Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to wait for reply following interview

Options
  • 09-05-2018 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I applied for a job with a Bank in the West of Ireland. Was told the process would take 2-3 weeks, however it is now 5 weeks tomorrow since I interviewed.

I emailed looking for an update and was told the process is taking longer than they anticipated, but no details regarding a timeline.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I email again, or try to call the recruiter over the process?

I've received another job offer and they want me to start Monday however I would much rather the job in the Bank, which I believe I should have a good chance of getting.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hi all,

I applied for a job with a Bank in the West of Ireland. Was told the process would take 2-3 weeks, however it is now 5 weeks tomorrow since I interviewed.

I emailed looking for an update and was told the process is taking longer than they anticipated, but no details regarding a timeline.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I email again, or try to call the recruiter over the process?

I've received another job offer and they want me to start Monday however I would much rather the job in the Bank, which I believe I should have a good chance of getting.

Thanks for any advice.

What would stop you taking the offer on the table then switching if the bank role comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Diceicle wrote: »
    What would stop you taking the offer on the table then switching if the bank role comes up?

Hi Dicelicle,

Yeah that's what i'm going to do more than likely, as i've already informed the other job I would be taking the role. I feel a bit bad however starting the job knowing i'm not hoping to stay for long, but if I got the Bank job it would be more in line with my future aspirations so I would give it up. It would be an awkward conversation but you've got to do what's right for you I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t feel bad, it’s your life and your entitled to make decisions that suit you best.

Hiring can be a pain sometimes and in places like the bank even more so. Crucial people go off on leave or out sick and the whole thing gets left in limbo until they are back. There are a myriad of reasons it could be delayed.
    If you just straight weren’t successful they wouldn’t string you along.

Thanks guys.

It's over a week since I made contact one of the recruiters, and was told at that point the process was taking longer than they had hoped and they would have an update for applicants soon.

Should I send another follow up email or just let things be? I want to come across as passionate for the job, but not overbearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Just keep in mind that HR and recruitment are human too. They may have 30 - 40 open vacancies in their desk, or if they are an internal generalist HR department, be trying to manage 5-10 vacancies along with the day to day running of a HR department.
    So absoloutly follow up if you wish, but always always keep it polite and don't take it personally that they are not getting back to you.
    Explain that you are really interested in the job and are looking forward to hearing from them one way or the other, there is no reason that would affect your chances.
    Don't take the lack of response as a sign that you're out of the running, take it from an overstretched HR person, it's more than likely that it's just down to resourcing! The only way you'll come across as pushy or overbearing is if you are rude in the email so just keep it polite and professional and you will be grand.

• Advertisement

It was BOI I applied for.

I got an email during the week to say my interview was very strong and they would contact me when a job became available.

So apparently it must have been a panel formation process, which was never once said.

It's extremely disappointing, I waited with hope for almost 2 months, but clearly it just wasn't meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Did they explicitly state in the email that you were not successful concerning the job that you actually applied for?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

I'd wait another couple of weeks before enquiring again, since you already have.

I know someone who was waiting 3 months and on enquiry got the job.

skallywag wrote: »
    Did they explicitly state in the email that you were not successful concerning the job that you actually applied for?

No they didn't, they said they'd be in touch if a relevant job came up. Is this a good thing I wonder?
    I'd wait another couple of weeks before enquiring again, since you already have.

I know someone who was waiting 3 months and on enquiry got the job.

Yeah I might leave it till the first week in June and enquire again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

No they didn't, they said they'd be in touch if a relevant job came up. Is this a good thing I wonder?

I find it extremely unprofessional on their part not to give you a direct feedback on the position that you applied for.

That said I would find it positive if you received feedback that the interview was strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

To the OP - Simply contact them again and briefly explain the situation. I.e. that you would be very interested in a position with them, but that you're currently sitting on another job offer and have to commit to a decision by whenever. If they are very interested and there is a job in it for you, then they will usually indicate this at that point...

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's common for recruiting processes to be delayed, so I wouldn't worry about that side.

If you have another offer on the table, tell the recruiter this, they want to hear it. The recruiter will push for an answer asap as the delay is likely not their fault.

I have done so! I will let ye know if I've any updates!

Advertisement