Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conti GP4000s in Dublin.

Options
  • 10-05-2018 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any shop in around Dublin that matches the online price for Conti GP4000s tyres? Blew a sidewall last night and would like to replace before the weekend.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect asking a B&M shop to match an online price could be a tall order.

Halfords have the 28c version in stock for €36 if you do a click and collect

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/continental-grand-prix-4000-s-ii-bike-tyre-700-x-28c

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

I have two new 23s, you could have one. Where are you based? You can get me a new one (in the near future) to replace it.

Just noticed you're in Dublin, I am not unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

531 wrote: »
    I have two new 23s, you could have one. Where are you based? You can get me a new one (in the near future) to replace it.

Just noticed you're in Dublin, I am not unfortunately.

Actually I can make a similar offer of 25c GP4000SIIs, based in D15 and have been working from home lately but hope to be in the office in D2 at least tomorrow AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Cycling community can have great spirit and friendliness... for my part I keep a spare tyre, 2 tubes and co2 kit in boot of my car in case I ever see a cyclist in trouble on side of road with punctures .
    Haven't had to use them yet though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

secman wrote: »
    Cycling community can have great spirit and friendliness... for my part I keep a spare tyre, 2 tubes and co2 kit in boot of my car in case I ever see a cyclist in trouble on side of road with punctures .
    Nice one. Must do that myself - never thought of it before.

(Might be more sense to put them in Mrs WA's car also in case she has to bail me out sometime!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm, i just keep the two spares in the car. keep meaning to leave a mini-pump in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

secman wrote: »

Is c02 cannister safe in the boot of a car during summer months? Rest of it sounds like a good idea though a tyre is a bit on the generous side for me! tubes, CO2 & levers I could stretch to :)

Not that I am often in the car. Have been happy to offer a spare tube to someone I passed on my bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Thanks for the replies above. I've put the winter wheels on the good bike - they'll do for the weekend!

Halfords stocking 25mm GP4000 would be handy.

Anyway, it was the front tyre (GP4000) side wall that went while coming around a bend. Thankfully, there was no oncoming traffic as I had no control at that point. I think the pad on one side was rubbing against the tyre under braking and may have contributed to the blow out.

From now on, I think I'll buy a a pair of tyres at the start of the spring weather and bin them at the end of the season - after a few thousand kms of good use. The tyres I had on the bike were in use last year and stored over the winter. That might not have done them any favours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

After a good few years singing the praises of GP 4000's, I have now decided to switch to GP 4 Seasons or Rubino Pro's. Of the last four or five 4000's, all of them have failed due to sidewall damage with plenty of wear left on the thread. A couple went due to very slight rubbing from mudguards, one from an overlapping brake block, one from touching off a kerb and another from coming in contact with the corner of the shed door! I know all of the above were my fault but the sidewalls really are paper thin. For the kind of cycling I do, I don't really need the slight weight advantage and I have never noticed the "increased feel" they are meant to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Have the GP 4 Seasons on the winter wheels. Yeah, great tyre. At speed there is no real difference between them and the GP4000. Where its noticeable is accelerating up to speed and out of the saddle on a climb - they're a bit squidgy.

Fian wrote: »
    Is c02 cannister safe in the boot of a car during summer months? Rest of it sounds like a good idea though a tyre is a bit on the generous side for me! tubes, CO2 & levers I could stretch to :)

Not that I am often in the car. Have been happy to offer a spare tube to someone I passed on my bike though.

Hmm might stick an old Aldi foot pump in instead of Co2.

Fian wrote: »

The tyre is a used one with life left on it .... it's matching tyre was well worn , replaced with 2 new gp4000....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and I have never noticed the "increased feel" they are meant to give.
    I think they roll beautifully but never had any luck with them puncture wise. I punctured on every ride I used them so they are now hanging in the garage.

I think they roll beautifully but never had any luck with them puncture wise. I punctured on every ride I used them so they are now hanging in the garage.

Stick them in boots of cars :) get someone out if jail someday

Advertisement