Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ketogenic forum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

Aldi have turnips(not swede) which arent too heavy on carbs. Had a stew with them today, they were really nice. They're good in potatoy lumps. Kind of taste like a sweeter potato, texture of an onion kind of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

so spontaneously did my first 36 hour fast on Friday , i was realising during the week that i wasnt hungry at lunchtime or in the evening. it was easy, i got no hunger pangs, when i got home i just had a coffee with 1 teaspoon of butter and that was it. i'd imagine if i had eaten a small meal ~800 calories in the evening would have taken more effort to stick to that. i was more hungry on Sat but that was fine as i eat more at the weekend anyway.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Interesting podcast with Joe Rogan who had Dom D'Agostino and Layne Norton on.

DD is a big advocate of keto but he did admit that the calorie balance is what determines weight loss and that it's just a tool that gets you there.

Did advocate a lot of other benefits but it was a pleasantly surprising discussion that didn't fall into the realm of extremes at either side.

It was more productive than a complete adversarial discussion for sure, I don’t think anyone disagrees with calorie balance but Dom even said calories in calories out is a dynamic relationship. The main difference with keto which they both agreed on is that there is no need to count calories or overly track the quantity of food you eat. The control is eliminating food groups that encourage over eating and being sensible in that all you can eat cheese and nuts is not going to lead to weight loss. There also is clearly a quantifiable difference with keto in that the body is converting the fuel differently ketones v glucose and by the nature of the food eaten the body will require less insulin which is useful in avoiding Type 2

Their discussion on yo-yo dieting was interesting, I had heard that most of the contestants on the Biggest Loser are heavier now that when they entered the show, so a strategy around reset points seems to be important, that if someone can keep their new weight for around 2 years the body might reset to that point.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    It was more productive than a complete adversarial discussion for sure, I don’t think anyone disagrees with calorie balance but Dom even said calories in calories out is a dynamic relationship. The main difference with keto which they both agreed on is that there is no need to count calories or overly track the quantity of food you eat. The control is eliminating food groups that encourage over eating and being sensible in that all you can eat cheese and nuts is not going to lead to weight loss. There also is clearly a quantifiable difference with keto in that the body is converting the fuel differently ketones v glucose and by the nature of the food eaten the body will require less insulin which is useful in avoiding Type 2

Their discussion on yo-yo dieting was interesting, I had heard that most of the contestants on the Biggest Loser are heavier now that when they entered the show, so a strategy around reset points seems to be important, that if someone can keep their new weight for around 2 years the body might reset to that point.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. It works for people because they're in a deficit without needing to count calories.

My only problem with keto is keto zealots who swear it is a golden bullet for weight loss...that it magically causes it and you can eat anything and still lose weight. You'd be surprised how many times I've heard that. There is a large cohort of people who have tried multiple versions of The <insert name> Diet and aloe vera detoxes who then decide low carb or keto are the way to go.

Fortunately, there are sensible people who get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

/\/ollog wrote:
    Aldi have turnips(not swede) which arent too heavy on carbs. Had a stew with them today, they were really nice. They're good in potatoy lumps. Kind of taste like a sweeter potato, texture of an onion kind of.

silverharp wrote:
    so spontaneously did my first 36 hour fast on Friday , i was realising during the week that i wasnt hungry at lunchtime or in the evening. it was easy, i got no hunger pangs, when i got home i just had a coffee with 1 teaspoon of butter and that was it. i'd imagine if i had eaten a small meal ~800 calories in the evening would have taken more effort to stick to that. i was more hungry on Sat but that was fine as i eat more at the weekend anyway.

Well done SH! Its amazing how you dont get hungry on keto. Well, not same as before. And your attitude to food changes too.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. It works for people because they're in a deficit without needing to count calories.

My only problem with keto is keto zealots who swear it is a golden bullet for weight loss...that it magically causes it and you can eat anything and still lose weight. You'd be surprised how many times I've heard that. There is a large cohort of people who have tried multiple versions of The <insert name> Diet and aloe vera detoxes who then decide low carb or keto are the way to go.

Fortunately, there are sensible people who get it.

Partially I'd say though its the group that couldn't work with the more traditional advice so there could be a lifetime of frustration behind those comments, they are certainly wrong if someone says keto is the only way to go for everyone . I see it with my wife, she is the classic moderator personality so she only ever has to marginally tweak what she eats and has no need to exclude anything as such or put much thought into it.
    Its an exciting time though with a more eclectic mix of ideas relative to 10 or 20 years ago when everything was couched in terms of “low fat” which unfortunately still dominates the supermarket marketing and product marketing.

silverharp wrote:
    ...everything was couched in terms of “low fat†which unfortunately still dominates the supermarket marketing and product marketing.

+1

Also,
    Has anyone tried electrolyte drops? My OH tried them but they made her feel "weird".

+1

Also,
    Has anyone tried electrolyte drops? My OH tried them but they made her feel "weird".

I have a bottle, thought it might be a good idea during the summer cycling with the heat. it just tastes a bit salty. I don't think I would bother buying it again.
    I don't eat much food with added salt but I am good at adding salt to food , also started making bone broth and having drinks with added lemon/lime. So I would say that covers it.

silverharp wrote:
    ...thought it might be a good idea during the summer ... I am good at adding salt to food , also started making bone broth ...

Yup. We are doing same. Must be reading same articles!

Yup. We are doing same. Must be reading same articles!

I need to train my butcher, at the weekend they don't have any bones , they said during the week better, then they only had some rib bones so I added a leftover chicken carcass in. It tasted fine but beef bones would probably have more nutrients in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Anyone here have a genuine problem with grains ..i just can seem to tolerate them at all

Anyone here have a genuine problem with grains ..i just can seem to tolerate them at all

I dont have a problem with grains. Except they are carbs, and carbs turn to sugar, and eating sugar disrupts your keto / insulin balance. Have cut out grains altogether from my intake and haven't looked back. Fat / protein is more filling so you end up eating less.

Back from holiday abroad and delighted to report only gained one pound! Loosened the ropes a bit and sampled the local cuisine, but still stayed off bread, pasta, rice & fries. Not thinking about the contents of various sauces etc. Was very impressed that when we ordered a fancy burger in a fancy restaurant, and said 'no bun', the waiter said "oh, you want it protein style?" That means wrapped in a lettuce leaf.... Much easier to manage! Even found a low-carb cheesecake on menu (base made of butter & crushed wallnuts....must google it for making at home). On the whole, managed to stay keto and had good time.

Just wanted to share......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Anywhere Erythritol can be bought in bricks and mortar shops in Cork ? I used Amazon last time but I'd prefer to buy locally if I can . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭aisling86

jharr100 wrote: »
    Anywhere Erythritol can be bought in bricks and mortar shops in Cork ? I used Amazon last time but I'd prefer to buy locally if I can . Thanks

I have seen it in SuperValu in ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭aisling86

jharr100 wrote: »

I have seen it in SuperValu in ballincollig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

What benefit has Keto over regular calorie tracking?

I can’t imagine how someone finds adherence easier when you can’t eat half of foods - think eating out, canteen in work, etc.

Over 99% of calorie restrictive diets fail after the six-month mark as your metabolism slows down as it gets used to the lower calories, it simply does not work long term.

Keto is really easy when you do it correctly, after about 3 weeks of it you'll never miss bread and all the other carbs again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Over 99% of calorie restrictive diets fail after the six-month mark as your metabolism slows down as it gets used to the lower calories, it simply does not work long term.

Ever hear of the Minnesota experiment? Yeah this doesn't happen. Sure at the end you burn less calories but that's due to a range of different factors
    Keto is really easy when you do it correctly, after about 3 weeks of it you'll never miss bread and all the other carbs again.

Great solution for some. not so for others.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Ever hear of the Minnesota experiment? Yeah this doesn't happen. Sure at the end you burn less calories but that's due to a range of different factors

you need to look at more than one study to get a clear idea.
    there is any number of myths about this out there.

there's lots of real evidence on this if you look.

when I was thinking of starting keto I tried to prove it wouldn't work first, but it does work,
    even my doctor told me that nearly all he had been taught in his training about nutrition was wrong and that a calorie restrictive diet will not work in the long term.

• Advertisement

I've seen many studies. Unfortunatley a huge proportion of them are flawed. Which can only be expected but the strongest studies we have suggest calorie restrction is how we lose weight regardless of anything. HOWEVER this does not mean there are a huge amount of ways to go about this which definitley can affect your adherence and your long term consistency. Keto is one of these methods.
    when I was thinking of starting keto I tried to prove it wouldn't work first, but it does work,

I'm sure it does work but for reasons other than it's some metabolism boosting magic.
    even my doctor told me that nearly all he had been taught in his training about nutrition was wrong and that a calorie restrictive diet will not work in the long term.

Doctors aren't dietitians. Their medical knowledge is no reflection on their nutritional knowledge.

The Minnesota Experiment.

one person tried to escape to eat the grass from the field outside.
    one chopped 3 of his own fingers off.
    they all rapidly gained weight when the experiment was over.
    they all ended up heavier than when they started.
    the calorie restrictive diet had actually made them fatter.
    yeah, that went really great.

The Minnesota Experiment.

one person tried to escape to eat the grass from the field outside.
    one chopped 3 of his own fingers off.
    they all rapidly gained weight when the experiment was over.
    they all ended up heavier than when they started.
    the calorie restrictive diet had actually made them fatter.
    yeah, that went really great.

Ah first time reading about it I see.

I wasn't commenting on the effectiveness of the diet as a long term strategy. I was commenting on the fact that it produced predictable weight loss based on the calorie restriction which means their metabolism doesn't just get used to lower calories. Obviously it's a terrible idea to drastically reduce calories for a long period.

And in relation to the bolded part. No it didn't. Their diet afterwards did.

Ah first time reading about it I see.

I wasn't commenting on the effectiveness of the diet as a long term strategy. I was commenting on the fact that it produced predictable weight loss based on the calorie restriction which means their metabolism doesn't just get used to lower calories. Obviously it's a terrible idea to drastically reduce calories for a long period.

And in relation to the bolded part. No it didn't. Their diet afterwards did.

yeah because they needed to recover from the restricted diet, that's why they don't work in the long term, eventually, you have to give up the diet and your body needs to recover but it overcompensates, yoyo

yeah because they needed to recover from the restricted diet, that's why they don't work in the long term, eventually, you have to give up the diet and your body needs to recover but it overcompensates, yoyo

A lot of the time yes that is what happens. People need to be better informed and not less informed. Keto works. But the reason it works is due to calorie restriction with the satiety effects of high fat so you just don't want to eat more.

But for a lot of people it also won't work because it can be hard to do socially or for people on the road etc.

It's not the magic bullet a lot of people make it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,385 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A lot of the time yes that is what happens. People need to be better informed and not less informed. Keto works. But the reason it works is due to calorie restriction with the satiety effects of high fat so you just don't want to eat more.

But for a lot of people it also won't work because it can be hard to do socially or for people on the road etc.

It's not the magic bullet a lot of people make it out to be.

I have to agree. I'm almost 5 stone down in 6 months just on counting calories. I considered the keto diet before I started, but I would have found it far too restrictive to the point that I knew I wouldn't stick to it. It's all well and good to say that after 3 weeks you don't even crave those things any more, and that keto is easy, but it really isn't for some. A friend of mine is doing keto himself and yet just a few weeks ago I was sitting beside him in a pub where he was eating a packet of bacon fries, while I easily had no interest in them and didn't touch them.

The reason I find it easier to stick to counting calories is that throughout, I haven't felt like I've been restricting myself in any way. I've simply changed my eating habits and keep a closer eye on portion sizes. But there's no way I would have been able to stick to keto, especially not long-term. Like those who finish a calorie-counting diet and go back to eating like they used to, if I'd lost weight on keto, I know I would have gone back to eating like I used to once I'd lost enough weight. But as it stands now, by properly educating myself and changing my eating habits, I can't imagine eating like I used to.

Keto works. Counting calories also works. Yes, there can be effects on your metabolism, and it can be a struggle once you've lost weight to keep it off. But it's a person's relationship and education about food that needs to change to properly keep the weight off long-term. I know I'd rather keep counting calories and monitoring my weight for the rest of my life than being on keto for the rest of my life. That simply would not work for me.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I have to agree. I'm almost 5 stone down in 6 months just on counting calories. I considered the keto diet before I started, but I would have found it far too restrictive to the point that I knew I wouldn't stick to it. It's all well and good to say that after 3 weeks you don't even crave those things any more, and that keto is easy, but it really isn't for some. A friend of mine is doing keto himself and yet just a few weeks ago I was sitting beside him in a pub where he was eating a packet of bacon fries, while I easily had no interest in them and didn't touch them.

The reason I find it easier to stick to counting calories is that throughout, I haven't felt like I've been restricting myself in any way. I've simply changed my eating habits and keep a closer eye on portion sizes. But there's no way I would have been able to stick to keto, especially not long-term. Like those who finish a calorie-counting diet and go back to eating like they used to, if I'd lost weight on keto, I know I would have gone back to eating like I used to once I'd lost enough weight. But as it stands now, by properly educating myself and changing my eating habits, I can't imagine eating like I used to.

Keto works. Counting calories also works. Yes, there can be effects on your metabolism, and it can be a struggle once you've lost weight to keep it off. But it's a person's relationship and education about food that needs to change to properly keep the weight off long-term. I know I'd rather keep counting calories and monitoring my weight for the rest of my life than being on keto for the rest of my life. That simply would not work for me.

Spot on. I actually went through the same things when I was dropping a weight class.

You do realise that keto is largely a calorie restrictive diet...it's just that it suits people because they find that the can eat foods, feel satiated and stay at maintenance/in a deficit.

It's ultimately a tool for managing energy balance.

You do realise that keto is largely a calorie restrictive diet...it's just that it suits people because they find that the can eat foods, feel satiated and stay at maintenance/in a deficit.

It's ultimately a tool for managing energy balance.

yes, it is you are right.
    but the difference is where you are on a regular eat whatever diet but just eat less of it type thing is that with a keto diet you eat your own body fat to a higher degree,
    due to cutting out the carbs, lowering your insulin resistance and keeping your metabolism up.
    you don't feel hungry on keto but I know it's not for everyone, horses for courses etc.

Well done on your diet and the weight loss, that's amazing.
    I know keto is not suited to everyone and if what your doing is working for you then you must be doing something right, keep it up and I wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I think everyone is different and to see if a diet is working for you, you just have to give it a try. In my case the ketogenic diet works very well, I would not survive on a vegan diet. I also prefer eating a local diet, in colder climate traditional diets have a lot of fat for obvious reason.

• Advertisement

Well done on your diet and the weight loss, that's amazing.
    I know keto is not suited to everyone and if what your doing is working for you then you must be doing something right, keep it up and I wish you all the best.

Thanks. I do understand that my metabolism may be changing the further I go on, and not in a helpful way, but I know for myself that keto isn't the answer, at least not long term.

My own thoughts on people who diet and put on more weight after is that it's almost akin to why many drug addicts overdose after being off drugs for so long. They're off drugs for a while, whether due to rehab or just being off them, but when they go back on drugs they go back to doing the amount of drugs they'd been doing before. However their tolerance isn't the same as it had been as they were clean for so long that the amount of drugs they used to do is now too much.

Likewise, if you diet for ages and then reach your goal weight etc, some people tend to then go back to eating like they had been, because the diet was a restriction but now they're free of those restrictions. Their metabolism has changed, so now the foods they used to have affects them even more. That's why I believe your diet should never be too restrictive and that you should be able to still fully enjoy all the food you eat, but you just need to make sure you don't have too much of it, or you find healthier versions of what you want to eat.

That's what drives long term change imo. If someone doesn't find maintaining a keto diet to be restrictive and they enjoy all those foods, I can see it being a great way to go. But it's simply not going to work for everyone.

Whatever one chooses it has to be for life, more or less, so the question is, do you broadly enjoy the process of how you lost weight. If every day feels like a punishment then chances are you will end up in a yo yo situation, so try something different that is more acceptable.

yes, it is you are right.
    but the difference is where you are on a regular eat whatever diet but just eat less of it type thing is that with a keto diet you eat your own body fat to a higher degree,
    due to cutting out the carbs, lowering your insulin resistance and keeping your metabolism up.
    you don't feel hungry on keto but I know it's not for everyone, horses for courses etc.

It is horses for courses.

There are plenty of people who can keep their metabolism up, lower insulin resistance etc on a healthy, balanced diet.

Calorie counting isn't as reductive as eating less of what you eat. A lot of people use MyFitnessPal as an educational tool to make better choices in what they eat.

Low carb, keto, IF, paleo...they're all just tools to keep the energy balance in check. The one that works for you, works for you. They just all amount to much the same thing.

Thanks. I do understand that my metabolism may be changing the further I go on, and not in a helpful way, but I know for myself that keto isn't the answer, at least not long term.

My own thoughts on people who diet and put on more weight after is that it's almost akin to why many drug addicts overdose after being off drugs for so long. They're off drugs for a while, whether due to rehab or just being off them, but when they go back on drugs they go back to doing the amount of drugs they'd been doing before. However their tolerance isn't the same as it had been as they were clean for so long that the amount of drugs they used to do is now too much.

Likewise, if you diet for ages and then reach your goal weight etc, some people tend to then go back to eating like they had been, because the diet was a restriction but now they're free of those restrictions. Their metabolism has changed, so now the foods they used to have affects them even more. That's why I believe your diet should never be too restrictive and that you should be able to still fully enjoy all the food you eat, but you just need to make sure you don't have too much of it, or you find healthier versions of what you want to eat.

That's what drives long term change imo. If someone doesn't find maintaining a keto diet to be restrictive and they enjoy all those foods, I can see it being a great way to go. But it's simply not going to work for everyone.

Many people that follow a ketogenic diet don't do this for weight loss, they just do because after many years of feeling sick and no helps from doctors,they start to realize that the food they are eating is the cause of theirs symptoms. Sometimes you buys a box of cooking in the supermarket and you are eating peas because in the ingredients is listed the pea protein. You are eating peas and you don't even know...Many people find out that going back eating basic, just meat/fish, veg and of course fat eliminate most of their symptoms and for this reason they don't find the diet restrictive. The previous unhealthy diet was the restrictive one

What Ive noticed is that outside of this well informed forum ;-) is that mainstream media tends to be dismissive of low carb , keto or IF. If you read between the lines the more reasonable criticisms will argue “it no better” than calorie counting so erm don’t do these diets whereas they ought to say, its no worse than calorie counting so give them a shot if a standard diet isn’t working for you.

Many people that follow a ketogenic diet don't do this for weight loss, they just do because after many years of feeling sick and no helps from doctors,they start to realize that the food they are eating is the cause of theirs symptoms. Sometimes you buys a box of cooking in the supermarket and you are eating peas because in the ingredients is listed the pea protein. You are eating peas and you don't even know...Many people find out that going back eating basic, just meat/fish, veg and of course fat eliminate most of their symptoms and for this reason they don't find the diet restrictive. The previous unhealthy diet was the restrictive one

Ultimately, the root of the problem for those many people was the unhealthy diet.

You could argue that the reason keto worked is because it is making the diet much healthier. Not just because it is keto.

I've nothing against keto, by the way. Plenty of people here have had some great results and it works for them. But there's more than one way to skin a cat and what works for one person may not work for another.

I agree, that's why I just think blanket statements like some which have been used in some of the posts today (and possibly by myself too and apologies if so) are unhelpful. What some people find restrictive, others may not. What some find easy to follow, others may not. What works for some people may not work for others. The foods a person was eating which contributed to health conditions may not be causing those same conditions in other people.

Like silverharp said, it has to be changes you can stick to long-term for it to truly stick. Whatever the individual finds works best for them is what they're more likely to stick to now and in the future, whether that's keto, CICO, IF, paleo, vegan or whatever.

Ultimately, the root of the problem for those many people was the unhealthy diet.

You could argue that the reason keto worked is because it is making the diet much healthier. Not just because it is keto.

I've nothing against keto, by the way. Plenty of people here have had some great results and it works for them. But there's more than one way to skin a cat and what works for one person may not work for another.

I agree, the problem is very few people are eating an healthy diet, most of the people are eating products with white flour or sugar in big quantity everyday. The whiter the bread, the sooner you’re dead... Also don't have time for cooking from scratch or don't like spending too much time in the kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm almost 5 stone down in 6 months just on counting calories.

Mate that's incredible, congratulations. That takes motivation, vigilance and dedication - making new habits and becoming a way of life. You don't see that kind of progress without a complete mindset change. You're an inspiration!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Mate that's incredible, congratulations. That takes motivation, vigilance and dedication - making new habits and becoming a way of life. You don't see that kind of progress without a complete mindset change. You're an inspiration!

Cheers mate, genuinely means a lot. Your posts, constant great advice on this forum and your own progress have definitely been a huge help and inspiration to me and no doubt countless others.

• Advertisement

Update on my fasting “experiment”, for someone who never missed a meal before this year I seem to have taken to it like a duck to water. Last week was probably my best. Fasted Mon Tue Thur and Fri, had a normal type day on Wednesday , had a cup of pumpkin soup before heading out to work, an avocado/pork salad for lunch and a mince beef curry with veg in the evening, large portion but couldn’t finish it and a kefir milk smoothie with berries and nuts. Next meal was an omelette on Sat morning incorporating the leftovers from Wed and took it from there. Loads of energy during the week , did my usual 125km weekly cycle commute no problem.
    No particular food cravings or desire to break the fast early and nothing cumulative, Friday morning felt the best. Weekend can best be described as refuelling time but no desire to go off the rails and eat junk food, happy to be having things like a large tuna salad for lunch for example, dinner Sunday night was a salmon and prawn curry, was planning to make pork ribs but ran out of time. Should keep this up til xmas anyway and review again in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

There is some great inspiration over on Instagram

Follow hashtag #keto_konspiracy or @keto_konspiracy

silverharp wrote: »
    Update on my fasting “experiment”, for someone who never missed a meal before this year I seem to have taken to it like a duck to water........

Congratulations SH! Thats fab!!

My OH does this too and I haven't been brave enough to go past a 24 fast myself.

Anyone notice that keto was mentioned on Home & Away and Neighbours recently. Must be gathering fans....

Anyone notice that keto was mentioned on Home & Away and Neighbours recently. Must be gathering fans....

Good luck finding anyone else admit to watching both.

For shame.

Good luck finding anyone else admit to watching both.

For shame.

It was on in the background while i was polishing my rifle collection, I swear!

There's a euphemism if ever I heard one!

Keto and intermittent fasting go together well. But has anyone got any advice/ tips for a friend who sometimes has to work a night shift (8pm to 8am). Should he shift his eating schedule around or stick to eating last meal of day at his usual time (approx 7pm)? Or wha'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Hi are you doing Folks? I've been on a low carb diet since last Wednesday and after doing some reading, I've gone Keto since Saturday. I've still a lot to learn but I'm getting there e.g yesterday I ate far too much protein but my macros are looking better today. The first few days were tough, I didn't feel great at all on Sunday. Today I'm much better though. The dehydrated feeling is gone and I've much more energy than before.

Weight loss is the primary goal. I weighed in at 82.3kg last week but I'd like to be around the 73-75 range. I'm giving alcohol a prolonged rest - 3 months at least. I'm gonna stick with Keto up until May, in order to give it a proper try, I'll see how I'm feeling then but I'm open to staying on this long-term if I feel good.

I'm hoping to progress next week. Shopping, meal prep and my macros should be better and hopefully I'll be able to be back doing proper workouts soon, my performance has definitely diminished a little the last week but that's to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

KETO is wonderful but be careful as it's easy to kick yourself out of it.

I tried it last year and lost 15 kgs, but i hated the idea of not drinking beer and not eating chocolate. This month I'm trying being a vegetarian and its really no fun (due to amount of time i spend in hotels) but at least I can drink beer.

Good luck and have fun.

• Advertisement

I've done Keto since the beginning of October, so around 3 months and 3 weeks and I'm loving it, so easy for me but I never really drank much beer anyway so that wasn't an issue for me but I know what you mean giving up things you like and enjoy isn't much fun...but it's got to be done.
    I was very overweight at 18 stone 4 lb. (116.2kg) and I'm now 14 stone 10lb (93.3kg) so I've lost 3st.8lb, 50lb, 22.7 kg.
    I'm keeping going as I want to get down to around 12st 7lb. 79kg.
    The Christmas was Ok as I took the week off, I put a few lbs on but managed to lose it again fairly quickly.

Advertisement