Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttle bus from Blanchardstown to Dublin Airport

Options
  • 10-05-2018 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

Is there any shuttle bus running from Blanchardstown to Dublin Airport (both directions)? I heard about the new 139 from Naas to the airport. Can't believe nothing stops at Blanchardstown with a current population over 120k.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

'fraid not. A crowd called Urbus used to run such a service, but they pulled it a few years ago because it wasn't making a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Quest21

Wondering why Naas, Maynooth or Leixlip are making more "profit" than Blanchardstown with IBM or Symantec...

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭john boye

The 139 doesn't go to the airport

No, Naas, Sallins, Clane, Rathcoffey, Maynooth, Leixlip and Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can of course get:
    * Route 17a to Santry, then any bus to the airport.
    * Train to Drumcondra and any bus or Aircoach to the airport
    Quest21 wrote: »
    Wondering why Naas, Maynooth or Leixlip are making more "profit" than Blanchardstown with IBM or Symantec...
    M50 toll will be part of it, but Blanchardstown-Airport is usually 'easy' by car or taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 139 never served the airport; Maynooth has a completely separate, unsubsidised airport service from Dualway. Naas has Dublin Coach long distance services stopping in.

Dualway are apparently selling off their city centre sightseeing operations to fund expansion of the airport services (according to the SBP) and as there has previously been a Blanchardstown-Airport licenced service it should be easy to get a licence for it. Their two current routes were previously licenced to Flybus although Flybus never operated the Maynooth one. So getting on to them to request a Blanch service wouldn't be a bad idea.

Can't agree more with you, @L1011. If we make some "pressure" to them and they feel there is demand coming from Blanch, they might consider it.

Is this the company you're referring to: www.dualway.com?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Victor wrote: »
    You can of course get:
    * Route 17a to Santry, then any bus to the airport.
    * Train to Drumcondra and any bus or Aircoach to the airport

If you time this well, you'd be in the airport fairly quickly. 17a get off at the end of Santry Avenue, get a 16 or 41 and you'd be in the airport within 15 minutes from there.

Total cost 3.30 using leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It's just too close to the airport, if there's 2 of you, the cost of a taxi from door to door will be not much more than a bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quest21 wrote: »

Is this the company you're referring to: www.dualway.com?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

I don't think there would be a high demand on a daily basis from blanchardstown to the airport, but if you add finglas, glasnevin , ballymun and santry to the equation and go on as far as swords , I think there's certainly a case.

My point is the airport and swords should be central to a proper functioning orbital route on the Northside of dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

The problem with 17a is that it goes to the Blanch shopping centre - not many people live there. I'm sure I'm not the only one living in Dublin 15 who needs to take a bus to the shopping centre first, which means I'll have to take 3 buses to get to the airport. Train to Drumcondra is a good option but then again I don't live next to a train station. If I'm going to the airport, I probably have some luggage, so the three-bus-hop or train-bus options are a bit annoying.

Last week I arrived on a late flight to the airport. It was too late to catch a 16 or a 41 to get to a 17a (I tried, but just missed one 16 and the next would have left too late), and also too late to go to the city centre to get on a bus to D15. Eventually I had to take a taxi which was almost 40 euro. There was a huge queue to the taxis in Terminal 1, so I walked to terminal 2 instead, where the queue wasn't as bad (but still took 15 minutes). I was quite jealous to see the long-distance bus options, "nonstop to Galway" and such, while it took me well over an hour and 40 euro to get home. I live about 10 miles from the airport.

I don't know what the solution is. Urbus didn't work back in the day as they were unreliable - that probably made it unsuitable for early morning / late workers, and the route kept changing a lot. Dublin Bus isn't renowned for their 24/7 operations, so it would be difficult for them to start a route that would cater to the workers plus the airport passengers. I wonder if a 17 'B' route that went to the airport instead would work.

I regularly travel to a country that actually has a train to the airport. There I just walk down to the train station, wait a few minutes for the train and travel 15 minutes to get where I want to go. A similar distance to the 'my home - Dublin airport' trip, but 3 times faster.

I called Airport Hopper and Blanchardstown is not planned to get a shuttle stop on its way to Airport in a short term, considering that pass through Castleknock from Lucan/Palmerstown on the way.

Again I assume they should feel much more "demand" coming from D15 locals to feel a push for a bus service through Blanchardstown-Airport.

https://airporthopper.ie

Advertisement