Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ketogenic forum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

That’s great stuff! At my worst, I was 105kg. I’m now 70 and have been easily able to maintain that for awhile now. I’d like to put on a few kg of muscle though so I’m looking at the keto 5x5 training and will have to get the balance right with protein now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Hi are you doing Folks? I've been on a low carb diet since last Wednesday and after doing some reading, I've gone Keto since Saturday......

Welcome to the keto way, Bunny! You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Welcome to the keto way, Bunny! You won't regret it.

Thanks bud. Happy to embrace the Keto life, so far so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Hi Folks,
    I'm also having great success on this diet. I ended 2018 with a 35hr fast and started straight into the keto diet having gorged on sugar, wine and whiskey with gusto.

I found the first two weeks very tough...not so much the eating and having to think a lot about what to eat etc. More so, the low blood sugar feeling hit me over a few days. If you've ever ran a marathon too fast and hit the wall, well its just like that. Lots of water and salt and a magnesium supplement.

I'm nearly a stone down (mostly water I know) and feel great now. I've noticed that I'm not finishing meals as I feel full and can go through the day on a very low calorie intake without feeling hangry. Plenty of fat to fuel me...two stone to go.

Anyway, this has probably all been said in this thread before but I wish you well. It's an incredible thing....I'm honestly amazed how different I feel in such a short time and how easy it is once you keep it simple. Great info in this thread, thanks.

What is the best peanut butter to eat on keto?
    I'm assuming the stuff in supermarkets are full of sugar?

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    What is the best peanut butter to eat on keto?
    I'm assuming the stuff in supermarkets are full of sugar?

Not to be evasive, bubbly, but you will want to read the ingredients. This becomes 2nd nature after a while on keto. The manufacturer love to slip in some sugar and call it by another name just to fool you! And, just in case you don't know..... The list of ingredients is in volume order, withe the largest at the start.

And you will want to learn how to read the nutrition table on food too.

In the beginning, stick with what you know is definitely keto, and at same time, what stuff you like..... You wont go far wrong. You can get adventurous as you go along ...... Fat head pizza anyone? Yummm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Meridian seem to be a good brand, i get their almond butter from time to time

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=284847836

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

Do any of you have recommendations for electrolytes I should be taking?

I've been looking around and all the supliments I've seen have a very low RDA % of magnesium and I don't think I've seen one for potassium.

Also, is there another important mineral I should look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Do any of you have recommendations for electrolytes I should be taking?

I've been looking around and all the supliments I've seen have a very low RDA % of magnesium and I don't think I've seen one for potassium.

Also, is there another important mineral I should look at?

A good magnesium supplement plus using LoSalt on your food is a good place to start.

Ive started making a bone broth from ox tail or shin bone which has marrow in it , I add sea salt and some lo-salt which is potassium based, the main reason is that I do IF on and off so I thought it might be a good idea, do the same if going to the gym, I just throw a mixture of the 2 salts in a bottle and add water there. I’d imagine you absorb the nutrients better than pills which can be a mixed bag. Just try to eat plenty of nutrient dense foods

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I've done the same with ox tail myself but the rubbery feeling on my lips didn't do it for me.

I try not to use any salt at all because I've high blood pressure (almost at healthy normal since keto though), will try adding in some, thanks

I've done the same with ox tail myself but the rubbery feeling on my lips didn't do it for me.

I try not to use any salt at all because I've high blood pressure (almost at healthy normal since keto though), will try adding in some, thanks

there seems to be a difference, the ox tail seems to make a thicker broth that gels up when its cold. The last batch I made was sliced shin bone with the marrow in the centre. It came out as a clear consomme type soup which doesn't thicken up when cold.

Had my ketones measured last week and I was 1.1 after about a week going keto. I'm not sure what that means.
    Had a mixed weekend last week regarding food and drink but I'm going grand again. Want to get to the gym a few times this week as well, as it's been neglected the last two weeks between the diet and being busy at work.

Also want to get some unsweetened almond milk. Good stats on the stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm on One Meal a Day (OMAD) with keto. Not feeling hungry at all.

In the past when I ate carbs I felt seriously faint with hunger in between meals.

Keto/low carb is amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

Slimfast have brought out a keto range
    Any thoughts on replacing entire diet with these for a few weeks.

Magnatu wrote: »
    Slimfast have brought out a keto range
    Any thoughts on replacing entire diet with these for a few weeks.

My initial thought is that it's probably a terrible approach

One of the great advantages of keto is that all the food recommend is normal. You dont need replacement meals, shakes, bars, smoothies etc.

There are a lot of people/ organisations that are coming to the keto party late and trying to make a buck. Be cautious! Stick to low carb / low sugar stuff and you dont need these 'supliments'.

PS the first item on the slimfast keto range contains palm oil, whey, xanthan gum, and dextrose. So thats a big NO from me.

PPS why would you eant something with so many added (artificial) extras when you could have bacon & eggs, or bacon & cabbage, or steak & mushroom, or fish, sardines, burger with egg on top, fat-head pizza..... The bonified keto range is huge! And lovely tasting!

One of the great advantages of keto is that all the food recommend is normal. You dont need replacement meals, shakes, bars, smoothies etc.

There are a lot of people/ organisations that are coming to the keto party late and trying to make a buck. Be cautious! Stick to low carb / low sugar stuff and you dont need these 'supliments'.

PS the first item on the slimfast keto range contains palm oil, whey, xanthan gum, and dextrose. So thats a big NO from me.

PPS why would you eant something with so many added (artificial) extras when you could have bacon & eggs, or bacon & cabbage, or steak & mushroom, or fish, sardines, burger with egg on top, fat-head pizza..... The bonified keto range is huge! And lovely tasting!

I find keto lacks convenience food.

So do I. Intention would be to do this for a few weeks to drop half a stone then switch back to a regular diet with carbs.
    Agree ingredients are artificial and not healthy but would it be effective for rapid weight loss.

• Advertisement

So do I. Intention would be to do this for a few weeks to drop half a stone then switch back to a regular diet with carbs.
    Agree ingredients are artificial and not healthy but would it be effective for rapid weight loss.

Yes. Keto is down on convenience. There is more prep involved at home. But its just a matter of getting into new habits.

If you go keto for a short while and then go back, you will put back on the weight you lost. Keto isnt a diet. Look at it as a way of life. Like vegetarianism. You wont get the advantages if you do it short term. The primary advantage of keto is that its healthy and good for the body (ie healing). Weight loss is a secondary advantage.

Give it a month. You will see & feel more improvements than weight loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you go keto for a short while and then go back, you will put back on the weight you lost.

If your calorie intake is higher than when on keto.

If your calorie intake is higher than when on keto.

Not just calories in this case.
    You'll also replenish glycogen bad water. Not fat related, but people only care about the scale number

Mellor wrote: »
    Not just calories in this case.
    You'll also replenish glycogen bad water. Not fat related, but people only care about the scale number

True. I guess I'm looking at it from the point of view of someone with a reasonable understanding.

That being said, and while I have zero issue with keto, I think framing it the way it was above creates a different perception of more thsn just water weight. That's all.

I'm finding now that I'm never really hungry. I went to the gym at 3 today without eating (had a few black coffees) and did a good session. When I got in I had a small nutribullet and a big omellete at 5pm and I'm still nowhere near hungry. Probably won't eat tomorrow until 1pm.

It's amazing how much fats fill you up and the fact you don't crave anything else. That's probably the best thing about keto.

True. I guess I'm looking at it from the point of view of someone with a reasonable understanding.

That being said, and while I have zero issue with keto, I think framing it the way it was above creates a different perception of more thsn just water weight. That's all.

I think it's important that people understand that calories are the main driving of weight.
    But I think people also need to be aware of the replenish weight.

All of those crash/quick fix diets deplete glycogen. None of them mention it though, as they want to pretend that cayenne in your green tea melted 3kg of fat. But that lie is balanced by the fact that people believe they put on 3kg of fat once they return to a balanced diet.

I think it's important that people understand that calories are the main driving of weight.
    But I think people also need to be aware of the replenish weight.

All of those crash/quick fix diets deplete glycogen. None of them mention it though, as they want to pretend that cayenne in your green tea melted 3kg of fat. But that lie is balanced by the fact that people believe they put on 3kg of fat once they return to a balanced diet.

I'm all for people understanding the 'why', whether that be why they lost it or put it on. At a basic level.

I think it's important to flag these in a forum. Full disclosure and all that.

Like I said, no problem with keto or low carb. Whatever works. Just useful sometimes to give a little context.

That is one of the great cons of keto. If you deolere glycogen as keto does you will also lose the water weight glycogen holds. Possibly 4-8 lbs.
    This is not fat. If you go off keto to balanced diet. you will put back on the water weight almost immediately. As soon as your glycogen stores fill up again.
    But people see. Keto =weight loss : Going off keto =weight gain.

I Keto isnt a diet. Look at it as a way of life. Like vegetarianism. You wont get the advantages if you do it short term. The primary advantage of keto is that its healthy and good for the body (ie healing). Weight loss is a secondary advantage.

Really. I call BS. The reason people do keto is weight loss. This is not a secondary advantage.
    And your claim that removing carbs from diet is healthy and good for the body is very dubious.

• Advertisement

Really. I call BS. The reason people do keto is weight loss. This is not a secondary advantage.
    And your claim that removing carbs from diet is healthy and good for the body is very dubious.

if someone was going down the road of pre diabetes or actually had Type2 its an excellent reverse course way of eating, its not just about weight loss

That is one of the great cons of keto. If you deolere glycogen as keto does you will also lose the water weight glycogen holds. Possibly 4-8 lbs.
    How is that a con?
    It literally happens.
    This is not fat. If you go off keto to balanced diet. you will put back on the water weight almost immediately. As soon as your glycogen stores fill up again.
    And?
    If you follow Keto, lose glycogen + 4kg fat.
    Then you return a balanced diet and replenish glycogen...you've still lost 4kg.
    But people see. Keto =weight loss : Going off keto =weight gain.
    Well it is weight gain. It's just not fat.
    3kg of glycogen and water weighs 3kg. And it's very beneficial to use that weight to your advantage if you compete in a sport with weight divisions, for example.

How is that a con?
    It literally happens. .

Because you hear people saying things like.
    *I started keto on Monday and am down 5lbs already. Great diet*.
    Or
    "I fell off the wagon at the weekend. Had some fruit and vegetables. Put in a few pounds. My bad.
    Come Monday it's back to the processed meats. Rashers are so healthy and good for you"

Because you hear people saying things like.
    *I started keto on Monday and am down 5lbs already. Great diet*.
    Or
    "I fell off the wagon at the weekend. Had some fruit and vegetables. Put in a few pounds. My bad.
    Come Monday it's back to the processed meats. Rashers are so healthy and good for you"
    Those people are dumb and don't understand nutrition.
    How is the keto's diets fault? It's shouldn't be blamed for people ignorance.

If you scroll up, you see where I called out crash type diets for pretending the water loss is fat, and thus leading people to believe the gain is fat. That's actively conning people.

I Keto isnt a diet. Look at it as a way of life. Like vegetarianism. You wont get the advantages if you do it short term. The primary advantage of keto is that its healthy and good for the body (ie healing). Weight loss is a secondary advantage.

My OH and I do keto for the health benefits. We are 7 months in and never felt better. All the good keto books, sites and articles say keto is to help with seizures, diabetes, abd inflammation. Weight loss IS secondary.

Removing carbs is fine. Plenty of science to back this up. There are such things as essential fats, essential protiens, even essential oils .... But no such thing as essential carbs. Why? Because they are not essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I feel a million times better on keto - Mind body and soul. My brain is clearer and i find it easier to study for college on keto. Avocado is brain food for brain power.

• Advertisement

I went off and enjoyed myself last weekend. Had pints on Saturday and pizza Sunday. Back on it since Monday, I didn't go through the keto flu but it still took a couple of days to get back into the swing on things. It's probably not worth it just breaking it for a weekend, more hassle than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm on keto diet at the moment for approx 5 weeks and down about 1 stone. Would like to lose another 2 stone. I do miss chips but when i get these cravings, if it have something fatty, my cravings disappear.

I do feel a bit more energetic and less hungry a lot of the time. I am planning on sticking to this until a long weekend break in May abroad but then go right back on it. (i will try my best to limit carbs though)

I am hoping to incorporate slightly more carbs as i get closer to my goal weight and then stick to it. The main thing is that i am eating less processed foods but spending more time reading labels and feel less bloated which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

I'm on day 4 of a VLCD (very low calorie diet) which is also keto. They say you can have 250mls of skimmed milk per day or unsweetened almond or coconut milk. My local cafe in work uses Alpro Professional coconut and almond milk. Here are the links to the products and their ingredients/nutritional values. If I was to have one cappuccino 2 or three times per week made with this almond or coconut milk, would it throw me out of ketosis? There is sugar in the ingredients.

https://www.alpro.com/uk/for-professionals/products/drinks/almond/almond-for-professionals

https://www.alpro.com/uk/for-professionals/products/drinks/coconut/coconut-for-professionals#productrange

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Very low calorie and Keto doesn't really work as a combination. What are you eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

Brian - it's the New You Plan. I'm not in favour of crash diets but desperation has set in! Basically shakes, soups, meal replacement bars:

http://blog.thenewyouplan.com/faqs

• Advertisement

Very low calorie and Keto doesn't really work as a combination. What are you eating?
    What's the basis for that statement?
    Makes no sense to me tbh.

VLCD work by creating huge deficits, and inducing ketosis. I'm not a fan of them, but they aren't in any way at odds with ketosis.

@HellesBelles
    The sugar content of the almond milk isn't ideal. But one coffee (c.200ml) isn't going kick you out of ketosis. Just account for the sugars

Brain - it's the New You Plan. I'm not in favour of crash diets but desperation has set in! Basically shakes, soups, meal replacement bars:

http://blog.thenewyouplan.com/faqs

so basically a low carb Newcastle diet? is there any data on how successfully the people kept off the weight 3 or 4 years later? the main problem with this kind of dieting is that it comes close to the much vaunted "starvation mode" , the last thing thing you want to do is unnecessarily slowdown your metabolism in the long run

Got any evidence that an overweight person's metabolism slow after a few weeks on a VLCD?

Their body is "consuming" irs daily calories than they are due energy from fat stores.
    If the energy demand exceeds the rate that the body can supplynit, there's a problem and the body will try to solve it. But that's a lot more likely when a person is lean. Rather than overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I'm on day 4 of a VLCD (very low calorie diet) which is also keto
    I thought that the whole concept of KETO was to reduce carbs and make your body work on ketones, so how can you achieve that on a VLCD without monitoring the macros?

VLCD are often so low, that after basic protein and fat requirements are met. There's only really Keto levels of carbs over.
    But most of them, that I seen, actively promote ketosis alongside VLCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What exactly is your calorie intake for "very low"?

smurfjed wrote: »
    What exactly is your calorie intake for "very low"?

VLCD is usually defined as 800 or less

Got any evidence that an overweight person's metabolism slow after a few weeks on a VLCD?

Their body is "consuming" irs daily calories than they are due energy from fat stores.
    If the energy demand exceeds the rate that the body can supplynit, there's a problem and the body will try to solve it. But that's a lot more likely when a person is lean. Rather than overweight.

The link said it was a 12 week programme so basically 3 months, keto might square the circle but it doesn’t seem to be a common approach , most people seem to go down the IF or some version of alternate day fasting rather than a straight line approach.

I'm back on keto the last two weeks. I was on holiday during May and was just plain lazy restarting. It can be tough to get back into it but once you're in, it's fine.

The best thing about it is how it restricts what you're eating. There's a gigantic bag of chocolate and sweets sitting in my kitchen and I haven't had the urge to even look at them. I can guarantee that wouldn't be the case if I was just calorie counting. An all or nothing approach maybe but it's amazing how you just don't care about sugar or carbohydrates after a while.I'm also not calorie counting. I've a good idea on how many calories I'm consuming after using MyfitnessPal before but it's nice not having to be militant with that.

One thing I'm doing different this time is wising up to my intake of red meat. Consuming too much simply won't be good in the long term. 70g is the recommended intake and I was eating way beyond that on my last keto trip. Less cold meats, bacon, mince and steak and more healthy fats and greens this time.

One thing I'm doing different this time is wising up to my intake of red meat. Consuming too much simply won't be good in the long term. 70g is the recommended intake and I was eating way beyond that on my last keto trip. Less cold meats, bacon, mince and steak and more healthy fats and greens this time.

there is a lot of agenda driven hate against meat all backed up by dubious questionnaire and association studies. if the meat is fresh i wouldnt see an upper level as a thing. once you arent eating it on pizza or with fries:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement