Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Grassey wrote: »
    Like the Charlie chocolate factory, searching for a golden entry to the w200?

http://www.wicklow200.ie/new-anti-litter-initiative-for-wicklow-200/

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

So the vibe is that the WW200 is going to be like:

meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I just got an entry yesterday, doing the 200 as I do every year. I’m doing it with some work mates, I was meant to be away this weekend and that changed.

I guess the €70 price means plenty of entries still available, which I never remember in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Have to say with trying to cycle 200km with a tough 2700M of elevation gain ,
    the views are not going to be my number one priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

next to the apocalyptic weather conditions of 2013 (or was it 2014) I'd say sunday will be a doddle!

best of luck to all doing it. I've had my fill of the w200 and the IVCA's extortionate entry fees, but happily still acknowledge this as one of the best events I've ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Budawanny wrote: »
    Have to say with trying to cycle 200km with a tough 2700M of elevation gain ,
    the views are not going to be my number one priority.

If you see a fat lad in Madmtb gear on a vomit green bike say hello.

From your posts you'll be well able, just take it handy, don't think the finish line is just around the corner from rathdrum and don't trust any dogs with orange eyebrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

1bryan wrote: »
    next to the apocalyptic weather conditions of 2013 (or was it 2014) I'd say sunday will be a doddle!

best of luck to all doing it. I've had my fill of the w200 and the IVCA's extortionate entry fees, but happily still acknowledge this as one of the best events I've ever done.

I think that was 2014. I did it in 2015 and all everyone would talk about was how bad it was the year before.

I'm doing it Sunday, looking forward to it

No harm in sneaking off a bit early if you arrive at car park at Silly o clock , is there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Budawanny wrote: »
    No harm in sneaking off a bit early if you arrive at car park at Silly o clock , is there ?

Nothing to stop you doing that at all. Just remember take your time in the first 100k. Big mistake I made doing this the first time around was burning all my matches before the last 60k. The last 2+ hours were torture that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Pretty sure you can start it early if you like. Official start time says 7am but you can always head off earlier.

Can't wait for it, should be a great day, try to do the 200 every year but missed it last year so looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Going to be a warm one!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lissard wrote: »
    Nothing to stop you doing that at all. Just remember take your time in the first 100k. Big mistake I made doing this the first time around was burning all my matches before the last 60k. The last 2+ hours were torture that day.
    I'll be marshalling at the Rathdrum Foodstop from 7.15. Was there last year and riders were arriving from a few minutes after my "start" time - 42km in for those doing the 100, suggesting they were starting before 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

So I signed up. I felt violated having to hand over €70 cash (cash only, no cards, seriously...???), at least they threw in a top.

saccades wrote: »
    If you see a fat lad in Madmtb gear on a vomit green bike say hello.

From your posts you'll be well able, just take it handy, don't think the finish line is just around the corner from rathdrum and don't trust any dogs with orange eyebrows.

Ha I definitely will say hello 😀

lissard wrote: »
    Will do , cheers

Roland27 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can start it early if you like. Official start time says 7am but you can always head off earlier.

Can't wait for it, should be a great day, try to do the 200 every year but missed it last year so looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Going to be a warm one!
    Thanks !

Well all the best to everyone giving the Wicklow 100 and 200 a lash tomorrow. Biggest concern for myself now is the temperature. I’d prefer 12 degrees and a nice drizzle !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lucmaur

Have an entry for Wicklow 200 if anyone needs one. Had my bike stolen off the bike rack in main st. Gorey this evening so can’t do the cycle. Gutted.! Should be a great day.
    If anyone has a spare bike with cleat pedals that they could lend me for the day please pm me..!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

First 2 arrivals at Rathdrum feeding/watering station 07:42

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

... And still sat outside soaking up the sun....

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

More cycling, less chatting. As they say, if you have the energy to talk, you're not going fast enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

lucmaur wrote: »
    Have an entry for Wicklow 200 if anyone needs one. Had my bike stolen off the bike rack in main st. Gorey this evening so can’t do the cycle. Gutted.! Should be a great day.
    If anyone has a spare bike with cleat pedals that they could lend me for the day please pm me..!
    Sorry to hear that, hopefully you have some luck in getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

It's been a good few years since I've done the Wicklow. Is is €70 for the 100 aswell? If so that's bonkers.

Well I'm exhausted after all that! 5 and a half hours watching cyclists tackle that little hill up to the foodstop at Rathrdum. Now back home with the feet up.

A day of firsts:

First male 07:42
    First hybrid 08:06
    First female 08:24
    First Boards jersey 09:10 (Green "four ten")
    First mixed 10:33
    First tandem 10:33
    First 200'er 11:28
    First Wishbone Ash 12:32

Well done to everyone who was on a bike through Wicklow this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

That was just a magnificent day to be out cycling, easily the most enjoyable W200 I have done. Great company from a diverse range of clubs - loads down from the North this year. Thanks to Orwell, Phoenix and Foyle Wheelers for lifts at various stages of the day. And of course a big thank you to all the volunteers and marshals who make it all happen. My best day on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Savage day. First time doing it and first time above 160k. Really enjoyable and tough route. In bits now. Thanks to all the volunteers, all in great form and full of encouragement. Saw a few getting attended to by medics so hope they are all ok.

Contracted a severe case of tourrettes over the last never ending 40k...energy sapping!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm annoyed with myself. I made the schoolboy error of getting in with a small fast moving group down the N81. There were 4 of us in the group and we were doing rapid roll-overs and hammering along nicely. I knew I was burning way too much fuel but felt committed at that stage. Suffered for the remainder. I'd say it was my toughest WW200.

Thanks to all involved especially to my club mates who seemed to be marshaling everywhere and difficult to recognise in 'ordinary' clothes.

....and to Beasty guarding the gates to the foodstop in Rathdrum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Great day on the bike. Lovely weather, well marshalled, good food stops and a load of different clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Thanks to all the marshals, I tried to thank them all as I went along but thanks again. It was a great day on the bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Me Jaysus legs. Great fun and thanks to all the marshals, and the cycle superstore guys who fixed my buddies gear cable when it snapped just before Slieve Mann. That climb at the meeting of the waters is pure evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

OMG That 200 was difficult. 10 hours or 20kmp average speed. Was one of the last to finish. Went way too quick on n81.

Advertisement