Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepaid visa card

• 10-05-2018 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I going on holidays in few days and looking to rent car.
    They need credit card with €2000 available funds
    Don't have credit card only debit.
    Is it possible to get a pre paid credit card in Ireland and if so where would I get it?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Sounds like you are not taking out their CDW insurance - have you considered https://www.carhireexcess.com which may eliminate the need for the 2000 available funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

homer911 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are not taking out their CDW insurance - have you considered https://www.carhireexcess.com which may eliminate the need for the 2000 available funds?

car hire excess just insures the excess amount, you still need to have funds held on card. But definitely get it.

most should allow for a deposit to be taken from a debit card for the full amount of excess and then refunded at end of hire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kf2010

I think a lot of the bigger companies accept visa debit now! You just have to pay a small deposit with some!
    testicles wrote: »
    You still need a credit card, and have to pay the hire company if you damage it. You then claim from Car Hire Excess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

could you get an O2 money card (or are they gone now)?

or maybe try the post office...they have some kinds of credit card type solutions.

Just get a credit card. They are a very handy tool, don't understand people's fear of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Just get a credit card. They are a very handy tool, don't understand people's fear of them.

Many people like to spend what they have rather than wait until a bill arrives.

I haven't had one for years. I just don't require it.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Many people like to spend what they have rather than wait until a bill arrives.

I haven't had one for years. I just don't require it.

I only spend what I have too but it's often much better to do this with a credit card for safety reasons (risking your current account to fraud), convenience, necessity (for the majority of car rentals), work travel, spreading a cost across two months (while still paying no interest) etc etc.

CC are a very valuable tool in managing your finances and for most are a necessity and also a great back up. I really think it's just people who can't control themselves who are afraid to have them.

Advertisement