Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW R Nine T Range

Options
  • 10-05-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I am looking at getting one of the new R nineT Scramblers. If any of ye here have any experience with the R nine T's I would love to hear some pros and cons for the bike.

I would be using it as my primary mode of transport and weekend drives around the country. I know they are nakeds but would they handle motorway speeds well. I was looking at the Ducati Scrambler but for a grand a half more I could get the R Nine T instead which I think looks miles better.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TMF < Reviews a few Nine T's.

He gives really nice, common sense reviews of his test bikes.

Worth subscribing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Looks good. I will give them a look after work. Thanks Mak

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Might give you an idea -

Of course, there are other bikes you could consider - Harley, Indian Scout, Triumph’s Bonneville Bobber, etc

Paulw wrote: »
    Might give you an idea -

Of course, there are other bikes you could consider - Harley, Indian Scout, Triumph’s Bonneville Bobber, etc

You are making this difficult. The Bonneville looks amazing. I have difficult but excellent choices to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're not really comparable, are they?

The BMW is more like a regular scrambler/streetfighter design, so should be lighter, more compact, more manouverable than all of those bikes.

Loads of choice in this segment.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

They are all quite different, but a similar segment of the bike market. Plenty of personal choice out there.

I considered the R Nine T myself, but in the end decided to go with the Indian Scout Bobber.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lumen wrote: »

The BMW is more like a regular scrambler/streetfighter design, so should be lighter, more compact, more manouverable than all of those bikes.

They are all making the scrambler/streetfighter type of bike now

Might give you an idea -

I gave this a look yesterday. The racer looks amazing but Grumpy Wizard has the right of it. It has no place here. I wonder if the Scrambler or the normal r nine would manage better.

I do like his videos. He has a dry sense of humour and his bmw looks real nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They are all quite different, but a similar segment of the bike market. Plenty of personal choice out there.

I considered the R Nine T myself, but in the end decided to go with the Indian Scout Bobber.

I'd be interested in hearing about the Scout, and maybe how it compares to what you may have had before. Not many about.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Rory28 wrote: »
    Hello all. I am looking at getting one of the new R nineT Scramblers. If any of ye here have any experience with the R nine T's I would love to hear some pros and cons for the bike.

I would be using it as my primary mode of transport and weekend drives around the country. I know they are nakeds but would they handle motorway speeds well. I was looking at the Ducati Scrambler but for a grand a half more I could get the R Nine T instead which I think looks miles better.

Any input would be much appreciated.

I agree they are beautiful, and I have only a fleeting test ride experience, but I think on anything other than a lovely day without a care in the world, they are impractical as commuters.

Very close, and more usable, is the R1200R - and even on the motorway it has limitations - I'm thinking in winter. Dynamically I couldn't fault it though. Not sure why they're more expensive the the NineT though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Very close, and more usable, is the R1200R - and even on the motorway it has limitations - I'm thinking in winter. Dynamically I couldn't fault it though. Not sure why they're more expensive the the NineT though.

I liked the look of Grumpy Wizards R1200RS. I am now currently avoiding work and reading reviews of it. They do seem a bit more practical for Irish weather than the r nine.

I'd be interested in hearing about the Scout, and maybe how it compares to what you may have had before. Not many about.

I now have two bikes - BMW F800 GSA and the Indian Scout Bobber. Two totally different bikes, in every way.

GS is tall, heavy, great for long rides, large petrol tank, carries a load (including me), can be ridden two up, relaxed and an easy ride. It does it's job well, but would never be described as a fun bike.

The Bobber is more a street mean bike. Mad power in it, very low to the ground, no ability to carry anything besides me really, and is great fun. The stock bike is not brilliant, but with two changes (seat and rear suspension) it is just mad fun.

There are 3 Indian Scout Bobbers in the country, and mine is the only bronze one. I don't think the other two are in Dublin. There are a few Indian Scouts and Scout Sixtys around, but not that many. The bike gets attention. I've had people stop in traffic to admire the bike. I've had people come up to me just to ask about it. It is just so different to anything else out there. It is designed as a US city cruiser, for short hops. The stock seat is fairly uncomfortable and not much support. The stock shocks are way too stiff and you feel every pothole. But, accepting that, and changing those, and it's a totally different experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I have a Nine T, but have ridden the Triumph as well, both the bonne and the thruxton R.

The range on the BMW is pretty decent but it has a big enough tank for that. Boxers run a bit leaner as well so in general its a fairly economic engine for that. I get about 250-290km per full tank, and the reserve would bring you up close to 300 or so.

I will say also, while the initial 30 mins on the Triumph were great, my arse was in ruins after 1 hour or so, the seat is dire. I find the BMW way more comfortable.

I love my BMW (shipped it home from Canada, where I bought it), it sounds great, super smooth and has the legs when its needed. Been adding parts to it as well, one of them being a dart fly screen which really helps the wind on the chest.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Gintonious. Would you say I would get away with using it everyday or is it more of a second bike? I just love the look of it and would buy it tomorrow if I knew it could be a commuter bike and one for long spins on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Where is your commute?

Personally i think it would be a terrible bike for Motorway speed commutes you would very quickly tire of it I dont think it would handle daily motorway nonsense here in this climate

but if your commute is local around suburban / City streets then would be fine

I commute about 30 - 40 mins drive. I can avoid the motorway on really bad days and use back roads but if its a struggle to use in the weather we have 90% of time then maybe I should look for something else.

Thanks Gintonious. Would you say I would get away with using it everyday or is it more of a second bike? I just love the look of it and would buy it tomorrow if I knew it could be a commuter bike and one for long spins on the weekends.

You could easily do both to be honest. The boxer engine will go forever, and the shaft drive is super smooth.

There is also a range of parts for it to make it your own bike, which is what i am in the middle of. Granted I have a 2015, I have a non adjustable front (no biggie to me) and I believe the frame is different on the newer ones, the scrambler has more basic front suspension but from reviews its still a joy, and I think it has higher ground clearance too.

I used it as often as I could in Vancouver, and on open roads it just goes, the torque...once you try one you will see, its addictive in any gear. Just open the throttle and she moves.

I will say the boxer can be a tiny bit clunky at low speeds, but its not a deterrent at all, its part of the character of the bike.

And as I said, that engine has been around for years now, its tried and tested with its use in the GS and GSA.

Gintonious wrote: »
    You could easily do both to be honest. The boxer engine will go forever, and the shaft drive is super smooth.

There is also a range of parts for it to make it your own bike, which is what i am in the middle of. Granted I have a 2015, I have a non adjustable front (no biggie to me) and I believe the frame is different on the newer ones, the scrambler has more basic front suspension but from reviews its still a joy, and I think it has higher ground clearance too.

I used it as often as I could in Vancouver, and on open roads it just goes, the torque...once you try one you will see, its addictive in any gear. Just open the throttle and she moves.

I will say the boxer can be a tiny bit clunky at low speeds, but its not a deterrent at all, its part of the character of the bike.

And as I said, that engine has been around for years now, its tried and tested with its use in the GS and GSA.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I will ask for a test ride of the regular r nine t and the scrambler and make a decision then. Thanks for the input Gin. An owners perspective is invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I commute about 30 - 40 mins drive. I can avoid the motorway on really bad days and use back roads but if its a struggle to use in the weather we have 90% of time then maybe I should look for something else.

If you have a back road option your better off using that and use motorway rarely. Our weather on the East Coast is not that bad for 2 wheeled commuting. It's only freezing that makes the commute dangerous, nearly all the other weather can be defeated with proper clothing, and we rarely get bad freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gintonious wrote: »

Did you commute 40 minutes to work in all sorts of weather everyday ?

Genuine question as it's completely different to 'using it as often as I could '

Be candid it's alot of dough to spend on a bike for someone who wants to commute 40 minutes daily in our Irish weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

This isn't a commuter bike suitable for your needs, it's a naked bike for cruising on a Sunday. I love the naked bikes too but like you I commute so I have a tourer, look elsewhere or you'll be selling it come winter.

listermint wrote: »
    Did you commute 40 minutes to work in all sorts of weather everyday ?

Genuine question as it's completely different to 'using it as often as I could '

Be candid it's alot of dough to spend on a bike for someone who wants to commute 40 minutes daily in our Irish weather.

Went to work everyday on it, was about 20-30 mins in Vancouver. Weekends consisted of rides to Whistler and Pemberton, which were about 6 hour round trips.

Vancouver winters would be quite a bit wetter than Irish ones as well. I wasn't a fan of the rain myself but I did do it.

I find it a very useable bike, its not a treat-on-a-Sunday sports bike that you physically can only use for a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My wife rides a 2016 RNineT and loves it. We've been all over Ireland and she has no bother doing 4 or 5 hours straight on it with the stock bench seat.

There has been zero problems with it in the 2 years we've owned it. I regularly take it for a spin if I fancy a change from my GS Adventure but find the RNineT slightly too cramped for my 6ft4in frame after an hour or so.

Its a stonking bike, I just wish they made it in size XL :D

D3V!L wrote: »
    My wife rides a 2016 RNineT and loves it. We've been all over Ireland and she has no bother doing 4 or 5 hours straight on it with the stock bench seat.

There has been zero problems with it in the 2 years we've owned it. I regularly take it for a spin if I fancy a change from my GS Adventure but find the RNineT slightly too cramped for my 6ft4in frame after an hour or so.

Its a stonking bike, I just wish they made it in size XL :D

Get yourself the lowering kit for the pegs ;)

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you have a back road option your better off using that and use motorway rarely. Our weather on the East Coast is not that bad for 2 wheeled commuting. It's only freezing that makes the commute dangerous, nearly all the other weather can be defeated with proper clothing, and we rarely get bad freezes.

You are correct, but an RNineT isn't going to remain pretty when ridden in climes like that. BMW's are not renowned for frame paint quality...

Ode To The Motorist

You are correct, but an RNineT isn't going to remain pretty when ridden in climes like that. BMW's are not renowned for frame paint quality...

ACF-50 does wonders for all bikes. Have used it on mine and its still in great shape.

I will admit that I already bought the bike in my head and came looking for just one person saying it works as an commuter and weekend drives.

Its a done deal. I'm going for the Scrambler model. Will post pics when I have it. Thanks for the input guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I will admit that I already bought the bike in my head and came looking for just one person saying it works as an commuter and weekend drives.

Its a done deal. I'm going for the Scrambler model. Will post pics when I have it. Thanks for the input guys.

Good choice, does it have the road or knobbly tires ?

And are you going for the cast or spoked wheels?

• Advertisement

From everything I read the knobblys are just for looks and are terrible on the street so Im going with the road tyres. Booked Thursday off this week to go into the dealership. I am like a kid at christmas.

Advertisement