Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW R Nine T Range

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Naked bikes are fine for commuting. You just have to wear better clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Gintonious wrote: »
    And are you going for the cast or spoked wheels?

Spoked. They look so good,

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rory28 wrote: »
    Spoked. They look so good,
    That seems like s terrible idea for a commuter.

Lumen wrote: »
    That seems like s terrible idea for a commuter.

Why? I didn't know there was that much of a difference beyond looks. A wheel is a wheel no?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Spoked are tubed and can't be plugged easily in the event of puncture, you need a new tube. Cast are tubeless and are much more durable. Personal preference really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    Spoked are tubed and can't be plugged easily in the event of puncture, you need a new tube. Cast are tubeless and are much more durable. Personal preference really!

Personal preference with no knowledge of BMW wheels by the looks of it. BMW spoked wheels are laced from the edge of the rim so no need for tubes. They're also a lot stronger than the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Good shout Devil.

Have to admit I'm a little obsessed with the R Nine T Racer at the moment. Saw it in the flesh when I was down in Cork for work a few months ago, can't get it out of my head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

D3V!L wrote: »
    Personal preference with no knowledge of BMW wheels by the looks of it. BMW spoked wheels are laced from the edge of the rim so no need for tubes. They're also a lot stronger than the cast.

Thats the case on the GS models, not the same for the R nine Ts though. Mine are spoked and have tubes.

*There are tubeless ones available i believe, but they are quite the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realgonekid

Personally, I ride a 2017 XR and on the ****ty days turn to my €10 scooter :) Best of both worlds. Regards spoked and cast wheels!! if you are going to commute the R9T you will need to look after the spoked wheels with regards to cleaning. From previous experience, the finish on the spoked wheels can become stained with the build-up of brake dust and improper cleaning. Once that is covered then it's spoked all the way.

Thats the case on the GS models, not the same for the R nine Ts though. Mine are spoked and have tubes.

Yes, I also have a spoked R Nine T but I was referring to the Scrambler which has the GS style wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yes, I also have a spoked R Nine T but I was referring to the Scrambler which has the GS style wheels.

Ah, mixed up there.

I think they are an optional extra...for a BMW-esque price.

Ah, mixed up there.

I think they are an optional extra...for a BMW-esque price.

Isn't everything. ;)

Isn't everything. ;)

I was on too the dealer and he pointed out that the Scrambler X has the heated grips and Spoked wheels as standard. It works out cheaper than adding them on too the Scrambler base model and comes with a nice matt finish.

Save myself enough for some fancy pants to go with the bike.

Advertisement