Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License Application: typical wait time?

Options
  • 09-05-2018 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I applied for my first license, a .22 rifle, close to a month ago. Is it normal to hear nothing back at all? The super told me they'd be back to me in a week. I don't want to call and hassle them. At what stage do I go and pay for the license?

Also, thinking back on it, I can't remember if I remembered to tick the box to say that I'm getting a scope for the rifle, is that a big issue?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I applied for my first license, a .22 rifle, close to a month ago. Is it normal to hear nothing back at all? The super told me they'd be back to me in a week. I don't want to call and hassle them. At what stage do I go and pay for the license?

Also, thinking back on it, I can't remember if I remembered to tick the box to say that I'm getting a scope for the rifle, is that a big issue?

Thanks.

The Gardaí have up to three months to make a decision so you are hardly a third of the way there yet. I wouldn't panic. Give it a while longer. By the way, did you get to talk to the Super or did you just talk to a Guard in the station?

You only pay for the licence when the Gardaí send you out a grant letter (if they are giving you a licence). You bring the letter down to the post office and pay €80 quid and you usually have the licence posted out to you in about a week or so.

Unless you are putting a thermal scope or night vision scope onto the gun, then you don't have to tick that you are putting a normal telescopic scope on the gun. The FAC1 form is very misleading. You need permission for thermal or night vision but you don't for ordinary scopes. I made the same mistake several years ago and I was questioned why I wanted to put thermal or night vision on the rifle. It was easily clarified when I said I was only putting an ordinary scope on the rifle.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Give it another couple of weeks and give them a call to "check they've received your application".

It can take up to 3 months ... officially. In some cases longer. It depends on your location (some districts are quick, others not so much), and when the Super gets around to processing the pile of applications on their desk.

No need to check the box for a scope. The intention of this checkbox is for night vision. A standard license entitles you to mount a scope to your rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

3 weeks for the latest licence (today), one took 7 months and many phone calls, when I made appointment to see the super that got things moving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

My last one took 3 weeks, am currently almost 3 months waiting for my latest one, though I got a phone call 3 weeks ago telling me it was cleared and on its way. Depends on the workload and dedication of the FO it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

No worries then, 7 months is taking the piss...Come to think of it I sort of just assumed he was the super, he asked questions and looked over the paperwork.

I guess I'll just sit tight then so, the whole thing can be confusing.

thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

No worries then, 7 months is taking the piss...Come to think of it I sort of just assumed he was the super, he asked questions and looked over the paperwork.

I guess I'll just sit tight then so, the whole thing can be confusing.

thanks lads.

4 changes of super in that time, so it was put on the long finger

Advertisement