Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Speed Cushions

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a string of dodgy potholes on the ballymun road, with dodgy repairs, northbound opposite the side entrance to DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

All the potholes on that stretch (Hollystown) have been patched today. The sinking around the speed cushion in question is filled in for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Would they work on two way roads, or would cars just straddle the middle cushions? I saw someone in a Golf take that position with the current setup already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Traffic islands could also be installed on two way roads to calm traffic even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

a normal speed ramp gives a motorist no cause to change position,
    Not sure if you would consider these "normal speed ramps".

https://goo.gl/maps/6QGJzssZy5Q2

These are the type I see most and many cars do change position, they swerve right in towards the kerb so have the car does not see the ramp. I often wondered if this imbalance was worse for the car.

In the google maps link the car is parked, but it is in the position many will take. On that road and smilar ones cars race between ramps, to try and keep up the same average speed. So very counterproductive. I often have cars race up and then pull in dangerously close to me as they try to half avoid the ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Traffic islands could also be installed on two way roads to calm traffic even more.
    I always think traffic calming is a misnomer for traffic islands as cars try to squeeze past or sit close on your wheel. Especially the long ones like outside Intel in Leixlip or north of Ashbourne.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I always think traffic calming is a misnomer for traffic islands as cars try to squeeze past or sit close on your wheel. Especially the long ones like outside Intel in Leixlip or north of Ashbourne.

Also hate traffic islands. Traffic constantly trying to squeeze past, you gave to be really assertive riding by them. Daily cars try to nose in by me at them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭plodder

Raam wrote: »
    Driving instructors teach that, at least one I used did anyway.
    When my daughter was learning to drive a couple of years ago, one instructor told her to drive straight over them without changing position, and another said try to avoid them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they have those speed cushions on the main road near me, I'd say 20% of all cars drive down the middle of the road to avoid them, so they're encouraging bad driving behaviour (with the caveat that those drivers are also idiots).

I like the system they use in 30k zones in France; alternating chicanes where you have to yield to oncoming traffic - the cycle lane usually goes the other side of the chicane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....and the ones around Julianstown too. We've had a few near misses on club runs there with idiots passing and then trying to squeeze back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

A nice one at a bus stop in Harold's Cross, always reminds me of Munch's The Scream

451634.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Reviving this old thread as Fingal have just installed about six pairs of prefabricated speed cusions along Broadmeadows between the railway bridge and the sailing club. The seem to be a different make to the ones at Hollystown but have a similar vertical edge that could easily catch a narrow bike wheel. They are obviously a cheaper option than cutting pockets in the road and forming tarmac cushions but the tarmac ones generally have a smooth transition between the road surface and the ramp.

Maybe write to traffic dublincity ie and tell them this type of hump is dangerous. That's also the address where you write to ask for bike racks in a particular place, by the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wrong local authority, unfortunately!

D'oh.

Worth phoning the council involved and asking what section to address your letter to.

am i jkust misremembering, or did i once hear it claimed that a local authority cannot be held liable for damage to health or property, down to flawed or broken roads, unless the issue has been drawn to their attention prior to the damage?
    i.e. they operate a 'we can't monitor and be aware of every pothole, etc.' policy - so if that's true (and colour me sceptical unless someone can confirm it for me), the first step would be to inform the council? that would remove a leg of their defence should an incident occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

am i jkust misremembering, or did i once hear it claimed that a local authority cannot be held liable for damage to health or property, down to flawed or broken roads, unless the issue has been drawn to their attention prior to the damage?
    i.e. they operate a 'we can't monitor and be aware of every pothole, etc.' policy - so if that's true (and colour me sceptical unless someone can confirm it for me), the first step would be to inform the council? that would remove a leg of their defence should an incident occur.

AFAIK They can't be held liable unless it can be proven they were negligent. In the case of potholes this means you have to prove the hole developed as a result of their shoddy workmanship (even if they've been told about it)

However if they've installed a speed ramp that's dangerous to cyclists, then that's clearly their responsibility.

Advertisement