Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonia O’Sullivan: Our athletes need to win on track not social media

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

They were chosen because they are the only notable European medalist at that level in the past 10 years.

The only other notable performances i can think of are Sara Moreira (29) for 3rd in New York in her Debut and Volha Mazuronak with her 5th place in Olympics in 2016 (27)

The running boom has well and truly become independent of athletics in this country. Junior/Senior athlete numbers are still abysmally low and drop off rates in the sport continue to remain steadily high. Over 30% of the AAI membership do not actively engage with the sport at a grass roots level and volunteers remain hopelessly overstretched with minimal return when you see participation numbers. I think we will be waiting a very long time for any sort of conversion if things stay the way they currently are.

In county a county board member said about juvenile athletics "if it was a dog he put it out of it's missery".

The Uber elitism destroys clubs. That's why over 90 per cent give up at the age of 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In county a county board member said about juvenile athletics "if it was a dog he put it out of it's missery".

The Uber elitism destroys clubs. That's why over 90 per cent give up at the age of 16.

There are large drop off rates in all sports at a similar age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

https://www.fastrunning.com/opinion/comment/less-social-media-will-not-address-irelands-generation-gap/16252

Probably a better article in response to Sonia's piece as it gets more to the heart of the problem imo.What exactly do junior athletes have to aim at these days? AI refuses to send teams to U23 championships and the likes of World XC so the bridge from Junior to senior athletes is made very large. AI will say that this is down to lack of depth to compete at these events but is that also a cause of dropouts? Lots more valid points in there as well such as the level of coaching and isolation of injured athletes etc. Obviously, there's a ton of reasons why it's happening but I feel this is a much mlbetter representation than Social media and participation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Safiri wrote: »
    https://www.fastrunning.com/opinion/comment/less-social-media-will-not-address-irelands-generation-gap/16252

Probably a better article in response to Sonia's piece as it gets more to the heart of the problem imo.What exactly do junior athletes have to aim at these days? AI refuses to send teams to U23 championships and the likes of World XC so the bridge from Junior to senior athletes is made very large. AI will say that this is down to lack of depth to compete at these events but is that also a cause of dropouts? Lots more valid points in there as well such as the level of coaching and isolation of injured athletes etc. Obviously, there's a ton of reasons why it's happening but I feel this is a much mlbetter representation than Social media and participation.

Read that article during the week, a bit of a side note but probably the best line I have read in a long while
    And if you’re on social media bemoaning the current situation or slating someone’s performance, instead of coaching a session, giving some advice, or picking up the phone to someone who may benefit from a few words of encouragement, then maybe you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Advertisement