and fix the broken TV. Their broken TV. And three of them couldn't grasp that the landlord was not responsible for their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

For future reference the wrong terms were negotiated at the start. "Clean up afterwards" is too vague. Something like "building works creates dust that can damage your carpets and flooring, will you hire a professional cleaner, who has better equipment, for four hours to clean the downstairs of your house please."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just to reiterate, the works have not improved the accommodation, they were not required and are merely cosmetic (and unrequired at that, this is simply an exercise by the LL to through money into their properties as they are being audited). The standard of living is unchanged entirely.
    Maybe say what was done, as it no-one pumps money into a house for the craic.
    The mess left behind from substantial building works requires serious effort to clean.
    Although I agree, the OP has mentioned that it was only "cosmetic" improvements, so I wonder how much dust was left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Really, who exactly are they? Anyone who disagrees with any tenant for any reason?

No, I didn't say that at all. Why would you assume I meant that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

conf101 wrote: »
    No, I didn't say that at all. Why would you assume I meant that?

Which of us are landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Not sure what work they were doing but if you make a mess you clean it up.

They are just morons. Best one I have heard of was the call on Christmas Eve to come down and fix the broken TV. Their broken TV. And three of them couldn't grasp that the landlord was not responsible for their property.

Genuine question do you believe my pal is being a moran here? Considering it is someone else's mess, the someone else agreed to clean it and didn't and the work carried out has not benefited my friend in any way.

Turns out the landlord called around to the house yesterday evening (unannounced again) and was quite irate to the point my friend felt intimidated (she was there by herself) and he's an imposing man. After a few minutes of tensioned conversation, the landlord conceded that he would arrange to have the communal areas of the house cleaned. The flooring is marble and was actually slippy under foot due to the amount of dust. She also showed him the bathroom that has been used exclusively by the builders for the past 8-9 days, he couldn't argue that it was a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Genuine question do you believe my pal is being a moran here? Considering it is someone else's mess, the someone else agreed to clean it and didn't and the work carried out has not benefited my friend in any way.

That was in response to another posters comments about their tenants. If you make a mess, your responsible for cleaning it up. We teach 5 year old's that,
    so you assume the builders and your landlord should be able to figure it out.

Which of us are landlords.

Do you want me to list all the users of this forum who are landlords?

Yeah, that's not happening!

There are plenty of landlords on here who offer their advice and opinions, just as there are tenants and homeowners. I don't have a list of their usernames. I don't need one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

In terms of the audit, it is a revenue audit!

How did you come to know of this audit? Did the landlord tell you him/herself??

conf101 wrote: »
    Do you want me to list all the users of this forum who are landlords?

Yeah, that's not happening!

There are plenty of landlords on here who offer their advice and opinions, just as there are tenants and homeowners. I don't have a list of their usernames. I don't need one either.

Yeah so you don't know, you are just happy to label people as bitter landlords. Pretty cheap tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Be careful how you approach the landlord, some don't have much patience and eventually get fed up of constant calls/texts.

Id say meet in the middle. Bathroom and some communal areas cleaned by him and ye do the rest. Best just get it done and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Turns out the landlord called around to the house yesterday evening (unannounced again) and was quite irate to the point my friend felt intimidated (she was there by herself) and he's an imposing man. After a few minutes of tensioned conversation, the landlord conceded that he would arrange to have the communal areas of the house cleaned. The flooring is marble and was actually slippy under foot due to the amount of dust. She also showed him the bathroom that has been used exclusively by the builders for the past 8-9 days, he couldn't argue that it was a mess.

So all is well that ends well? The landlord has agreed to cover the cost of cleaning?

Isn’t this story a prime example of the fundamental problem of the landlord - tenant relationship? One side feels aggrieved by paying for a service & that they are being “done”. The other side feels aggrieved that they receive money for a service but have to do something for it. I’m not saying it applies in 100% of cases but there is an underlying conflict in the relationship in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

The tenants here are good tenants, they don't want any arguments but are annoyed considering they've been inconvenienced for 8 days in their home and now they are expected to clean up after the landlord.

What do you mean in "their home". The house is rented and it is not "their home"

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

If the landlord spent over €10k improving the property for the benefit of the tennqnts and didn't increase the rent then i think they are an ungrateful shower if they are giving out about a bit of dust.

duffysfarm wrote: »
    The tenants here are good tenants, they don't want any arguments but are annoyed considering they've been inconvenienced for 8 days in their home and now they are expected to clean up after the landlord.

What do you mean in "their home". The house is rented and it is not "their home"

A rental property is considered the tenants home.

Yeah so you don't know, you are just happy to label people as bitter landlords. Pretty cheap tactic.

Yeah, you seem confused.

I've seen plenty of bitter landlords on here. I've seen plenty of bitter tenants too. I've seen plenty of helpful landlords too, who don't come across as bitter. Same for tenants.

In fact I see all kinds of people on all the forums I read. People with good ideas and bad ones. People with axes to grind. People with great advice. It's great.

I'm not in the habit of keeping lists of the different kinds of people I encounter though. I think that would be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I don’t believe any landlord would put money unnecessarily into a house.

Are you telling me there was no insulation added to the house when the facade was done?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Or it could be a case of spending some of his rental income as it can legitimately be used as a write off against his tax liability.

Off the top of my head, roughly., if his rental income is 10k, and his liability is 50% then he pays revenue 5k. If he pays out 8k on receipted maintenence works, it can be written off as an expense. So 10k less receipted expense of 8k So he owes revenue 50% of only the 2k, which is 1k.

As for the cleaning, do it yourself. I am looking after a house where tenants moved in and started demanding things. I told them to feck of.

I want a shed, NO! don't worry, the council will give me one, no they won't, it's not a council house, it's private via HAP. Guess what, council told no as well!

Council wanted a three piece suite replaced. I went out and bought one, now tenant decides only want the couch, remove the armchairs - no space. Nope, it was bought especially as it was council spec. They must stay.

Remove dishwasher, we don't use it. Need a press there instead. Owner says nope.

Fridge freezer replaced as per previous tenants measurements. Dope measured to small so 12inch gap at top. New tenant says want new one, it's to small. NOPE, Im not asking owner to take out a perfectly good reasonably new unit as you want a new one.

I'm waiting for the next set of demands, but maybe this attitude is standard in Chechneya
    Why would you spend hard cash to write off against tax over 8 years? The cash is worth more to you.

If he wanted to reduce his tax bill he could leave the property empty for a number of months and then carry forward the losses to reduce his tax bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I do not know the exact ins and out of that scenerio, that is why I marked it roughly, I had a similar situation personally , but it did not need to go into that exact detail.

And just for balance, there is another tenant that calls me as I am their contact for a landlord abroad. In the complete opposite of the first tenant, and their demands, this other tenant, in one year, has notified me of an extractor fan packing up, and then, and on a recent occasion, rang me very humbly, to say they were sorry, but the oven door came off in her hand and fell and smashed.

I didn't need to hear any more. I mentioned it to the owner (abroad), but went down straight away, inspected, and straight into Powercity for a replacement, no questions asked. They are nice people, who look after the place, get on with it and live their lives. If I get a call from them, I am straight on it, they are genuine and humble and friendly. The first tenant is a council nominated, welfare case, demanding and self-entitled, and I would not be inclined to prioritise their DEMANDS, and even then, if it is needed, they will get it, but I would not go any further for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

duffysfarm wrote: »

It absolutely is there home, that's what they're paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

hots wrote: »
    It absolutely is there home, that's what they're paying for.

Exactly...Its not their house. It is their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Exactly...Its not their house. It is their home.

It's the only minor issue I've had with a couple of different landlords (I'd say I've been very lucky and never had a proper issue with any) is the lack of acknowledgement that the tenant is the one actually living in the house. All visits should be with the tenant present unless permission is given otherwise and with a bit of notice, unfortunately I've had multiple landlords think it's ok to let themselves in without asking (even if they mean well it's still not ok).

Advertisement