Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough cost to convert a garage to a granny flat

Options
  • 10-05-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I've got detached garage that's approximately 56sq m. It's a good construction with a solid roof and good celling height. It has electricity, a toilet, a kitchenette and windows on one side. It would need the toilet area turned into a wet room and the kitchenette replaced with a proper kitchen in the same space (this would involve blocking off one of the entrance doors) It could probably do with a velux in the main area to let in additional light. I'd be looking at making a bedroom and living room so would need radiators and a boiler and would probably replace the garage door with either patio doors or just windows (there's an entrance around the back)

Any idea of a rough cost to convert it? also, it would be for an elderly relative who has dementia so do you think planning would be a problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dont forget planning application and the cost of building a link between the detached garage and the main dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ebeanz

kceire wrote: »
    Dont forget planning application and the cost of building a link between the detached garage and the main dwelling.

I'd though about planning costs but do the two buildings have to be linked?

Also can anyone give me a ballpark cost for the build or is that a silly question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

ebeanz wrote: »

You are creating a new seprated dwelling so its depending on where you live and it's development plan. As its detached and for an OAP you would have to produce a lot of supporting documention so getting professional help with the application maybe value for money.

On a the dementia end of things have you contacted a support group like the alzheimer society for help on the design input. eg
    While putting in a kitchen may give independance will it be a long term fire hazard.
    With the doors are they overlooked by the bedrooms and living area of the main house if the person would wander.

Good luck with the plan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ebeanz wrote: »

Also can anyone give me a ballpark cost for the build or is that a silly question?

Yes they must be linked to be classed as a granny flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ebeanz

Thanks for both your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement