Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

saccades wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about the numbers as a mate grabbed mine on the Saturday at CSS on the Saturday.

I got to the carpark about 6am as I like to get to blessington before the queues and missed all the struggle to get in.

Reckon loads will go early this year so I might park at a mates just in town.
    Is there still a pack sent out via post with numbers etc , I remember getting this a couple of years ago ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

whacker00 wrote: »
    Is there still a pack sent out via post with numbers etc , I remember getting this a couple of years ago ???

Last year it was collection only I think, at cyclesuperstore.
    Not sure if that's the case this year but I'd assume postal costs are prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

terrydel wrote: »
    collection only I think, at cyclesuperstore.

I've just checked my email from last year. The sign on options were as follows:

Saturday:
    10am-1pm in Cycle Superstore.
    1pm - 5pm in Bray Emmetts.
    Sunday:
    5.30am - 8am in Bray Emmetts.

Nothing was posted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

They're advertising a top for €25. Here: https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/r0oCPmS9y

I presume it's a standard top and not a cycling jersey?

Greybottle wrote: »
    They're advertising a top for €25. Here: https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/r0oCPmS9y

I presume it's a standard top and not a cycling jersey?

looks like a standard top alright, but you can also buy cycling jerseys etc

http://www.wicklow200.ie/merchandise/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Signed up for the 100km but doesn’t look like I’ll be able to go

If any one wants it send me a PM.

Happy to let it go for free but if you like, you can donate a nominal amount to a charity of your choice.

UPDATE : Gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Signed up for the 100km but doesn’t look like I’ll be able to go

If any one wants it send me a PM.

Happy to let it go for free but if you like, you can donate a nominal amount to a charity of your choice.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

saccades wrote: »
    .... I like to get to blessington before the queues .....
    Baltinglass?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

They've taken away option to register in bray on the saturday, pain in the hole

They've taken away option to register in bray on the saturday, pain in the hole
    Has the Cycle Superstore option also been removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Wherever tbf. So long as I am at the front of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Has the Cycle Superstore option also been removed?

No that's still an option. Doesn't suit me at all though.
    From sending out the packs a few years ago the options have really declined. Just as well the price is falling to match it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I have signed up for the 100km. I did hope to target the 200km this year but life got in the way. I'll struggle through the shorter route as a result. Tbh, I think the entry fee is on the very high side. I'm doing the 112km Tour of Louth this Sunday and the fee for it was only €16.15 after credit card charges. I fail to see the value of the Wicklow 100km. I am just doing it as a challenge and a mate egged me on. Maybe I am missing something.

.... I'm doing the 112km Tour of Louth this Sunday and the fee for it was only €16.15 after credit card charges...
    Probably because it the most boring and unimaginative sportive in the country. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I did the W100 route last weekend and there are two things to watch out for. The surface on the Kilmacurra descent just prior to Deputies Pass is very sketchy ( https://www.strava.com/segments/5827135) . As a previous poster mentioned this road was very badly potholed over winter and now it looks like Wicklow County Council have done a half-arsed job at fixing it up. There is fine gravel in the potholes and I really wouldn't fancy having to break hard on it. I notified the organisers so hopefully the surface might be better next week. The other thing I encountered were some loose dogs on the road between the Connary climb and Kilmacurra, my ride included some unplanned sprint intervals! Hopefully they will be tied up on Sunday week.

Probably because it the most boring and unimaginative sportive in the country. :pac:

It's my home county and I get to visit the parents so it's a nice one for me.

The whole section over to Ardee is pointless. Although it is a fast section and good time to get to know people. More time should be spent in the mountains. Jenkinstown hill has to be done but I think Black mountain should be included too.

This would be my preferred route...possibly with minor adjustments:
    https://www.strava.com/routes/13554439

The only reason I'd take in Blackrock is to give a view of the mountains and what lies ahead.

ETA: This should really be in a Tour of Louth thread. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

[font=arial, sans-serif]THERE ARE THREE SIGN-ON OPTIONS:[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]1. Friday 8th June 4pm – 8pm[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]CYCLE SUPERSTORE, FrameWorks Building, 31 Airton Road, Tallaght Dublin 24 D24 AW96[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]2. Saturday 9th June 11am – 4pm[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]CYCLE SUPERSTORE, FrameWorks Building, 31 31 Airton Road, Tallaght Dublin 24 D24 AW96[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]3. Sunday 10th June 6am – 8am[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]BRAY EMMET GAA CLUB, Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Once you have registered and your barcode has been scanned, you are ready to ride the event. Just fit the official bike number to your handlebars and go to the start line for the start on Sunday morning. Be sure to wear your wristband to access food stops along the route.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]IF YOU HAVE SIGNED ON FRIDAY OR SATURDAY, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO SO AGAIN ON THE MORNING OF THE EVENT. YOU CAN PROCEED TO THE START LINE WITH YOUR CHOSEN GROUP.[/font]
    copied from email received yesterday - may be of assistance

Baltinglass?

There'll be none in Blessington, he'll be on his own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Typical- Weather forecast for next Sunday is saying rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

stupid question but are there any entries still floating around for this? looks like demand has crashed the website as its not loading up for me anyhow. Was going to try and get one for my dad as an early fathers day present!

• Advertisement

irlgw wrote: »
    stupid question but are there any entries still floating around for this? looks like demand has crashed the website as its not loading up for me anyhow. Was going to try and get one for my dad as an early fathers day present!

Are you trying to get your inheritance early? :p

Yeah he just bought a new bike- was hoping to get it with low miles ( and in one piece)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Something seriously wrong with the website, don't load it as something went and downloaded onto my laptop when I visited it.

You can register here however, as it's on a third party site.

https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/rpEuPmS9y

Still mulling it over myself. On my to do list but don't know if I should

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The website looks like it was hacked. It's offering to download me a nice virus (probably state-sponsored, as a bonus). I'll register once it's fixed.
    But yeah, €70 is bonkers - I seem to recall it being €55 last year, but €45 if you registered early.
    Like what part of the Wicklow scenery justifies this price?

Yes my Norton flicked that up as well but thought it came from something else better run a full scan to be sure to be sure

Yes I agree the price is steep and tbh why pay for any cycling experience when the roads are already there, I think its more about the occasion and its in a n incentive to strangle oneself and chat to a few other nutters. In my own experience most sportives talk the talk butd ont really deliver much, ever tried finding the service van or getting directions if you are a straggler. I think its probably something most people do once and then try a different one next time, It would be interesting to see how many repeat customers they get!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Go to eventmaster.ie - you can buy your ticket there directly

10-10-20 wrote: »
    The website looks like it was hacked. It's offering to download me a nice virus (probably state-sponsored, as a bonus). I'll register once it's fixed.
    But yeah, €70 is bonkers - I seem to recall it being €55 last year, but €45 if you registered early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The Wicklow scenery is absolutely priceless if you ask me, but the w200 food stops and leaflet-packed "goodie" bag are certainly not worth 70 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Anyone else collect 50+ gel wrappers from their club spin today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

saccades wrote:
    Anyone else collect 50+ gel wrappers from their club spin today

Like the Charlie chocolate factory, searching for a golden entry to the w200?

• Advertisement

Wicklow is beautiful and is easily worth that price and more, but we can all do it for free anytime we like, the event itself is a ripoff and I only do it as its good training for the etape and trying to do 200km on a solo weekend would be an ordeal.

Advertisement