Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microservice Architecture project

Options
  • 10-05-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

I'm currently learning Java Spring and I'm interested in trying to build something involving micro-service architecture and possibly an implementation of JMS.

Rather than build some stupid arbitrary application that doesn't lead anywhere can anyone think of some real life examples where I could try to implement a solution?

Ultimately I want to do something that has a practical application so I can give it context in my head if you will but I don't have any ideas.

Even an open source project that I could contribute to would be good.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Talisman

Microservices are applicable to many domains. If you want to implement one that is easy to get your head around look at ecommerce or a booking engine.

eCommerce: Products / User / Orders

Hotel Bookings: Hotels / User / Room Bookings

Restaurant Bookings: Restaurants / User / Table Bookings

Microservices involved:

Products/Hotels/Restaurants - CRUD operations and searching based on criteria.

User service - CRUD operations for User entities.

Orders/Bookings service - It would use the primary service and User service to perform CRUD operations on order/booking. As well as searching the primary service for availability, it creates the relationship between the primary service and the User service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Whenever trying out new architectures I always try and set up the basics first.
    Security/Authentication/Authorisation, Users/Accounts, Audit/Logs.
    For micro services add in your messaging/queueing and I would recommend adding some common handling of message schemas & message versioning.

With that base, then you can build any of the common pieces suggested by Talisman.

On a related note about microservices, be very careful about how you handle relationships especially if you are looking to fully decouple your services from each other and how each one stores their data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Dermo wrote: »
    I would recommend adding some common handling of message schemas & message versioning.

Can you be a bit more specific?

Advertisement