Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Golf the USA

Options
  • 10-05-2018 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Looking at the Players at the moment and have heard a number of references to golfers and the universities they attended.
    I looked up a number of the 'regulars' such-as bubba, Spieth, Thomas, etc.and they seem to have attended state universities, but there is no mention of any academic attainments, Diplomas, Degees, etc.
    Do these guys attend these universities solely for their golf prowess solely or is there an educational aspect also.
    Bubba doesn' give me the impression of someone that has a 3rd level education behind him, but I could be wrong. Also I might be making an incorrect comparisons to our own sport scholarships here
    Anyone enlighten me here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Looking at the Players at the moment and have heard a number of references to golfers and the universities they attended.
    I looked up a number of the 'regulars' such-as bubba, Spieth, Thomas, etc.and they seem to have attended state universities, but there is no mention of any academic attainments, Diplomas, Degees, etc.
    Do these guys attend these universities solely for their golf prowess solely or is there an educational aspect also.
    Bubba doesn' give me the impression of someone that has a 3rd level education behind him, but I could be wrong. Also I might be making an incorrect comparisons to our own sport scholarships here
    Anyone enlighten me here?

They get poached and offered scholarships for their golf. The do study a degree as well but golf would be the main thing for those guys. A lot of the university teams would have sponsorships from club manufacturers as well to use their stuff.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

College sports are huge in the States, and golf is no exception. A number of Irish golfers have played college golf, Leona and Lisa Maguire are due to graduate from Duke University next month, Graeme McDowell won the award for the outstanding college golfer of the year while playing for Alabama and Seamus Power played for Tennessee (I think). It's a recognised way for many golfers to gain serious competitive action before they graduate to the professional ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Most professional athletes in the US have at least some College experience. Anybody who shows a reasonable level of ability at an early age will be snapped up and offered a college scholarship, nobody turns this down because it's a free education and great experience for the pros.

Whether they complete their course or not depends on how good they are really. A very talented college golfer has no need for a degree in business and will probably turn pro before his or her 4 years are up. Tiger woods turned pro after 2 years in college I believe.

It also varies from sport to sport, the NBA has a rule which means a player can't be drafted without at least 1 year of college so the best players do 1 year and then sign for a pro team. Most NFL players do 3-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

I read that Speith left college in his 2nd year,presumably to advance his golf career. IS this normal, do these folks complete their university education and graduate or do they leave to play the .com and page tour.

I don't recall anyone being classed as a graduate of any on these universities nor any suggestion of what they studied.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Some might stay others might just turn pro sooner for reason or another. Matt Fitzpatrick did one semester in Chicago but dropped out and turned pro immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I read that Speith left college in his 2nd year,presumably to advance his golf career. IS this normal, do these folks complete their university education and graduate or do they leave to play the .com and page tour.

I don't recall anyone being classed as a graduate of any on these universities nor any suggestion of what they studied.

If they are good enough to play on the tour they won't finish out their degree generally, it would be basically wasting a couple of years in which they could be making money as a pro. A lot of athletes go back and study after their career is over.

These guys arnt going to study medicine or law, it's something business related more often than not. Communications used to be the future pro athletes major of choice, not sure what it is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A number of guys in my club did the US college thing on golf scholarships, they didn't want to turn pro so it was just a way of getting a free education for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I went to college in the States on a golf scholarship and it was great experience. You have to study full-time while you are there like any other student and if you don't maintain a certain grade point average you aren't allowed to compete in college tournaments.

The experience is night and day from having a sports scholarship to an Irish university. Your tuition, books, accommodation and meals are all paid for if you have a full scholarship. You'll be given clubs, shoes, balls etc.

It is hard work though. As well as full-time study you will have to practice golf approx. 20 hours a week. We had to be in the gym at 7am every morning before lectures, then after lectures you have lunch and head to the golf course for 3hrs practice. In the evening if your grades are not up to a certain level you have to go to study hall.

Also, just because you are on the squad doesn't mean you will get to travel and play in tournaments. We would often have to play stroke-play against each other to qualify to go on the golf trips. There would be about 5 tournaments each semester and 5 players would travel to compete in them.

In order to even get a scholarship in the first place you have to have a certain academic standard, it is not just based on your golfing ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Par72 wrote: »
    In order to even get a scholarship in the first place you have to have a certain academic standard, it is not just based on your golfing ability.

They probably allow a DJ or two in at the same time though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

On this subject must say I am very impressed with the determination and maturity shown by Leona Maguire to finish out her studies before going full time on the LPGA tour. She is studying psychology and business and has continually resisted the lure of turning pro to insist she goes right to the end, recognizing that a pro golf career is a marathon and not a sprint. Bodes really well, I believe, for a long and successful pro career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

PARlance wrote: »
    They probably allow a DJ or two in at the same time though?

Some universities may have lower academic admission standards than others but the NCAA (governing body for collegiate athletics) are pretty strict about a minimum standard before you can compete. Having said that, a lot of college athletes are totally mollycoddled (given tutors who practically do the academic work for them etc.), especially athletes in the sports that make the universities money like football and basketball. Check out the Netflix show Last Chance U for an idea of what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Harrington is a qualified accountant, kept studying while playing as amateur

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

GreeBo wrote: »
    A number of guys in my club did the US college thing on golf scholarships, they didn't want to turn pro so it was just a way of getting a free education for them .

It’s very rare for them to be on 100% scholarship from year 1 so it would still be a very expensive education. You would want to be in the top bracket of player to be offered a 100% scholarship.

AGC wrote: »
    It’s very rare for them to be on 100% scholarship from year 1 so it would still be a very expensive education. You would want to be in the top bracket of player to be offered a 100% scholarship.

agree, my friends Son is in the US and it still costs him a lot of money each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

AGC wrote: »
    . You would want to be in the top bracket of player to be offered a 100% scholarship.

They were!

Par72 wrote: »
    I went to college in the States on a golf scholarship and it was great experience. You have to study full-time while you are there like any other student and if you don't maintain a certain grade point average you aren't allowed to compete in college tournaments.

The experience is night and day from having a sports scholarship to an Irish university. Your tuition, books, accommodation and meals are all paid for if you have a full scholarship. You'll be given clubs, shoes, balls etc.

It is hard work though. As well as full-time study you will have to practice golf approx. 20 hours a week. We had to be in the gym at 7am every morning before lectures, then after lectures you have lunch and head to the golf course for 3hrs practice. In the evening if your grades are not up to a certain level you have to go to study hall.

Also, just because you are on the squad doesn't mean you will get to travel and play in tournaments. We would often have to play stroke-play against each other to qualify to go on the golf trips. There would be about 5 tournaments each semester and 5 players would travel to compete in them.

With anyone we know ? did you play with any known one at college level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

Cork golfer John Murphy who is based in the University Of Louisville has won one of amateur golf's premier events after winning the St Andrews Links Trophy in a play-off. He finished the 72 hole stroke-play tournament at 9 under par alongside Germany's Jannik du Bruyn so a play-off was required. Thankfully the Cork golfer came through it and this win puts himself in a strong position for an Irish cap later in the season. Congrats to John!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Edna_Ennky wrote: »
    Cork golfer John Murphy who is based in the University Of Louisville has won one of amateur golf's premier events after winning the St Andrews Links Trophy in a play-off. He finished the 72 hole stroke-play tournament at 9 under par alongside Germany's Jannik du Bruyn so a play-off was required. Thankfully the Cork golfer came through it and this win puts himself in a strong position for an Irish cap later in the season. Congrats to John!!

Oughterard golfer Devin Morley also attends the University of Louisville. He was leading the East for a while and eventually finished third or fourth I think. He also had a strong finish in the connacht strokeplay last weekend in Portumna.

Advertisement