Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery Van from [a retailer] appears to have damaged property but denies it

Options
  • 10-05-2018 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My mother recently had some furniture delivered from a local furniture shop <snip> in Kerry. The delivery lorry decided to reverse down the road to the house for some unknown reason as other lorries have successfully been down a number of times. It delivered the furniture and after he left we found that our property had been damaged, probably when he was reversing. There is no other rational explanation for this. The property was undamaged before he arrived and we discovered the damage shortly after he left. In any case my mother contacted the company and they have denied they did this. It is a very unfortunate circumstance where you are trying to support local businesses and they behave in this manner. Do we have any options in terms of consumer rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what kind of damage. scraping paint off a wall or knocking it down etc.

i would drive down there and look at the back of the trucks and try to see paint etc that would prove it.

i would gently in passing say that you will be checking all the cctv tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EF2018

Unfortunately we have no CCTV. It was a sign for a business my mother runs which has been completely destroyed. Their driver denies it but I think it is hugely disappointing that a local business like <snip> would do this to another small local business and local customer and not engage with the reality that there is no alternative explanation available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

but they dont know if you have cctv.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No specific naming of businesses like that, please

You would need evidence to go any further; not using a firm again is about all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

EF2018 wrote: »
    Unfortunately we have no CCTV. It was a sign for a business my mother runs which has been completely destroyed. Their driver denies it but I think it is hugely disappointing that a local business like <snip> would do this to another small local business and local customer and not engage with the reality that there is no alternative explanation available.

How did she pay for the goods? If by credit card, she could request a chargeback till the supplier/delivery firm sees sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

How did she pay for the goods? If by credit card, she could request a chargeback till the supplier/delivery firm sees sense.

I'm not sure a CC company would be happy with this. What reason could she give for the chargeback? She received what she paid for with the credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

What? The goods were received, do you think a shop could use your credit card to deduct money b

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It can't even be proved it was the delivery driver at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

That is fraud. She got her purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

EF2018 wrote: »
    My mother recently had some furniture delivered from a local furniture shop <snip> in Kerry. The delivery lorry decided to reverse down the road to the house for some unknown reason as other lorries have successfully been down a number of times. It delivered the furniture and after he left we found that our property had been damaged, probably when he was reversing. There is no other rational explanation for this. The property was undamaged before he arrived and we discovered the damage shortly after he left. In any case my mother contacted the company and they have denied they did this. It is a very unfortunate circumstance where you are trying to support local businesses and they behave in this manner. Do we have any options in terms of consumer rights?

Would this actually be a consumer rights issue as it is not an issue with something you had bought but rather a possible accident while it was being delivered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ignore this advice completely.

It's unfortunate that damage was done but you have no proof the delivery driver did it and unless you get some them there's nothing you can really do other than taking your custome elsewhere in future.

Advertisement