Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable to buy beer for 16yr old?

Options
  • 10-05-2018 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Is it ok to buy a 4 pack for your 16 yr old son?

As far as I can see all his contemporaries drink alcohol on nites out and they get older lads to buy it, sometimes they get ripped off.

I told him I'd get him the drink myself ,just wondering is that considered ok to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

No.
    It is illegal to buy alcohol for U18's

Below is a quick copy & paste from drugs.ie

"It is also against the law for an adult to buy alcohol for a young person under the age of 18. The penalty is a maximum fine of €1500.

In a private residence, alcohol cannot be served to a visiting young person (under 18) without the explicit consent of that young person’s parent or guardian."

I think you'd do your 16 year a far better service by acting like their parent rather than trying to be their buddy.
    Not "everybody else" is doing it anyway and besides that's a pi$$ poor excuse imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Milkman.. wrote: »
    Is it ok to buy a 4 pack for your 16 yr old son?

As far as I can see all his contemporaries drink alcohol on nites out and they get older lads to buy it, sometimes they get ripped off.

I told him I'd get him the drink myself ,just wondering is that considered ok to do?

If it’s to consume in your home or under your supervision then I don’t see an issue.

If it’s intended to go off drinking in a field with his mates I would advise against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

No.

"It is also against the law for an adult to buy alcohol for a young person under the age of 18. The penalty is a maximum fine of €1500.

In a private residence, alcohol cannot be served to a visiting young person (under 18) without the explicit consent of that young person’s parent or guardian."

I think you'd do your 16 year a far better service by acting like their parent rather than trying to be their buddy.
    Not "everybody else" is doing it anyway and besides that's a pi$$ poor excuse imo

Few cans, be grand. :pac:

I think it'll be better to harbour a healthy relationship with alcohol starting off in a safe environment, so by doing this your son doesn't think he needs to go off on his own or keep it a secret.

EDIT: Hmm... you didn't specify where your son will be having the cans. If it's to go off with friends (without supervision) I'd advise against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Has he had the odd drink at home with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Heineken 0%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

My dad gave me sips of beer when I was a teenager, then allowed me to drink on special occasions from the age of 16. Don't touch the stuff now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

From 16 onwards my dad bought me a drink the occasional timewere out together.
    I was 17 going to college and we would have a few quiet drinks on a Sunday evening before I got on the bus to head off for the weekend.

I still went off the rails an odd time when I was out with the lads. But nothing serious. Mostly I learned to have a few drinks and enjoy being out with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

nites out

tenor.gif?itemid=5740837

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

When and where I grew up beer and wine was (and still is) legal from 16. Not attributing it to that fact alone, but we don't have a binge drinking culture in my home country. Young people get drunk for a while and then they mostly seem to develop a natural relationship with it. Most people are well able to have a beer or two or three with a meal without it having to turn into a session. We definitely don't have considerable parts of the population being regular 10 pinters. So 16 can't be all that wrong.
    Part of the attraction is the fact that it is forbidden. I wouldn't say you're being irresponsible or try to be a 'buddy instead of a father'. You know he's going to get some booze from somewhere. This way you gonna exert some sort of control over it and you take the 'thrill' of the forbidden out of it. May quite possibly be a better way to developing a more natural relationship with drink in your son than the tried and failed approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

No.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

From the age of 15, my mother used to let me have a couple of cans at home at the weekend when I'd be sitting in watching TV or whatever. This accomplished two things;

1. It made me realise I could have a beer almost any weekend I wanted, which meant I didn't feel like I had to get smashed when I got the chance.

2. By the age of 16, when we started going to youth discos or drinking at friends houses, I was able to drink a few cans and not get sick in someone's kitchen. By the time I was 17, we were going out to pubs and getting into niteclubs, I was well able to handle my few beers, relatively speaking.

Maybe I would have been fine anyway, as I was a big lad for my age, but I do reckon my mother being sensible about letting me have a drink at home probably had a lot to do with the fact that nobody ever had to ring her, or anyone else, because I needed to be brought home legless.

I'll do the same with my son when he's that age and if he shows an interest. I think the worst thing you can do is tell the child that under no circumstances are they to drink. If there's a rebellious streak at all, it'll backfire. They'll get it somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Mixed responses

I'll make my own decision, just wanted to gauge opinion

As far as I can see every 16 yr old male drinks alcohol unless I'm misreading things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Mixed responses

As far as I can see every 16 yr old male drinks alcohol unless I'm misreading things?

Well, it's inevitable with or without your consent or supervision.

Beer pressure n'all that... Y'know... instead of peer... never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

ED E wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=5740837

I won't be taking any advice from you anyway.

I saw that despicable comment you posted you posted on AH recently concerning a missing girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Pretty much inevitable tbh.

My Dad bought me my first Guinness when I was 16.. fond memories of that day, though I didn't fancy the taste at the time. Was a pre-debs prep (well a GCSE version of the debs) where beer was going to be around and I had pretty much 0 experience of it.

Love Guinness now, but hardly drink as it is beyond a Guinness once in a blue moon, or few glasses of red wine at the weekend. But I'll always remember the first one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ashes79

My 16 year old doesn't drink. Even though he knows if he wants to he is welcome to have a beer or a cider anytime at home. As said above making something a "banned substance" to a teenager just makes it more appealing. I'm not my son's friend but I'm not stupid and I remember what it was like to be 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

A bottle or two for a 16 yr old under your supervision will do absolutely no harm. I just wouldn't make it a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Milkman.. wrote:

They don't necessarily, tbh. My now-18 year old nephew was told from around that age that he could have a beer at family occasions etc. if he wanted one, for the same reasons as many here have outlined. He very, very rarely partook, he just had no interest. Even now he very rarely bothers. How much of that is innate and how much is down to the fact that alcohol was never this great secret and mystery to him, I don't know, but I definitely think that age group are far less interested in drinking than previous generations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

sugarman wrote: »
    Thats how its done in most of Europe, kids are allowed a small glass of wine or a small glass of beer from 12+ with a meal in Italy, Spain, France etc... Theyre introduced to it in a safe environment and they dont abuse it. They dont go out and bindge drink because its nothing new to them, its not as appealing. Then the legal drinking age and in some countries even purchasing age below a certain Alc % is 16 anyway.
    That's a very rosy picture you painted. I grew up in one of those countries, we always had wine with meal and we also binged at parties or when parents weren't around. I think a lot of this habits are cultural, kids in some countries binge and kids in others don't regardless of when they start drinking alcohol.

I consider wine part of a meal, I wouldn't mind offering a glass at home to kids before they were 18 (As a glass I mean one or max two units not half a bottle). Would I buy four cans to drink them with their mates? No way. You are not supervising it and it's significant amount of alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Personally I believe remove the mystery of alcohol. Let your son or daughter have a glass with you from 15 onwards encouraging moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Always remember in college, the guys whose parents bought them beer at 16/17 and drank with them were the only ones who didn't drink themselves stupid on Tues & Thurs nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just don’t buy it for their friends or let their friends drink in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Heineken 0%

Yea and let him drink 20 cans of it he ll puke and never want to drink again. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mixed responses

Yes, you are misreading things. Probably every 16-year old tries alcohol, but there's likely to the same range of attitudes and practices with regards to consuming as there is in the adult population, possibly reinforced slightly by immaturity. Some will not be interested; some will drink occasionally; some will drink regularly; some you'll look at and think "that fella is shaping up to be a problem drinker".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Our parents bought us alcohol at around that age, to be drank at home in their company, I no longer drink. Under the right circumstances, I'd do the same thing if I had kids, I'd rather them do it under my supervision than under no supervision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

My parents would allow me a 4 pack of cider or beer when I was 16+ the very odd time. Special occasions like my birthday, new years etc but the condition was I had to drink then at home or at 1 other friends house who's parent were close to mine anyways. and if any of my friends wanted to join my parents would ask for verbal confirmation off their parents first.

To be honest if they didn't allow me to do that I would have gone somewhere else and done in it secret anyways.

During my teens this increased my trust a lot for my parents and I would rarely go behind there backs.

In a lot of EU countries they allow 16+ to drink beer. Germany some beers are considered soft drinks! Even in the UK you can still get a lager with a carvery dinner if your parents are present and consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

I bought for my son because I would rather know what he was drinking than be naive and think he wasn't going to drink if I said no and plus if you buy it for him and know what he is drinking if he gets in any bother he knows he can call you rather than thinking he can't come to you for help because he wasn't suppose to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I bought for my son because I would rather know what he was drinking than be naive and think he wasn't going to drink if I said no and plus if you buy it for him and know what he is drinking if he gets in any bother he knows he can call you rather than thinking he can't come to you for help because he wasn't suppose to drink.

Which is fine but I think it's naive to think kids don't drink without your knowledge. As said I grew up in a house where it was perfectly ok to have a glass of wine with food. Some of my friends didn't, we all binged behind parent's back. The only difference is that I learned very early that you can have a drink because it complements the food and not to get drunk. I got binges out of the system in my twenties and now days I am very moderate drinker who drinks a glass with food and rarely gets drunk.

Advertisement