Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

secman wrote: »
    Not sure what the significance of that is to Budawanny looking for advice for training for W200 ?

Ps Richie was a legend in mtb

The advice was to practice climbing, kilmashogue gives madsters a good idea of ability and a shorter (ish) but steeper climb means you can hopefully trade off the differences.

You have your view of Richie, I have mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

There's nothing remotely as steep as Kilmashogue Lane on the WW200. You'd be better concentrating on longer climbs with fairly moderate gradients.

While your correct about nothing been as steep as kilmashouge, I've never once got to the top of it and felt like it wasn't worth the effort.
    One of those is worth two of the others in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Westportif 160 today. Pretty hard , not a lot of climbing in total , 1700 on the Garmin, but the rough road and strong head wind for 85km made it a bit of a bastard. We were on our own mostly too, the missus and I. Some views though. And well organized. Another long day in the saddle will hopefully contribute towards WW200 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

While your correct about nothing been as steep as kilmashouge

Haven't measured really, but this one seems to have even a sillier steep ramp :)

https://www.strava.com/segments/6724849

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    Haven't measured really, but this one seems to have even a sillier steep ramp :)...
    :confused::confused::confused: ... but it's not on the route. We were referring to climbs in the WW200. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Alek wrote: »
    Haven't measured really, but this one seems to have even a sillier steep ramp :)

https://www.strava.com/segments/6724849

Jesus that looks steep. You'd need to be really fit to get up that, especially in second place overall 😀

... but it's not on the route. We were referring to climbs in the WW200.

Neither is Kilmashogue, mentioned earlier.....

You'd need to be really fit to get up that, especially in second place overall 😀

Nah, its just not popular at all... You'll see why when you try it, and I'm sure you will ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hi guys, posting on behalf of my son who has an entry for this year but cannot use it, would anybody have interest in it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Hi guys, posting on behalf of my son who has an entry for this year but cannot use it, would anybody have interest in it? Thanks

I'm toying with the idea. How much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

gmacww wrote: »

Im the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

There's nothing remotely as steep as Kilmashogue Lane on the WW200. You'd be better concentrating on longer climbs with fairly moderate gradients.

WA gave me this advice a couple of years ago on here when I said I was going to do Kilmashougue for training. He advised to do longer less steep climbs... He was bang on and I did Stocking lane and Sally and Wicklow Gaps. Got through the WW200 in 8 hours which was a decent time for me, and had no issues on any of the climbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

WA gave me this advice a couple of years ago on here when I said I was going to do Kilmashougue for training. He advised to do longer less steep climbs... He was bang on and I did Stocking lane and Sally and Wicklow Gaps. Got through the WW200 in 8 hours which was a decent time for me, and had no issues on any of the climbs.

The climbs on the W200 arent hard, the only issue is that Shay Elliot comes straight after Slieve Maan so you need the legs/stamina for that. But bar the very bottom of SE, they arent steep, just longish, by Irish standards.
    W200 is all about stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

I did the 100 last year, my first ever sportive, and a bit more than my regular 10k each way commute :-)
    I found it to be great fun, and have signed up to do the 200 this time around.
    I've done a bit of training for this, but a word of warning - on the stretch that passes down by Kilmacurragh gardens, on a long straight-ish descent before you turn left towards Glenealy - I was up that way last weekend in the car, the road surface is atrocious - severely potholed. I don't recall it being in such a state last year. Both the 100 & 200 will pass this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

tc20 wrote: »
    I did the 100 last year, my first ever sportive, and a bit more than my regular 10k each way commute :-)
    I found it to be great fun, and have signed up to do the 200 this time around.
    I've done a bit of training for this, but a word of warning - on the stretch that passes down by Kilmacurragh gardens, on a long straight-ish descent before you turn left towards Glenealy - I was up that way last weekend in the car, the road surface is atrocious - severely potholed. I don't recall it being in such a state last year. Both the 100 & 200 will pass this way.

Email the organisers. I did this a few years ago 3 weeks before the 200. I was doing amen corner (sleive and shay) and the descent towards Sleive Mann was horrendous. I emailed them to say it was barely fit for the two of us that did it never mind 3000. They got onto the council and low and behold on the day the surface was good.

Worth an email. There is still plenty of time to right it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

Email the organisers.
    Worth an email. There is still plenty of time to right it.

cheers gmacww - I've just mailed them. I'll let you know of any response.

terrydel wrote: »
    The climbs on the W200 arent hard, the only issue is that Shay Elliot comes straight after Slieve Maan so you need the legs/stamina for that. But bar the very bottom of SE, they arent steep, just longish, by Irish standards.
    W200 is all about stamina.

New climb at the meetings is pretty steep ;)

Rather than get completely side tracked in this thread my advice was aimed a someone climbing up to ticknock to Mtb and it was to go that way. Quickest up there is about 12:12 and most can do it under 20 minutes, which is about the time for the sleeve maan climb, it wasn't aimed at a higher geared roadie or someone looking for dedicated training.

On s different note, what time is everyone starting, I missed the parking mess last time, I suspect a lot of people are going to get there early this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

saccades wrote: »

Rather than get completely side tracked in this thread my advice was aimed a someone climbing up to ticknock to Mtb and it was to go that way. Quickest up there is about 12:12 and most can do it under 20 minutes, which is about the time for the sleeve maan climb, it wasn't aimed at a higher geared roadie or someone looking for dedicated training.

On s different note, what time is everyone starting, I missed the parking mess last time, I suspect a lot of people are going to get there early this time.

I'll bow to your memory on that mate, I did it last year but I cant remember what I had for breakfast never mind a hill from last June :D
    I was also a lot fitter last year so was in that rare form of finding every hill no bother at all. Ah, what I'd give for that now.....

terrydel wrote: »
    I'll bow to your memory on that mate, I did it last year but I cant remember.....
    I thought I couldn't remember it either then it occurred to me that I buckled a wheel and didn't finish.

saccades wrote: »

Parking mess doesn't sound like fun so I think Ill be aiming for the car park as early as feck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is a 34/26 a bad combo for this?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is a 34/26 a bad combo for this?
    It will be find for most of the climbs but will be heavy going at the start of the Shay Elliott (depending on your ability of course).

Budawanny wrote: »
    Parking mess doesn't sound like fun so I think Ill be aiming for the car park as early as feck.
    Much easier to park a few km's away and roll up to the start (past the queues).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭maldondo

There's the Lidl car park on the road into Bray and the street parking is free on Sundays in the town. Much easier than trying to get in and out of Bray Emmets o the morning.

Beware of the Supervalue car park and its clampers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It will be find for most of the climbs but will be heavy going at the start of the Shay Elliott (depending on your ability of course).

My ability is soso, so long as I'm able to swear and mutter under my breath I can drag myself up. It's going downhill that I struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Good advice on the parking - Lidl or the Church car park on the main street might work well for some people. I live in Bray so simply rolled down from my house last year, the queue going into Emmets @7am was nuts. One little tip for first timers is to try register the day before. If you do then there is no need to enter the clubhouse. Last year W200 dropped the cards that you used have to get scanned at the start. Instead there is a number that you can attach to the bike. Having it the day before saves faffing around @7am.

Nice one thanks

I'd forgotten about the numbers as a mate grabbed mine on the Saturday at CSS on the Saturday.

I got to the carpark about 6am as I like to get to blessington before the queues and missed all the struggle to get in.

Reckon loads will go early this year so I might park at a mates just in town.

PM sent

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Im the same...

PM sent

Advertisement