Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia stage 6 Caltanissetta - Etna 164 km

Options
  • 10-05-2018 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 6 today and possibly the 1st time the race can really be thrown open with the climbing today up Mt Etna to the finish. Be the 1st real test of Dennis as a GC contender aswell as to see how his climbing goes.Maybe a chance for Froome or Fabian Arrow to gain time back
    When the Giro returns to Etna for stage 6 on Thursday, the lie of the land is rather different, given that the gruppo will tackle it from a new approach, by way of Ragalna. The shelter afforded by the forestry on Etna's western slopes means that the wind should not play as prominent a role, while the gradient itself is more irregular than on the race's previous treks up the volcano.

G18_T06_Etna_alt_jpg.jpg
    Technical Overview:
    The Giro comes back to the Etna for the second year in a row, using yet another new road. From the town of Caltanissetta the peloton will face the now usual rolling terrain for pretty much the whole stage, which does not present any really tough gradient until the volcano approaches. The ascent has a first sector that is little more than a long false flat, with 14.5 km at 3.4% average. After around 5 km of descending false flat, the second and final sector starts. The Etna (GPM1, 15 km at 6.5%) is tackled from a totally new road, and is to be climbed up until the Osservatorio Astrofisico, instead of Rifugio Sapienza (which is a bit higher and could have been still reached, since the road does connect with the usual one). The official start of the climb is in Ragalna, but the sector starts almost 4 km earlier at roughly the same gradient, so that the overall numbers of the climb should be almost 19 km at 6.5%. A very respectable climb, either way. It is quite irregular, the hardest ramps reaching 15% and featuring many easier sections. The key ramp is at 5.2 km to go, with 0.5 km at 12% while the last 1.5 km are almost a false flat.

G18_T06_S01_Etna_alt_jpg.jpg
    The Climbs:
    Etna (GPM1, 15 km at 6.5%)
    There you have it, a profile! After a bunch of GPM4 we hit the jackpot with a GPM1. The Etna is a very famous climb of course, but this side has never been ridden. Supposedly, the final 5.5 are on quite narrow roads. Should give a much different impression than the ascent of 2017. Hopefully.

Pretty in Pink afer the stage will be 23 votes

Tom Dumoulin
    0% 0 votes
    Fabio Aru
    17% 4 votes
    Rohan Dennis
    13% 3 votes
    Chris Froome
    8% 2 votes
    The Yates twin whos riding the Giro
    13% 3 votes
    Thibaut Pinot
    47% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Froomey for the win ;)

He seems to be suffering like a dog so far

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tommy D in Pink, Woods for the Stage, Froome to crash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,487 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think when I did that stretch of Etna it was in one of these!
    tomassini-mercedes-4x4-bus-which-crawls-up-the-slopes-of-mt-etna-loaded-ACB2BM.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Uninterrupted coverage....of a screen saver.

Screen_Shot_2018-05-10_at_11.38.07.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It'll be interesting to see if 'normal service' is resumed and Sky take control of the peloton.

Hopefully it'll be more exciting than the stage on Etna last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lumen wrote: »
    Uninterrupted coverage....of a screen saver.

Screen_Shot_2018-05-10_at_11.38.07.png

Inhaler break in the peleton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Tough day for BMC today and a big test for Dennis

Its like the Grand National though ...so hard to pick a winner and also so hard to pick who will be in pink

Not sure how Dumoulin is feeling but with Froome now on the back foot he has to try and test him as Froome will come good in the final week

I think SKY must be keeping de la Cruz for then as he is way down every day

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Tough day for BMC today and a big test fro Dennis

Hopefully Nico will be there with Dennis for as long as possible.

Hopefully Nico will be there with Dennis for as long as possible.

Would hope so but the form is poor as can be seen by the TT
    Hoping to race into form ....

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Would hope so but the form is poor as can be seen by the TT
    Hoping to race into form ....

Yeah that's true about Nico.

I would feel bad for Dennis though if he is isolated early on during the Etna climb.
    There should be a few BMC team mates (i.e. not just Nico) with him for a lot of the climb.

• Advertisement

Dennis/ BMC taking the jersey as he did surely means even they don't see him as a genuine GC contender? Tommy D happy to let him have the jersey to save energy v BMC wasting energy to get and retain it.

GCN (Emma Pooley) reviews the finish of stage 6 of this year's Giro d'Italia, the famed Mount Etna

I like Emma's videos for GCN, good one last week of her in for a bike fit.

Chavez in the break, likely so small they never noticed him slip away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

Bmc plan: two team leaders. Nico's plan: chase a stage after doing some training in Week 1 of the Giro.

Break mental ....everyone calling each others bluff

Dennis will lose the jersey at some stage soon ...its how much effort BMC want to put in to keep it
    They do want stages as well

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I like Emma's videos for GCN, good one last week of her in for a bike fit.

used to be an avid viewer of GCN but gone off them now, I think it went to commercial and became a load of adverts. Plus that GCN intro really gets on my nerves.

neris wrote: »
    used to be an avid viewer of GCN but gone off them now, I think it went to commercial and became a load of adverts.
    I think they got pulled up on all the product placement, so now have to be more upfront about it! So it's probably the same, but now more obvious :)

Really surprised that Chaves was allowed to go in that breakaway

• Advertisement

the way things are going for froome I can see him bailing out of this rather then finishing off the podium

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

neris wrote: »
    the way things are going for froome I can see him bailing out of this rather then finishing off the podium

He started tdf poorly last year and won it ,he's that type rider and cones into his own last 10 days or so when the inhalers kick in :)

Dcully wrote: »
    He started tdf poorly last year and won it ,he's that type rider and cones into his own last 10 days or so when the inhalers kick in :)
    I think today is d day tbh - he wasn't as far off the pace at the start of the tour as he has been so far in the giro. He was 12 seconds down at the tour TT, but still first of the GC contenders.

Come on Chavez

froome being dropped

Froome and Aru looking a bit second hand here.

ah lads ffs come on yiz should have sprinted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Amazing by Chavo. Looking forward to Mitchelton-Scott's backstage pass video today!

Yates could live to regret not taking the 10 seconds.

• Advertisement

Going to be very interesting to see how Yates & Chaves perform as a team when the next mountain climbs come about

Advertisement