Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices/Cost of Living off the wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gringo180 wrote: »
    But min wage jobs I am talking about. Raise it and you will entice people off the dole. Not making excuses but I can see why some choose to stay on the dole. Working min wage is about 360 per week after tax. Take into account lunches, transport costs you are lucky to be earning an extra 120 euro for 40 hours than sitting at home scratching the hole off yourself.

The dole is a bit of a red herring. The unemployment rate is only 5.9% at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Average rent prices in Dublin now stands at 2k a month. I would say the vast majority of people working in the city would be on less than 12 or 13 euro per hour, thats around 1600/1800 euro take home pay per month after tax. How on earth are people suppose to afford any sort of decent lifestyle and have a roof over there head as well? Current min wage in the city is €9.55. Absolutely madness when you take into consideration the cost of living.

What a ****hole of a country or a society we have become.

While I totally agree that property costs are way way too high, the "vast majority" are not on 12 or 13 per hour.

Mean FT earnings incl overtime are 45k approx, or 865 pw

Mean earnings are 20-22 ph.

Median earnings are about 40,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    All hail the market, the market, hail!

Yes I don't understand why people keep moaning about people spending there money on ever increasing rents, when they have told constantly the market will sort it out.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I think this would be better suited to the accommodation forum so I'll lock this before transferring. Please note the change of forum and different forum rules.

Buford T. Justice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: Welcome to Accommodation & Property

Thread re-opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

We're going to have to be all sensible now :(

At the moment rents are going through a transition stage. Many accidental LL's are selling up. Whether the 'professionisation' of the sector will ever lead to a dip in rents is questionable at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We're going to have to be all sensible now :(

At the moment rents are going through a transition stage. Many accidental LL's are selling up. Whether the 'professionisation' of the sector will ever lead to a dip in rents is questionable at best.

Well, as there is a different tax structure depending on who you are, rather than what you do... it is possible, but unlikely. Last year I had a place up for rent, tenants were offering me cash under the table to up their chances of getting it. Supply is very low. Tenancy law has strengthened to the point where landlords are now so weak, they cannot evict a non paying tenant for a heck of a long time. The risk in becoming a landlord is high, and for some property investors, it makes more sense to leave them empty and growing in value with the market, than renting them out.

As for the cost of living... I don’t think it’s much different to when we bought our first home. House shared with a bunch of other working people in a 4 bedroom place for a few years to save a deposit. House prices were shockingly high. Closed envelope bids etc. Moved into a house, rented out a room to lodgers and overpaid that mortgage with that bit of income. Backpacked or Ryanair and a hostel were holidays. At the moment we still live economically enough, and put what we can into the pension/mortgage. Life happens, we have been hit with setbacks and things, but we are doing ok.

Most of my friends and family would be similar, but some of my peers are still living with their parents, or renting and complaining about rent. Same background, circumstances and education as me. Just a different attitude really?

Some people buy luxuries last, after the basics and providing for the future are sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

kneemos wrote: »
    We'll need 76,000 extra workers to cure the crisis apparently.
    They'll also need somewhere to live along with our projected population increase.

Hardly any improvement anytime soon.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-doesnt-enough-skilled-construction-11272471

How many men of working age are on the dole? Maybe an increase in minimum wage and an improvement in workers rights would entice them back to work.

Maybe a reduction in laying about scratching your nuts rights might entice them to work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Cork is pretty bad too. Not as expensive as Dublin but it's getting there. I work in a multinational and there are people moving from abroad as they've got a job here but then find themselves moving back home shortly after as they can't find anywhere to live.

I'm extremely lucky. Myself and my OH live in a 2 bed house in Cork city for 900pm. Been here now about 5 years and never had the rent raised. I thought it was a crazy price when we first moved in but we took a good "risk"! We would be in a position to buy a house but we are happy where we are for now. We can save plenty of money and still go on holidays etc as we are on good enough wages... but we are lucky. Would hate to be looking for somewhere to rent now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Geuze wrote: »
    Average rent prices in Dublin now stands at 2k a month. I would say the vast majority of people working in the city would be on less than 12 or 13 euro per hour, thats around 1600/1800 euro take home pay per month after tax. How on earth are people suppose to afford any sort of decent lifestyle and have a roof over there head as well? Current min wage in the city is €9.55. Absolutely madness when you take into consideration the cost of living.

What a ****hole of a country or a society we have become.

While I totally agree that property costs are way way too high, the "vast majority" are not on 12 or 13 per hour.

Mean FT earnings incl overtime are 45k approx, or 865 pw

Mean earnings are 20-22 ph.

Median earnings are about 40,000.

Median earnings are not 40000, not a hope.
    I'd say it's about 25000 at a push.

This is from my own observations as a financial advisor carrying out reviews for mortgages, pensions, investments etc....

I came across a small cohort of people in IT and finance earning in excess of 80k but the vast majority of people I dealt with were in the 40-50k bracket. These were your tradesmen and university educated people working in science, public sector etc....good jobs.

I didn't deal with the HUGE numbers of people earning sub 30k as I just knew they hadn't 2 pennies to rub together and just had to work paycheck to paycheck.

Every shop assistant, food sector worker, hospitality, tourism, basic clerical, receptionist, call centre etc....are earning in the 20s.

And there are far more of them than the 80k IT and finance workers out there.

I own a house in Dublin and I'm thankful for it. But a huge majority, if they stay in same jobs, will never afford one.

My brother bought a house in Dublin last year with his girlfriend both aged 27.
    315k I think it was. But they have good jobs and excellent prospects.

I don't think it's the government's fault or anyone's fault that a relatively unskilled worker can't buy in a vibrant European capital full of skilled workers.

This isn't Dublin 1970s anymore folks, I don't care that your parents/uncles/grandparents bought a house on a modest income.

Dublin, and Ireland, has changed. You need to change with it. It's a knowledge economy and we are in a free movement of labour area within EU.

Upskill, educate or get left behind. That's not a dig at anyone, but it's my advice. If a young person is reading this, get into IT, Pharma or Finance sectors as that's where the money is. There are other areas too of course. And save regularly and save early. You won't be buying a house in Dublin without doing both of the above, unless you get lucky.

A great advisor I follow online put up an article yesterday saying Irish people are extremely financially illiterate and financial planning is non existent and I have to agree with him.

I had clients that I had to force a financial plan on to get in a position to buy a house.
    Checked in on them every couple of months and they hadn't stuck to it in most cases.
    I see guys my age mid 30s great jobs never saved a penny, never started a pension, never bought a house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

+1 on financial illiteracy. The amount of people with decent jobs but no pension, staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

pwurple wrote: »
    +1 on financial illiteracy. The amount of people with decent jobs but no pension, staggering.

You can't blame a certain amount of skepticism on pensions...pensions levys, age of retirements rising to be point where you'll probably not be alive etc.

And frankly there are probably a lot of people who would have rather have purchased a couple houses. Personally I work in a relatively lucrative industry (atm!) and pensions come with it so I don't really worry, but I certainly wouldn't be putting much into them myself. (And yes we look at pensions..)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Completely agree with the above. I signed up to my pension a few years ago when I was 25 and had many people at work saying "sure you're far too young for that", "I'm 40 and still think I'm too young to sign up" etc..

Most people I work directly with would be on between 40k and 60k and many of them live paycheck to paycheck. These would be single people without any major commitments but they just like to have the newest gadgets, brand new cars on PCP, new clothes etc..

At the same time it is very expensive to rent. However, many people I know could be a lot better with money of they cut out many of their luxuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

The dole is a bit of a red herring. The unemployment rate is only 5.9% at the moment.

"Disability Allowance" figures are used to hide the true amount of unemployment which is far higher as almost one in six Irish households is jobless (Feb2018)

purifol0 wrote: »
    "Disability Allowance" figures are used to hide the true amount of unemployment which is far higher as almost one in six Irish households is jobless (Feb2018)

BTEA Also.

There should be a major crack down on disability allowance, there's a lad at work who is confined to an electric wheel chair and makes it in everyday.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The_Brood wrote: »
    Good luck finding a job with that strategy.

I wonder, is there a country in the Western world with a worse housing shortage and crisis?

It does get highlighted in the media, but the truth is politicians absolutely do not treat it as an urgent problem. People aren't putting enough pressure on them, there's no real major protests over the issue.

It's absolute madness beyond anything conceivable.
    People are making far too much out of the whole, there’s no jobs down the country lark. They are there if you’re willing to take them. You just need to be willing to be somewhat flexible with regard to pay (clearly going to be less) and be open to other fields of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

purifol0 wrote: »

Highest disability claimees in Europe.

It’s bonkers for a country our size.

1 in 2 on some sort of welfare, yet we’re told the government don’t care about its citizens.

Grayson wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm a tech worker. I'm skilled in incident and problem management. There's next to never jobs away from Dublin. The last one I saw was in Kerry. It would have involved hours driving to see family in Mayo or Friends who mainly live in Dublin. I'd be easier to see my family if I lived in the UK near an airport.

And that was the only job I've seen in the last two years outside Dublin. The same is true for a lot of skilled workers. Especially in anything related to tech, science and engineering. Sure there are some jobs but the majority are in Dublin.
    You clearly haven’t been looking.

My brother works in tech and he hasn’t had any issues with getting jobs around the country. IT jobs in Dundalk (2), and Galway were offered to him within the past year. Similar pay (and better) to what he got working in Dublin too.

If you’re not willing to be flexible in some way shape or form with regards to “what you’re skilled in” then you’re leaving yourself with very few jobs to choose from, anywhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Medtronic and Boston Scientific are based in Galway, so an option for someone with a biomedical engineering/science background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Most of Europe has a worst crisis.

No it doesn’t.

• Advertisement

cournioni wrote: »
    You clearly haven’t been looking.

My brother works in tech and he hasn’t had any issues with getting jobs around the country. IT jobs in Dundalk (2), and Galway were offered to him within the past year. Similar pay (and better) to what he got working in Dublin too.

If you’re not willing to be flexible in some way shape or form with regards to “what you’re skilled in” then you’re leaving yourself with very few jobs to choose from, anywhere.

I’m not sure how we moved into skilled workers.

One thing is sure lower paid workers with transferable skulls are better off down the country if they are paying rent in Dublin. Many aren’t though as they stay wit their parents.

I wonder if maybe that is why the situation has not caused as much of a radicalisation as you might think. Lots of renters in Dublin are immigrants or Irish internal migrants. Many don’t vote as well as they young don’t vote.

I’m not sure how we moved into skilled workers.

One thing is sure lower paid workers with transferable skulls are better off down the country if they are paying rent in Dublin. Many aren’t though as they stay wit their parents.

I wonder if maybe that is why the situation has not caused as much of a radicalisation as you might think. Lots of renters in Dublin are immigrants or Irish internal migrants. Many don’t vote as well as they young don’t vote.
    There are jobs for skilled and non skilled workers down the country. That is the point a poster made earlier about people living in Dublin and feeling the squeeze of affording a place to live in with their current employment, but also made reference to the fact that the quality of accommodation is better for what you are paying in the countryside.

Obviously, the more skilled you are, the likelier you are to have better pay and easier to afford a place (or a nicer place). But if you want true value for what you pay (compared to what you earn), you are better off in the country side, no question.

cournioni wrote: »
    There are jobs for skilled and non skilled workers down the country. That is the point a poster made earlier about people living in Dublin and feeling the squeeze of affording a place to live in with their current employment, but also made reference to the fact that the quality of accommodation is better for what you are paying in the countryside.

Obviously, the more skilled you are, the likelier you are to have better pay and easier to afford a place (or a nicer place). But if you want true value for what you pay (compared to what you earn), you are better off in the country side, no question.

No. You are better off down the country if you were paying rent in Dublin. You didn’t read my point. I think lots of younger low paid workers from Dublin, living and working in Dublin, are not paying rent but living at home with their parents. To these people the affordability to buy is more important than rent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Average rent prices in Dublin now stands at 2k a month
    Average hyperbole in these threads now stands at 600% per poster

No. You are better off down the country if you were paying rent in Dublin. You didn’t read my point. I think lots of younger low paid workers from Dublin, living and working in Dublin, are not paying rent but living at home with their parents. To these people the affordability to buy is more important than rent prices.
    You are better off down the country if you are buying or renting. Better quality of accommodation for what you pay.

If you’re living and working in Dublin and living with your parents but cannot afford to buy, then you either need to upskill to try and get a better job to afford one (if you want to live in Dublin), or move to the countryside where it makes sense to work and afford somewhere where you aren’t paying through the nose for living space that really is not worth it.

MOH wrote: »

So you think his claim that average rent is 2K is 600% exaggerated?

MOH wrote: »

In fairness:

https://www.daft.ie/report/2018-Q1-rentalprice-daftreport.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

So you think his claim that average rent is 2K is 600% exaggerated?
    No, I *know* his claim that the average person is paying 2K rent is exaggerated.

(Hint: You're making the same mistake as him)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I'm getting the impression from this thread that a lot of people who live in the pale look down on the rest of the country.

I'd consider Dublin a depressing claustrophobic ****ehole myself. One of the worst examples of urban sprawl and bad planning. I can't tolerate more than a few hours there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I'm getting the impression from this thread that a lot of people who live in the pale look down on the rest of the country.

are we reading different threads?

Advertisement