Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maple Tree - Dead

Options
  • 10-05-2018 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

I have a Maple (Acer tree). About 25 to 30 years old, 15 feet tall. Used to have brilliant red foliage in May - later used to darken a bit.

Anyway, last year, I noticed that the leaves were much more sparse and appeared to be smaller than before. This year - it appears to be completely dead - no sign of life. No buds, no leaves.

Has it died due to old age or do they get infected with something or other?

If I plant another Acer/Maple in the same spot, will it be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Should be , the bad winter and frist killed off a lot if trees , is it an exposed location

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have a Maple (Acer tree). About 25 to 30 years old, 15 feet tall. Used to have brilliant red foliage in May - later used to darken a bit.

Anyway, last year, I noticed that the leaves were much more sparse and appeared to be smaller than before. This year - it appears to be completely dead - no sign of life. No buds, no leaves.

Has it died due to old age or do they get infected with something or other?

If I plant another Acer/Maple in the same spot, will it be ok?

I would guess it's unlikely to be just old age as most trees will go on for longer than that. The RHS page on them lists some diseases that can be a problem and if it's one of those another acer in the same spot could catch the same disease. I've got a younger one that was undamaged this winter but if its got some other underlying problem and in an exposed position a severe winter might have been enough to finish it off. The rhs page does say they can be harmed by cold winds and late frosts. I would be slow to write it off completely at this stage. A couple of trees I have in exposed parts of the garden are only starting to get leaves going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's nothing unusual, we're all prone to disease and death at the end of the day..the signs were there for a couple of years.

It's fine to plant a new one.

Advertisement