Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pay and display parking fine

Options
  • 09-05-2018 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

SO, I was in Dun Laoghaire. Paid at the machine with debit card, for 1 hour of parking . Only the machine didn't issue any ticket. The operation went through so I left a message for the warden that I paid but the machine was faulty, somehow. Obviously that wasn't enough. So I got my fine for that. In the meantime the operation from my account disappeared and the money went back into my account without apparently leaving trace. I contacted the bank and gave me the authorization code for that operation for 1,50€, and they said that if an operation is not accepted the money don't leave.
    The very next day I got the fine I applied for appeal, I didn't send my conversation with the bank and the authorization code to prove that I did pay but that wasn't enough as they rejected my appeal today. At this point I am not sure what to do. Should I pay (most people would and they seem to count on that) or do you think I have a case to proceed further. Please anyone who could help as the first 28 days are almost over (they tooke their time of course). They said that a ticket should have been displayed, and I understand that...but I paid and not ticket...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Even if you paid, even if you can prove you paid the ticket was not displayed, fine is for non-display not non-ticket.
    Pay the fine, learn and move on, life is too short

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

At the same time you can't display a ticket if one is not issued. From experience i found calling into the council office and insisting on speaking with the person in charge got the issued fixed and the fine waived

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

You technically never paid for the parking.
    What happened was there was an issue with the machine before the transaction completed but after it was authorized.
    When this happens you have a shadow transaction where the money can either return to you the next day or a few days later.
    You may get away with this is you kick and scream to the county council, however I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Simon Templar

Time wrote: »
    At the same time you can't display a ticket if one is not issued. From experience i found calling into the council office and insisting on speaking with the person in charge got the issued fixed and the fine waived
    That is precisely my point... what was I supposed to learn? It's not the first time that a machine is not working and in this case I did pay.

That is precisely my point... what was I supposed to learn? It's not the first time that a machine is not working and in this case I did pay.

If the transaction is not on your account now then now did not pay.

Perhaps a detailed letter from someone in your bank with the details of the authorization number, merchant id, pos id, date, time and value may help you out with this one here though. This should still be available even though it was a shadow transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Time wrote: »
    After the first time you should have downloaded the app. You are also lucky you weren’t in the harbour as it would have meant a Clamp.

tcawley29 wrote: »

Perhaps a detailed letter from someone in your bank with the details of the authorization number, merchant id, pos id, date, time and value may help you out with this one here though. This should still be available even though it was a shadow transaction.

I did send authorization code and actually the whole copy of the conversation with the bank employee...with details of time and POS and so on... I might just try to call in the council before bow and pay. Sorry for all the typos.
    Unfortunately the bank can't give me any more official paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I did send authorization code and actually the whole copy of the conversation with the bank employee...with details of time and POS and so on... I might just try to call in the council before bow and pay. Sorry for all the typos.

The requirement is to display a valid ticket. You did not display a valid ticket. If it was broke go to a different machine , pay there and then query the first machine later

ted1 wrote: »
    The requirement is to display a valid ticket. You did not display a valid ticket. If it was broke go to a different machine , pay there and then query the first machine later

So the right course of action to a machine that doesn't issue a ticket but 'apparently' take the money is to pay double or use an app. Is that the official procedure? By the way, I did find the warden and asked him and he said that he checked the machine and was working.
    Anyway. I think I found my answer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So the right course of action to a machine that doesn't issue a ticket but 'apparently' take the money is to pay double or use an app. Is that the official procedure? By the way, I did find the warden and asked him and he said that he checked the machine and was working.
    Anyway. I think I found my answer.

Thanks

The official procedure is you call the number on the machine and say that the transaction failed, you don't walk off and not put the "Pay and Display" ticket on your dash, even if it went through you still didn't have a ticket so you should have escalated.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The official procedure is you call the number on the machine and say that the transaction failed, you don't walk off and not put the "Pay and Display" ticket on your dash, even if it went through you still didn't have a ticket so you should have escalated.

I would have gladly called a number...(probably the same time it took me to write a message, which was a long shot, I know) there was no number to b called on the machine. I also tried to call the number that shows on the ticket, afterwards, but nobody picks up.
    Anyway, I will try to make my case in the office and see what they say.

I would have gladly called a number...(probably the same time it took me to write a message, which was a long shot, I know) there was no number to b called on the machine. I also tried to call the number that shows on the ticket, afterwards, but nobody picks up.
    Anyway, I will try to make my case in the office and see what they say.

The fact that you have it on headed paper from the bank should help. If they don't help out then I'd nearly chance my arm in court. Make sure you get a picture of the machine which displays date and time that there was no number to call on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

ted1 wrote: »

Not sure if you know but most county councils in Dublin also use parkingtag for street parking. I haven't had to display a paper ticket on my car since I started using it 3 years ago.

You can pay by text also, again no need for the paper ticket displayed on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

OP
    you state in the thread title "pay and display"

You did attempt to pay, yet failed to display.

If I were you, and if I could afford the time off in court, I would contest it.
    I've no doubt you'll get off. Providing you have evidence that you made a payment at the relevant time, yet the machine malfunctioned and didn't issue a receipt.

But.. it'll be a whole day you'll have to take off work.

Do the math, which is the better financial option.

The ball is in your court.

Advertisement