Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable to buy beer for 16yr old?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I'd say go ahead and get him the cans for at home. A blanket ban only creates mystery as someone said earlier so you're removing that. Better again if you can associate it with something to be enjoyed, like a nice dinner etc and not to be binged to get drunk as fast as possible. He'll learn that some beers better than others so when mates are drinking dutch gold to get pissed he might say no.

My nephew(16) is allowed drink at home the very odd night or at events and its worked a treat. I'd trust him with a liter of vodka and know he wouldnt act the bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Milkman.. wrote: »
    Mixed responses

I'll make my own decision, just wanted to gauge opinion

As far as I can see every 16 yr old male drinks alcohol unless I'm misreading things?

Yes, you are misreading things. Probably every 16-year old tries alcohol, but there's likely to the same range of attitudes and practices with regards to consuming as there is in the adult population, possibly reinforced slightly by immaturity. Some will not be interested; some will drink occasionally; some will drink regularly; some you'll look at and think "that fella is shaping up to be a problem drinker an alcoholic".

OP, a lot depends you and your partners own relationship with alcohol, on how you drink, frequency volume and your drunk persona. Your teen is learning by seeing.

You have the right to choose to buy and keep alcohol in your home and to allow your child to drink. You don't have the right to supply alcohol to other peoples children. If something happened to that other child it would be your responsibility.

If you are only opening the discussion now, you are both lucky and a bit late.
    You need to have a very open discussion with your teen about alcohol and other drugs, legal and illegal. Teaching them 'monkey see monkey do' is not good parenting. Encouraging them to be aware of the choices they make and that they are making the decision not folding under peer pressure is very important. If he and they chose to drink he needs to understand the immediate physical reactions and the possible damage excess drinking can do over time. It's also vital that he understands that if he drinks to excess and passes out that he could die from positional asphyxiation, due to his bodys reflex to vomit. This applies to his friends too.

We have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol in this county and assume that everyone has to drink to have a good time. It's easier to also be drunk than sober in the company of drunk people as it lowers our inhibitions and dumb stuff the group says or does is funnier, but a non drinker can still have fun too. Sober 16 year olds are dumb enough at times so adding drink to the mix without supervision is never a good idea.

One of the biggest peeves I have is the "a go on, you have to have one" attitude people have with non drinkers. Don't do this yourself and explain to your teen making a drama after someone refused alcohol is wrong and that even if he is drinking, he should object to any Mrs Doyle style behaviour. There is nothing wrong with having a drink and then swapping out to non-alcoholic drink or just choosing a non-alcoholic drink at the start.

Some people should not drink, ever, these people can not physically or mentally cope with alcohol. They become physically or mentally dependent on alcohol. They can be high functioning alcoholics who drink daily or bing drinking alcoholics who only fall of the wagon on a regular or semi regular basis. Your son needs to understand if he becomes someone he does not like when drunk or someone he likes too much by drinking that he should not drink at all.

You need to look at your attitudes and how you demonstrate them to your son. It you are doing something he should not be doing explain why what your are doing is wrong. Having an open attitude, an open discussion and being a safety net by being willing to roll out of bed at silly o'clock in the morning, to taxi, is a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'd have no problem with my 16 year old having a couple of beers - they're going to do it anyway. You don't want a situation where they go out, get drunk and are then afraid to come home in case you loose it.

A couple of beers will do him no harm - it's not crystal meth we're talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

You're better off introducing it to them in a safe environment and where you know how many you've bought for them anyway. I've seen far more lads fly off the rails because it was strictly offlimits at home than lads who have been harmed by a couple of cans bought by mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

A couple of beers will do him no harm - it's not crystal meth we're talking about!

For most people a couple of beers will do no harm, but for some people alcohol is crystal meth. I have met people, mainly Asian's who's body cant physically process alcohol (1 drink = hospital), and others who can't physically stop drinking once they start. Thats why respecting other peoples choices is so important, if the OP is happy for the son to drink, he can buy away. But the OP should not be supplying drink to other peoples children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Yellow Brick Road

It depends on the parent / caregiver and their relationship with alcohol. Also, I agree that if you tell a child they can't have something, it may make them more rebellious.

Ireland has a reputation of binge-drinking. When you contrast this to countries like France or Italy, there is a more mature relationship with alcohol. For example, it may be introduced to children at an evening meal on a week-end, in a familiar environment. This may be a better way of introducing alcohol and reduce the level of binge-drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

My first thought would be NO don't do it but if you worry if you say no they will do it anyway which can be worse,
    If you go ahead why not buy him 2 and say look you can have two no problem but because I'm doing this for you will you promise not to drink more, They may respect that more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

But the OP should not be supplying drink to other peoples children.

No, of course not.

Advertisement