Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2018

Options
  • 09-05-2018 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Many people doing it this year ? I’ve signed up for it myself. Started road biking last year , had an atrociously bad winter for training but have managed an increasing distance and elevation spins at weekends since March culminating in the smooth roads and long but gentle climbs of Mallorca 167. Did shay Elliot last weekend and sally gap , cruagh etc , but still have to do Slieve Maan and Wicklow gap.
    Have no clue how to train for this stuff but I’ll carry on regardless .
    A few tales of other people’s success wouldn’t go astray :-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

It sounds like you are pretty much ready for the W200. I wouldn't get too worried about trying out every single one of the big climbs before next month. The main thing about the W200 is the distance. You need to conserve energy for the back end of the course. The first time I did it I thought I was home and hosed after climbing the SE, boy was I in for a shock. The last 40k is still hilly and the roads are rough so it takes quite a bit out of you. The change in the course last year means there are a few hills right at the back end of the course - Windgates coming out of Greystones and Monastery Road coming out of Enniskerry. On their own these hills are no big deal but with 190k in the legs it's another matter. I

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Budawanny wrote: »
    ... Did shay Elliot last weekend and sally gap , cruagh etc , but still have to do Slieve Maan and Wicklow gap....
    If you can do Sally Gap, Shay Elliott and Cruagh, you'll have no problem on Slieve Mann or the Wicklow Gap.

(Wicklow Gap westwards as in the WW200, can be a bit more difficult as it's usually into a headwind but doing it with many others makes it easier).
    lissard wrote: »
    ... I thought I was home and hosed after climbing the SE, boy was I in for a shock. The last 40k is still hilly and the roads are rough so it takes quite a bit out of you....
    So many people are caught out every year when they get to the second food stop in Rathdrum, Psychologically they think they are nearly home and dry but there's a fair bit to go afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Yeah, you sound well able.

Going to struggle this year after a pulmonary embolism 2 months ago with a lovely chest infection that followed it.

Trying to get fit and it's starting to come back.

Main thing is to think 65% effort as you go around, first climb is very early and a rough road to round wood, Wicklow gap is steady with a steep bit near the mine works, sleive maan is the hill after you think it is and Shay Elliot starts mean and gets easier.

Short steep kicker which replaces the drag out of avoca has a lovely flat bit after for recovery, bray head climb is a killer so late and enniscorthy is messy.

Enjoy it, good atmosphere, loads of groups to drift in and out of, and it is a proper challenge.

saccades wrote: »
    ... and enniscorthy is messy.....
    Jesus, you went out of you way! :D

(Enniskerry! :D)

As for training...

25km ew commute 3x a week with weekend Mtb was no where near as effective as..

1x 125km commute, 80km weekend club spin, 1x short course Mtb race and spin classes.

Longer rides worked well to keep grinding, short stuff good for the climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I can't believe it took till the 9th of May for a Wicklow 200 thread :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

So many people are caught out every year when they get to the second food stop in Rathdrum, Psychologically they think they are nearly home and dry but there's a fair bit to go afterwards.
    This would be my advice from the year I did it (on the previous course). I knew the roads, so was well aware it wasn't over, but lots around at the food stop weren't aware. And probably harder, later now.

That, and knowing that Slievemaan isn't the hill before it.

Slievemaan is similar enough to the Shay (a little harder and longer but similar). Wicklow Gap has one steep bit around the mines and then it's more a drag - once you get to the mines it's not too bad wind depending.

Was tempted to do it this year, but went MB200 instead. Won't have the time or passes for both (or probably the legs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

lissard wrote: »
    It sounds like you are pretty much ready for the W200. I wouldn't get too worried about trying out every single one of the big climbs before next month. The main thing about the W200 is the distance. You need to conserve energy for the back end of the course. The first time I did it I thought I was home and hosed after climbing the SE, boy was I in for a shock. The last 40k is still hilly and the roads are rough so it takes quite a bit out of you. The change in the course last year means there are a few hills right at the back end of the course - Windgates coming out of Greystones and Monastery Road coming out of Enniskerry. On their own these hills are no big deal but with 190k in the legs it's another matter. I

Thanks for that. good info.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    This would be my advice from the year I did it (on the previous course). I knew the roads, so was well aware it wasn't over, but lots around at the food stop weren't aware. And probably harder, later now.

That, and knowing that Slievemaan isn't the hill before it.

Slievemaan is similar enough to the Shay (a little harder and longer but similar). Wicklow Gap has one steep bit around the mines and then it's more a drag - once you get to the mines it's not too bad wind depending.

Was tempted to do it this year, but went MB200 instead. Won't have the time or passes for both (or probably the legs!)

thanks for that.

If you can do Sally Gap, Shay Elliott and Cruagh, you'll have no problem on Slieve Mann or the Wicklow Gap.

(Wicklow Gap westwards as in the WW200, can be a bit more difficult as it's usually into a headwind but doing it with many others makes it easier).

Alright thats excellent info. cheers.
    Yeah, you sound well able.

Going to struggle this year after a pulmonary embolism 2 months ago with a lovely chest infection that followed it.

Trying to get fit and it's starting to come back.

Main thing is to think 65% effort as you go around, first climb is very early and a rough road to round wood, Wicklow gap is steady with a steep bit near the mine works, sleive maan is the hill after you think it is and Shay Elliot starts mean and gets easier.

Short steep kicker which replaces the drag out of avoca has a lovely flat bit after for recovery, bray head climb is a killer so late and enniscorthy is messy.

Enjoy it, good atmosphere, loads of groups to drift in and out of, and it is a proper challenge.

Thanks for that. Ill take it onboard. Good luck with the recovery and training.

• Advertisement

As for training...

25km ew commute 3x a week with weekend Mtb was no where near as effective as..

1x 125km commute, 80km weekend club spin, 1x short course Mtb race and spin classes.

Longer rides worked well to keep grinding, short stuff good for the climbs.

I think ive been training arseways to be honest. I commute a total of 75km a week. and then one massive spin at the weekend. and an odd spin on the mtb from IFSC To threerock during the week . Chaotic , unorganised . but maybe ti will do.

If your the lad I think you are from my brief MAD days you are some man on the MTB too!

I commute a total of 75km a week. and then one massive spin at the weekend. and an odd spin on the mtb from IFSC To threerock during the week . Chaotic , unorganised . but maybe ti will do.
    Sounds ok to me - consistent and getting the long spin in. I wouldn't worry really. Year I did it I got around ok on one turbo and one 90-100km weekend spin a week!

Only other advice I would give would be to try and get in a groups for the flatter sections especially Hollywood down to Baltinglass (normally a headwind), but also Baltinglass to Hacketstown and Deputy's/ Gleneely to Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only other advice I would give would be to try and get in a groups for the flatter sections especially Hollywood down to Baltinglass (normally a headwind),

Yep, essential. That stretch can kill you dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Only other advice I would give would be to try and get in a groups for the flatter sections especially Hollywood down to Baltinglass (normally a headwind), but also Baltinglass to Hacketstown and Deputy's/ Gleneely to Greystones.

Only if the group is not going a break neck speed.
    Some of those groups are full of extremely fit blokes and they can easily manage 40+kph down that stretch.
    If the speed seems to high, don't be afraid to slow down and wait for the next group which could be going at a slower pace.

Only if the group is not going a break neck speed.
    Some of those groups are full of extremely fit blokes and they can easily manage 40+kph down that stretch.
    If the speed seems to high, don't be afraid to slow down and wait for the next group which could be going at a slower pace.
    Yes - sometimes better to stay with a group which you have caught up with rather than jumping onto a group which is passing.

Does anyone know what the feeding stations are like at this?

red_ken wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the feeding stations are like at this?
    Baltinglass and Rathdrum. Usually limited to one sandwich with long queues. Many people prefer to use local shops/filling stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Baltinglass and Rathdrum. Usually limited to one sandwich with long queues. Many people prefer to use local shops/filling stations.

Petrol or diesel? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Also thinking of giving this a bash. Did the randonnee last week but had nothing left at the end and another 10 km would have broken me. Although i did manage a decent time of under 6 hours.

Looking at the climbing and it looks like theres only 200 meters extra for the extra 55 km. How would the climbs compare?

I think ive been training arseways to be honest. I commute a total of 75km a week. and then one massive spin at the weekend. and an odd spin on the mtb from IFSC To threerock during the week . Chaotic , unorganised . but maybe ti will do.

If your the lad I think you are from my brief MAD days you are some man on the MTB too!

Same username so probably... I'm just stupid rather than impressive ;)

Your training sounds similar to mine the first two times I did it, I'd suggest some kilmashogue lane climbs to get used to prolonged climbing, learn to think beyond the hill if that makes sense. Too easy on a low geared Mtb to winch yourself up so give it a couple tries at a time.

As for this bit:

sleive maan is the hill after you think it is

It's to highlight that there is a little (ish) hill before sleive maan that a lot of people think is the climb. It's not. You'll know in 30 seconds once you go around that bend and see the long constant drag in front of you when you really reach sleive maan.

Last year had a brevet card that worked well with a bike computer, laminate it and attach to the top tube if you are unfamiliar with the route.

My only other advice is to join a group on the day and work with it, the long drag to blessington regularly has the wind against you and is a killer on your own. If you are not familiar with roadie group riding take it handy at the back to learn, explain to anyone looking like they are made out of teak and never half wheel.

Enjoy, it's a proper hard cycle and something to be proud of when you complete it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Had this on my to do list for the year and signed up last week, 1st time to attempt, did a couple of 200k spins earlier in the year Jan/March but this will be the toughest distance vs elevation for me to date, took April fairly handy so planning to build up my Sunday spins in the lead up, some good advice in previous posts thanks, looking forward to it :)

How would the climbs compare?
    Climbs comparable, but not as constant up and down as the Randonee. A couple of killers near the end though! There was very little recovery in the Randonee, probably only from the second Sally Gap to Enniskerry really imo (as a head wind most of the way from Sally Gap to Glenmacnass). If you get in a nice group from Hollywood while not free miles, it's not as taxing as it might be, and then the same for the other couple of runs I mentioned (notwithstanding the advice about a suitably paced group).

If you did the full randonee I would think you'll be able for the 200. Make sure you fuel, as there wasn't comparable water stops with supplies to the Randonee when I did it. (Lack of) Food and water is always one of the major complaints.

..How would the climbs compare?
    There's a lot more long flat sections on the WW200 and, in my experience, it seems to be a bit more 'relaxed' than the randonnee - not as many 'club' cyclists.

Same username so probably... I'm just stupid rather than impressive ;)

Your training sounds similar to mine the first two times I did it, I'd suggest some kilmashogue lane climbs to get used to prolonged climbing, learn to think beyond the hill if that makes sense. Too easy on a low geared Mtb to winch yourself up so give it a couple tries at a time.

As for this bit:

sleive maan is the hill after you think it is

It's to highlight that there is a little (ish) hill before sleive maan that a lot of people think is the climb. It's not. You'll know in 30 seconds once you go around that bend and see the long constant drag in front of you when you really reach sleive maan.

Last year had a brevet card that worked well with a bike computer, laminate it and attach to the top tube if you are unfamiliar with the route.

My only other advice is to join a group on the day and work with it, the long drag to blessington regularly has the wind against you and is a killer on your own. If you are not familiar with roadie group riding take it handy at the back to learn, explain to anyone looking like they are made out of teak and never half wheel.

Enjoy, it's a proper hard cycle and something to be proud of when you complete it.

Thanks for that . Very useful Stuff all round.
    Will definitely tape the course to the bike.
    I guess I’ll be going up
    Kilmashogue a few times so!!

...I guess I’ll be going up
    Kilmashogue a few times so!!
    There's nothing remotely as steep as Kilmashogue Lane on the WW200. You'd be better concentrating on longer climbs with fairly moderate gradients.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

There's nothing remotely as steep as Kilmashogue Lane on the WW200. You'd be better concentrating on longer climbs with fairly moderate gradients.

Budawanny... take note, very sound advice from a seasoned and very knowlegable cyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a lot more long flat sections on the WW200 and, in my experience, it seems to be a bit more 'relaxed' than the randonnee - not as many 'club' cyclists.

Looking at the route, it's more or less flat from Baltinglass to Tinahealy. Prefer it to turn at Donard and go up Ballinabarny Gap? (I think that it's name), but it wouldn't be 200 km then either!

secman wrote: »
    Budawanny... take note, very sound advice from a seasoned and very knowlegable cyclist.

Kilmashogue lane has a significance to MADmtbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Kilmashogue lane has a significance to MADmtbers.

Not sure what the significance of that is to Budawanny looking for advice for training for W200 ?

Ps Richie was a legend in mtb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Wow!.. Isn't 70 euro to do this a bit steep?

Advertisement