Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 MBP keyboard issues.

Options
  • 09-05-2018 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I have numerous dicky keys on my keyboard which either need repeated presses to register or else will type double characters. Looking online shows this is common enough but the problem now is the lack of an Apple store south of the border to return it to.

I remember CompuB quoting me two weeks to turn around a new battery for my old MBP so I dread to think how long I'd be computer-less if I used them for this.

What's my best option, do you think?

Bring it to Belfast?
    Will Apple arrange the return through phone or web support? Or will they want it appraised by an agent first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

wow thats not good and disappointing to hear, I've found Compu b Dundrum to be quite efficient, otherwise checkout Mactivate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Give CompuB a call anyway.

I've had my MBP repaired a couple of times in Dundrum, and because my livelihood relies on it they've been pretty good at turning it around for me. A few days last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Apple has finally got hit with a class action lawsuit relating to these keyboards. Surprised it hasn't happened before now. They never should have released that design, a computer shouldn't be rendered useless by a bit of grit/dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Issue went away for a while but is now back with a vengeance!
    Spent a while chatting with Apple support this evening and will drop it into CompuB for surgery tomorrow. Notional 1 year warranty is up next month anyway.
    TBH, sorry I traded "up" from my 2011, upgradeable, numerous port having, no dongles required, never skipped a beat MBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

4 year coverage for the keyboards now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

4 year coverage for the keyboards now.

Any source on this?

Edit:

Found this:

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just FYI, even the 2018 designs aren't crumb proof:

https://ifixit.org/blog/10319/butterfly-keyboard-teardown/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Just got mine back after 8 days. Key only worked when pressed hard

Got it back today but it’s repeating and slow. Think they just replaced the key and not the top case

Frustrating

Advertisement