Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices/Cost of Living off the wall

Options
  • 09-05-2018 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Average rent prices in Dublin now stands at 2k a month. I would say the vast majority of people working in the city would be on less than 12 or 13 euro per hour, thats around 1600/1800 euro take home pay per month after tax. How on earth are people suppose to afford any sort of decent lifestyle and have a roof over there head as well? Current min wage in the city is €9.55. Absolutely madness when you take into consideration the cost of living.

What a ****hole of a country or a society we have become.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Gringo180 wrote: »
    How on earth are people suppose to afford any sort of decent lifestyle and have a roof over there head as well?

Share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

stimpson wrote: »
    Share.

Communist! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

How on earth are people suppose to afford any sort of decent lifestyle and have a roof over there head as well? Current min wage in the city is €9.55. Absolutely madness when you take into consideration the cost if living.

Your standards sound too high. You can get a place for 400 pm no bother - you just share.
    with 20 other people in a house

Not saying you're wrong but the average is a useful indicator of a city, but irrelevant when it comes to min wage workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I worked two jobs after my first child was born to pay rent and put food on the table it's not easy but that's just life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not saying you're wrong but the average is a useful indicator of a city, but irrelevant when it comes to min wage workers.

But it is an indicator of what they can afford. A young couple has feck all chance of renting together. And if they did they'd never get a mortgage together.

Past generations could get a deposit together whilst renting. There's feck all chance of that now. Plus the average dubliner spends something like 50-60% on rent. That's really going to reduce their disposable income

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I worked two jobs after my first child was born to pay rent and put food on the table it's not easy but that's just life

So when did u get to spend time with your family?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You don't have to spend your whole life working for minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You don't have to spend your whole life working for minimum wage.

Some people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We'll need 76,000 extra workers to cure the crisis apparently.
    They'll also need somewhere to live along with our projected population increase.

Hardly any improvement anytime soon.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-doesnt-enough-skilled-construction-11272471

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    They'll also need somewhere to live along with our projected population increase.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-doesnt-enough-skilled-construction-11272471

How many men of working age are on the dole? Maybe an increase in minimum wage and an improvement in workers rights would entice them back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How many men of working age are on the dole? Maybe an increase in minimum wage and an improvement in workers rights would entice them back to work.

Probably little or none with the required skills or they'd already be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The reality is that married couples with families cannot afford to live in Dublin unless they were lucky enough to own their own house 15 yrs ago, got a big inheritance towards a house, have good jobs ( management level at least) or are willing to share with others.

This is the way for most low paid or min wage jobs in Dublin. They are mostly done by people living at home with parents or who have obtained local authority housing on the basis of being unemployed or on very low hours or money.

Most are living near their work and do not have cars or high fuel bills to contend with as they could not afford them. No job nearby means going on the dole or changing sectors to get a nearby job. Cutting costs is their highest goal.

Anyone without an economic link to Dublin or a need to be living in Dublin would be far better off getting out of it and buying a much cheaper house in the rural parts of Ireland.

I see this happening in my neighbourhood, 40 yrs built and the adult owners are retiring but have adult children still living with them. Many do childminding and keep lodgers to keep costs down. Others have two incomes and others are builders who do up the houses themselves after buying them cheaper than new builds. Other lucky people have built a second house on the big gardens on the end of terrace houses. Most people buying now have to think in terms of more than one job each to afford the high costs.

In the last 10 to 15 yrs the zones around the high cost cities has grown enormously. Dublin can include Offaly, Westmeath and Laois in the commuting belt. Wicklow, Louth and Kildare were always in there as dear places to live.
    High cost areas around Galway now stretches to Ballinasloe, Gort and Tuam encompassing most of the county east of Spiddle and Oughterard and Moycullen as well.

The Government will have to look at providing housing for junior staff members in their payroll like years ago when Nurses had halls of residence, Guards were in Barracks and teachers were mostly nuns and brothers in convents and monasteries. A place to live will probably be have to be linked to your job or the won't get many takers of low paid jobs in high cost areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

That doesn't make it ok or right.

That doesn't make it ok or right.

Exactly. Working two jobs is having absolutely ZERO quality of life.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Just move out of Dublin. Plenty of small cities/ large towns with superior quality of life in Ireland.

Probably little or none with the required skills or they'd already be working.

But min wage jobs I am talking about. Raise it and you will entice people off the dole. Not making excuses but I can see why some choose to stay on the dole. Working min wage is about 360 per week after tax. Take into account lunches, transport costs you are lucky to be earning an extra 120 euro for 40 hours than sitting at home scratching the hole off yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

There’s plenty on minimum wage or not even working living in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Just move out of Dublin. Plenty of small cities/ large towns with superior quality of life in Ireland.

Good luck finding a job with that strategy.

I wonder, is there a country in the Western world with a worse housing shortage and crisis?

It does get highlighted in the media, but the truth is politicians absolutely do not treat it as an urgent problem. People aren't putting enough pressure on them, there's no real major protests over the issue.

It's absolute madness beyond anything conceivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The_Brood wrote: »

I wonder, is there a country in the Western world with a worse housing shortage and crisis?

It does get highlighted in the media, but the truth is politicians absolutely do not treat it as an urgent problem. People aren't putting enough pressure on them, there's no real major protests over the issue.

Yeah. I'm a tech worker. I'm skilled in incident and problem management. There's next to never jobs away from Dublin. The last one I saw was in Kerry. It would have involved hours driving to see family in Mayo or Friends who mainly live in Dublin. I'd be easier to see my family if I lived in the UK near an airport.

And that was the only job I've seen in the last two years outside Dublin. The same is true for a lot of skilled workers. Especially in anything related to tech, science and engineering. Sure there are some jobs but the majority are in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Most of Europe has a worst crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Most of Europe has a worst crisis.

Very true. Look up any European country Same pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Average rent prices in Dublin now stands at 2k a month. I would say the vast majority of people working in the city would be on less than 12 or 13 euro per hour, thats around 1600/1800 euro take home pay per month after tax. How on earth are people suppose to afford any sort of decent lifestyle and have a roof over there head as well? Current min wage in the city is €9.55. Absolutely madness when you take into consideration the cost of living.

That rent is for a multi unit dwelling so that’s either for a family or for 2-5 people to share.

Also someone earning minimum wage will get rent allowance or HAP. ITs the poor lads working in mid 30k that’ll struggle. The lower end are looked after by the state

Grayson wrote: »

Yeah. I'm a tech worker. I'm skilled in incident and problem management. There's next to never jobs away from Dublin. The last one I saw was in Kerry. It would have involved hours driving to see family in Mayo or Friends who mainly live in Dublin. I'd be easier to see my family if I lived in the UK near an airport.

And that was the only job I've seen in the last two years outside Dublin. The same is true for a lot of skilled workers. Especially in anything related to tech, science and engineering. Sure there are some jobs but the majority are in Dublin.
    In fairness that’s a random skill you need to reskill

Workers in Ireland have plenty of rights. They need to cut the incentives for not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You live further out and commute OP. Now it sucks because our infrastructure is pretty poor but thems the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Now we have things like Sugar Taxes and Minimum Priced Alcohol to deal with. You're basically just working to survive. What's the point anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Seattle and Vancouver are both pretty bad at this point. A serious lack of housing and rents are getting higher and higher, not to mention the cost of buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Now we have things like Sugar Taxes and Minimum Priced Alcohol to deal with. You're basically just working to survive. What's the point anymore?

Stop eatin' ****e, drinking and smoking and you'll be amazed how much money you have and how much better you feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

All hail the market, the market, hail!

Advertisement