Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices/Cost of Living off the wall

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Macha wrote: »
    Oh yes. Ireland's income tax rates are among the lowest in Europe and Belgium's are among the highest. They have 4 or more tax bands, starting at anything up to €10k being taxed at 25%, increasing so that anything above about €40k is taxed at 50%.

One year I figured out that I would pay €5000/year less income tax on my salary if I lived in Ireland.

BUT because the cost of living is so much lower here, we have MORE disposable income than in Ireland. Between rent and crèche alone, I reckon we save at least €15,000/year compared to Ireland.

And I don't know how you valorize having a 10 minute commute by bike compared to an hour stuck in a car but the extra time can spend with my son every day is priceless to me.

Your joking right remember income tax that your talking about does not include PRSI or USC and when you earn 36k here you pay over half of what you make back in tax we are over taxed in this country at the higher end medium levels. You cannoit keep putting the burden on one section of society so on top of the expenses Ireland is in fact a very high taxation country when both direct (USC, Income and PRSI) and indirect (property, road, carbon, VAT, DIRT) is taken into account and then add in the high expenses that you claim it makes Ireland a very hard place to try and get by

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

fliball123 wrote: »
    Your joking right remember income tax that your talking about does not include PRSI or USC and when you earn 36k here you pay over half of what you make back in tax we are over taxed in this country at the higher end medium levels. You cannoit keep putting the burden on one section of society so on top of the expenses Ireland is in fact a very high taxation country when both direct (USC, Income and PRSI) and indirect (property, road, carbon, VAT, DIRT) is taken into account and then add in the high expenses that you claim it makes Ireland a very hard place to try and get by

When you earn over €36k you don't pay anywhere near 50% in income tax, because this is just the nominal tax band and the actual tax paid is reduced by the tax credit system.

Ireland has one of the lowest tax rates relative to GDP in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

when you earn 36k here you pay over half of what you make back in tax. y

This is incorrect.

For single people, without children, any income over 36k approx is taxed at 50% approx, yes that's true.

But if you earn 36k, you will not pay anything like 50% in direct taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Creol1 wrote: »

This sentence makes no sense. If you mean income tax collection relative to GDP, that's because low earners pay pretty much 0 in tax. Which is unheard of everywhere else in the EU. That's why our marginal tax rates are so high at such a low income level yet have a tax take that's below average.

The small tax base is why we got hit particularly badly during the recession.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    This sentence makes no sense. If you mean income tax collection relative to GDP, that's because low earners pay pretty much 0 in tax. Which is unheard of everywhere else in the EU. That's why our marginal tax rates are so high at such a low income level yet have a tax take that's below average.

The small tax base is why we got hit particularly badly during the recession.

When you include indirect taxes, the lowest earners actually pay more of their income in tax than almost any other income group, and of course indirect tax revenue is included in the overall tax take.

• Advertisement

When you include indirect taxes, the lowest earners actually pay more of their income in tax than almost any other income group, and of course indirect tax revenue is included in the overall tax take.

Source? Most necessities have a 0% VAT rate.

It's also completely irrelevant to the original point and also a completely pointless point when comparing to other EU countries since every EU State has VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

When you earn over €36k you don't pay anywhere near 50% in income tax, because this is just the nominal tax band and the actual tax paid is reduced by the tax credit system.

Sorry maybe you misunderstood but any money earned over the 36k you pay 51 cent out of every euro earned back on tax that is a fact.

A little thing that people miss here is the p1ss poor return we get for the tax we pay. We pay way too much tax for the delivery of service that we get back. Case in Point to name 2 off the top of my head HSE, Gardai. Think of this we paid over 51billion in tax (both direct and indirect) last year for an Island that has approximately 4.8 million when you break that down per person we pay a phuck load tax (or 10625 per person a year and does not take into account those who dont work both unemployed and those too old and young too work which would skew this figure upwards) and yet even with 51 billion being creamed off people we still had to borrow to pay the bills for the country and to prop up broken and out dated regimes like the HSE. Instead of people looking for more off an already stretched worker the fat (spending) needs to be cut and cut quick.

It's also completely irrelevant to the original point and also a completely pointless point when comparing to other EU countries since every EU State has VAT.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/poorer-people-in-ireland-pay-out-more-of-their-income-in-tax-1.1910725

M Collins has done work on this:

https://www.nerinstitute.net/research/estimating-the-direct-and-indirect-tax-contributions-of-households-in-ireland/

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Micheal+Collins+indirect+taxes&oq=Micheal+Collins+indirect+taxes&aqs=chrome..69i57.7062j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Sorry maybe you misunderstood but any money earned over the 36k you pay 51 cent out of every euro earned back on tax that is a fact.

Yes, and it's crazy.

40 tax, 4% PRSI, USC = 4.75%.

So an MTR of 48.75% after 34,550 for single people.

Last year the SRCOP was 33,800..............

• Advertisement

S Think of this we paid over 51billion in tax (both direct and indirect) last year for an Island that has approximately 4.8 million when you break that down per person we pay a phuck load tax (or 10625 per person a year and does not take into account those who dont work both unemployed and those too old and young too work which would skew this figure upwards) and yet even with 51 billion being creamed off people we still had to borrow to pay the bills for the country and to prop up broken and out dated regimes like the HSE. Instead of people looking for more off an already stretched worker the fat (spending) needs to be cut and cut quick.

2017 taxes and PRSI = 68,317m

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/gfsa/governmentfinancestatisticsapril2018/

Approx 14,000 per person, but of course lots of that is paid not by people, but by foreign-owned companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

€9k pm for a 4bed in Ranelagh
    note the strategically placed, subliminal desired tenants, Moet bottle
    https://www.daft.ie/21848023

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

zell12 wrote: »

:pac:

Jumping the shark territory. You'd want to be taking home 100k a year to be renting one of the rooms there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :pac:

Jumping the shark territory. You'd want to be taking home 100k a year to be renting one of the rooms there.

The bedrooms are not big enough for most people on that money and that kitchen would not fit four adults using it daily.

Ridiculous pricing, double what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It was posted in the funny houses to rent thread not long ago when it was €10k a month. It's only €9k a month now. That's a 10% discount, that's a fecking bargain. You should be posting it in bargain alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

This post has been deleted.

Doing Ok and then you mention a non-existing road tax. I live in Dublin and we have 1 car between us and it spends 90% of the time in the garage. We could easily live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It was posted in the funny houses to rent thread not long ago when it was €10k a month. It's only €9k a month now. That's a 10% discount, that's a fecking bargain. You should be posting it in bargain alerts.

That house is hilarious. what planet are they on.do u think all the moet comes with it

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Doing Ok and then you mention a non-existing road tax. I live in Dublin and we have 1 car between us and it spends 90% of the time in the garage. We could easily live without it.

Not to mention that there is only VAT on the purchasing of brand new properties. As we are talking about low income earners i would imagine 99% of them are either buying 2nd hand properties or more likely renting, in which case that is once again 0% VAT on what is typically a persons highest outgoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The_Brood wrote: »
    Good luck finding a job with that strategy.

I wonder, is there a country in the Western world with a worse housing shortage and crisis?

It does get highlighted in the media, but the truth is politicians absolutely do not treat it as an urgent problem. People aren't putting enough pressure on them, there's no real major protests over the issue.

It's absolute madness beyond anything conceivable.

Just about every country in Europe is in the same situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just about every country in Europe is in the same situation.

Not just Europe, but pretty much any high-income city. He should go to San Francisco, New York, Paris, Tokyo, Beijing etc. if he wants to see a real crisis.

High wages bring more people and more spending power which will always lead to increased rent, prices, and shortages. It's the way things are. More could be done in Dublin to combat this but it's hardly a unique situation to Ireland like he's claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

The relatively high availability and affordability of housing is actually one of the reasons I’m moving back home to Ireland from the UK. I bought a house in a Dublin commuter town for around 300k, something of the same standard with a similar commute time to central London could easily be seven figures. Just driving around county Dublin, Meath, Kildare, you never go more than a few minutes without seeing signa for new build estates. I have literally never seen a newly built estate in well over a decade in the UK.

Yeah, it’s still a lot of money, but it can be a lot worse in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Recently moved out of Dublin, and unless I get some high paying dream job again, I hope to never have to move there again. Jokeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Grayson wrote: »
    But it is an indicator of what they can afford. A young couple has feck all chance of renting together. And if they did they'd never get a mortgage together.

Past generations could get a deposit together whilst renting. There's feck all chance of that now. Plus the average dubliner spends something like 50-60% on rent. That's really going to reduce their disposable income

well that's patently not true

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Obviously hoping that a company takes it on for hosting corporate guests but at that kind of money they'd want to be serving up Krug Vintage rather than that Moet swill.

Advertisement