Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2018

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭wijam

Did the 100 for the second year in a row, as training wasn't there to step up to the 200.

Big shout out to the mechanics, out with a friend and both bikes ran into issues with gears not shifting into the lower gears, mine earlier on got sorted at Enniskerry and friends at Rathdrum.

Fair play to all the stewards as well, did a good job.

And we'll just clarify, no there are not Sunderland or Stoke jerseys, they are Derry City jerseys :)

Shaved 20 minutes off last years times (although no where close to the fastest) so delighted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

There was fruitcake, biscuits, muffins, and small buns when I was at the food stops. There were bananas in Baltinglass (outside on a table on the street) but I didn't see any in Rathdrum.

None of that when I got there unfortunately and we were far from last (at the first stop anyway!). Qued for 20 mins in Baltinglass for choice of ham and cheese/cheese salad sandwich. I felt for anyone who didn't like cheese...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

There were bananas in Baltinglass (outside on a table on the street) but I didn't see any in Rathdrum.

Bananas in Rathdrum were to the left in a box beside the fruit cake when I was there - that said I saw some lads with 3 bananas hanging out the back pockets later on.

I'd have loved another waterstop post Rathdrum though, I ran out about Glenealy and had an awful time in the heat after that (being an idiot and forgetting to bring cash was my fault!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

wijam wrote: »
    Did the 100 for the second year in a row, as training wasn't there to step up to the 200.

Big shout out to the mechanics, out with a friend and both bikes ran into issues with gears not shifting into the lower gears, mine earlier on got sorted at Enniskerry and friends at Rathdrum.

Fair play to all the stewards as well, did a good job.

And we'll just clarify, no there are not Sunderland or Stoke jerseys, they are Derry City jerseys :)

Shaved 20 minutes off last years times (although no where close to the fastest) so delighted with that

I saw ye at the end chatting to a woman blocking the way in the clubhouse beside the tea and coffee. I was gonna give ya some stick about the jerseys. :p C’mon the town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Fintan is Fintan Ryan I would guess, he was in the Ras. Wait until people are doing the ring of Kerry-Ladies view and molls gap are covered-My claim to fame is having my name in paint up there- Envious of the guys that had their names done back in 2013 I think it was.

• Advertisement

None of that when I got there unfortunately and we were far from last (at the first stop anyway!). Qued for 20 mins in Baltinglass for choice of ham and cheese/cheese salad sandwich. I felt for anyone who didn't like cheese...

The main problem was having to queue to get to the food in the first place. It should have been outside and easily accessible.
    Apart from that a big thanks to all the marshalls and volunteers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Well done to all who did the event!

I've done it for the last 5 years (4 X ww200, 1 X WW100) but gave it a skip this year. This was mainly down to laziness but if I had decided to do it, I wouldn't have paid and would have just done the route and looked after my own food and water needs.

It's too dear for what you get. I paid €40 for the first 4 years and €53.50 last year. I believe it was €70 this year and that is just too much - most especially when the organisers seems to get the basics wrong every year - food provision and supply, water in previous years and no early check in @ the GAA start/finish line this year.

If it was for a charity, I'd happily pay it but when alternatives such as the Mick Byrne and the Evil 200 exist, I'm not so sure.

Mind you, despite the pain I experienced last year I did really enjoy it. Maybe in 2019 ...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

red_ken wrote: »
    The main problem was having to queue to get to the food in the first place. It should have been outside and easily accessible.
    And what if there had been a downpour?

On the 100 there was an extended "rush hour" when you could barely move for bikes and bodies. Unfortunately in the circumstances you will never avoid queues.

Beasty wrote: »
    And what if there had been a downpour?

You put it under an open tent, is pretty much the norm for any other event I've been at.

If there is a downpour you definitely don't wanna be queuing for ages in the rain anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

route66 wrote: »
    Well done to all who did the event!

I've done it for the last 5 years (4 X ww200, 1 X WW100) but gave it a skip this year. This was mainly down to laziness but if I had decided to do it, I wouldn't have paid and would have just done the route and looked after my own food and water needs.

And what if you crashed and needed medical treatment? Or you bring down a whole group of cyclists, who will pay their medical bills and damage to their equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Tons of photos (about 1000) up on the event Facebook page now. If you're lucky you might spot yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

And what if you crashed and needed medical treatment? Or you bring down a whole group of cyclists, who will pay their medical bills and damage to their equipment?

What? These are public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Bit late on the review but better than never...

Headed off early with a work colleague who had signed up late, he's a lot stronger than me but is always a little concerned with pacing. Plan was to go around together until Rathdrum and he could zip on from there.

I was slightly worried about the weather and as I'd been a tad ill earlier in the year I'd asked the missus to bring some prepared bottles to the meetings pub for me (we live kinda local) so I traveled light with 2 prepared bottles and 6 gels for the middle section.

That first climb (and rough road to roundwood) is a killer - I know it's a challenge but I really don't like it so early into the spin when I can remember the older route up calary which I liked. Ho hum.

We went well in the fine weather and on the lead into glendalough we ended up cycling with a Nordie lad whose missus had surprised him with a race entry (and flights from where they live in Boston), he was a sound fella and on a similar level to my work colleague.

We agreed to work together on the N81 to keep the speed decent - 3-4 minutes at the front and then swap. Just at the end of the third turn we heard a massive peleton behind us and jumped on. Dave Kane club had about 18 riders, with another club tucked in working well in two lines then it looked like something from wacky races with another 100 or so riders hitching a lift. I don't think I have ridden 35km so fast (I'm based on the old N11 and there are too many roundabouts for me to keep that speed going for so long).

Much appreciated. Quick first feed - grabbed one of the plentiful bananas and a square of raisin cake with a cup of coffee. Then we set off into the hills the three of us working well together, I knew the route well so could guide, the two other lads doing a bit more than me at the front.

Got asked if the hill before the hill before was the start of the first hill climbs... which was a new one, but I was happy to give people a heads up.

Last year I managed 18 minutes up sleeve maan, a single practice this year was at 25, this one took 24 minutes so I'm still not firing on all cylinders (Fast on the flat but woeful on a climb, it used to be my lungs giving out but now it's my legs which is ironic considering). I was never going to stop climbing (and sweating) but I wasn't going fast.

We agreed to met up at the top of the big hills for the descents which isn't a bother with the good weather. Descending was good, gravel in a few spots that made things a bit hairy on occasion but I'm so much more confident on dry roads.

The route from Rathdrum to Bray is all old/current cycle commutes so I knew I was struggling to keep up with my 2 riding buddies (especially as there was a headwind). Lost my work colleague somewhere on the long drag after the climb out of the Avoca valley, lost the Nordie on Windgates after we had stopped for an Ice cream in kilcoole?. Not in a bitter way - they had helped me immeasurably in getting this far so fast and I had encouraged them to crack on as they were much fitter than I.

Got into Bray Emmets (sp) just starting to feel the first twinge of cramp but bunny hopped the sleeping policemen anyways. I thanked most of the marshals on the route as I went past, I've been there and the work you do is much appreciated.

With the others help I managed to knock 5 minutes of last years time - a new pb, which is nice.

I enjoyed the event - it's a good gauge of my fitness and I get to ride infrequent bits of wicklow, weather was great and I look forwards to next year because I am going to have a good winter...

Potential improvements for anyone from IVCA reading:

1. Try to space/police the parked car lines a little better, the movement in was brilliant, constant priority changing to prevent queues forming but needs a little tweaking as my car was blocked in. Fortunately the two guys parked next to me showed up 2 minutes later so once they moved I could wriggle out, but it took them 20 minutes to change from riders to drivers.
    2. Once we were exited left in the cars and we followed our noses to a roundabout, there were no signs and the marshal there didn't know the way to the N11.
    3.More flapjack and less cupcakes please.
    4. That T-shirt is a little odd fitting, big belly and small shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

saccades wrote: »
    4. That T-shirt is a little odd fitting, big belly and small shoulders.

That's fine by me!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well we only had veterans to base the sizes on. This year's model:

fat_cyclist.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

What i loved about the wicklow, I never ever felt so proud to be Irish, fat thin big or small everyone had a go. It was not a walk in the park. When people go to work or not go to work on Monday...they will say I was there. Respect is earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Atom Ant wrote: »
    What i loved about the wicklow, I never ever felt so proud to be Irish, fat thin big or small everyone had a go. It was not a walk in the park. When people go to work or not go to work on Monday...they will say I was there. Respect is earned.

Cycling 200km is a genuine achievement, it is a tough day for anyone regardless of fitness.
    You can probably wing and get thru 100km but 200km you will only manage if you are really able for it.
    So hats off to anyone who completes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

did the 200 (did my 1st 100 last year) - I found the Shay Elliott tough going after the Slieve Maan climb, had to stop a number of times on the way up, but wouldn't allow myself to get off the bike :D
    Came in a t a couple of minutes under 10 hours cycling time, happy with that.
    Cycled to and from Bray, so 220 all in all for me, a bit more than my regular daily commute of 16km round trip!

A big hats off to all the marshalls, and volunteers at the food & water stops.
    And as a previous poster mentioned, extra thumbs up to all the marshalls checking if I was ok for water/food etc - even the roving biker who drew up along side me in Newcastle to see if I'd make it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement