Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to a prefab shed

Options
  • 10-05-2018 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get a steel shed later this year, something like a Shanette, Steeltech etc. They come insulated and wired for electricity.

When we had the house rewired a couple of years ago I got the electricians to leave a cable out the back of the house for a future shed.

I'm just wondering what the actual connection process typically is?

Is it a matter of digging a trench, running the cable and just connecting into a fuse board? Will a sparks dig the trench or just do the actual connection?

Is this the kind of thing that's such a small job I'll find it hard to get someone to come out and do it?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hooplah wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what the actual connection process typically is?

Pretty much as you described. The sparks will have to test and certify too.
    Is it a matter of digging a trench, running the cable and just connecting into a fuse board?

Generally, yes.
    Will a sparks dig the trench or just do the actual connection?

Doubtful as it must be at least 3 feet deep.
    Is this the kind of thing that's such a small job I'll find it hard to get someone to come out and do it?

Hard to say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

2011 wrote: »
    Doubtful as it must be at least 3 feet deep.
    Is that new? thought it was 30cm depth?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Steve wrote: »
    Is that new? thought it was 30cm depth?

Your post made me look it up. I was wrong, there are various minimum depths depending on a number of factors such as cable type. It’s explained in table 52B.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Thanks for all that. Where is table 52b published? Would be handy to get a look if I'm going to have to get digging!

hooplah wrote: »
    Thanks for all that. Where is table 52b published? Would be handy to get a look if I'm going to have to get digging!

In the National Rules for Electrical Installation, ET101:2008
    This costs around €90

Anyway the answer is: In a domestic installation an SWA or NYCY cable direct buried in the ground must be buried to a minimum dept of 450mm.

The regulations also state:
    Suitable indication shall be provided above a buried cable at a distance of approximately 300 mm vertically below the completed surface, or at half the buried depth, whichever is the lesser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Can you not clip SWA to the wall?

Got to be cheaper than trenching :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Yes you can, it can look nice done correctly.

cgarrad wrote: »
    Can you not clip SWA to the wall?

As above, yes you can.
    But that isn’t much help if the shed isn’t close to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

2011 wrote: »
    As above, yes you can.
    But that isn’t much help if the shed isn’t close to the wall.

Real world experience talking there I bet!

Could you use a catenary wire? Is there a height that it has to be at?

cgarrad wrote: »
    Real world experience talking there I bet!

Yes, as it happens I have seen a few sheds that were not close to walls :):D
    Could you use a catenary wire? Is there a height that it has to be at?

Sure, it mightn’t look that great but it might be quicker and cheaper.
    Depending on the distance poles may be required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement