Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berbere spice mix

• 10-05-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, is there somewhere I can find Berbere spice mix in Dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Niall11171 wrote: »
    Hi, is there somewhere I can find Berbere spice mix in Dublin ?

There was a thread in the Dublin City forum looking for an Ethiopian restaurant in Dublin. Despite lots of interest, there doesn’t seem to be one. I’d say your going to run into the same problem looking for this spice mix.

Best bet would be to buy it through Amazon. Seems to be loads of suppliers on there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=berber+spice&index=aps&tag=hydrukspg-21&ref=pd_sl_3qe2dkjhu9_b&adgrpid=56056121947&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=259112847246&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14436086079292651461&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=kwd-303443582575

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Dunnes in Galway have it. I assume they sell it in Dublin, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

INGREDIENTS 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek, 1/2 cup ground dried New Mexico chiles, 1/4 cup paprika, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice.

There ya go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

INGREDIENTS 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek, 1/2 cup ground dried New Mexico chiles, 1/4 cup paprika, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice.

There ya go.

Now, that sounds proper.

Mr Bells in Cork does Berber spice mix, but it's basically coriander seed, cinnamon, some chilli and other things. Meh.

Thanks for the recipe CRB! But:

"1/2 cup ground dried New Mexico chiles"

LOL! OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

New Mexico chillies are Fresnos, which you can buy in bags of 5 or 6 in Lidl. String them into a ristra, let them dry completely (hot press is a good spot) and then just crush them in the pestle & mortar or whizz them in the blender. It really couldn't be easier, I do it all the time if I've a glut of fresh chillies.

Or you could just use store-bought dried chilli flakes, if you can taste the difference between them and dried Fresnos in such a heavily flavoured spice mix then you've a superior palate to mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

On a Moroccan theme .. Ras al Hanout, a traditional Moroccan spice mix, is very adaptable. Without the chilli heat and good in many dishes.
    I've not seen Berber mix before but I'll have a look in Mr Bells next time I'm in town.

That's the stuff they have in Dunnes. The list of ingredients on the back is longer ;)

That's the stuff they have in Dunnes. The list of ingredients on the back is longer ;)

Ethiopian spice? ... but the Berbers live in Morocco..
    Ignore my previous comment, bit of a red herring - which would nevertheless probably be very tasty with some Ras al Hanout.

Ethiopian spice? ... but the Berbers live in Morocco..
    Ignore my previous comment, bit of a red herring - which would nevertheless probably be very tasty with some Ras al Hanout.

I think it said on the back that it was made in Lithuania. One of the Baltic Republics anyway. The United Nations of Spices :)

BTW: Wikipedia says that Berbere spice mix is a key ingredient in Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berbere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Berber -nomad tribe in the Sahara in Morocco, typically dressed in blue garb
    Berbere -an Ethiopian spice mix

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Berber -nomad tribe in the Sahara in Morocco, typically dressed in blue garb
    Berbere -an Ethiopian spice mix

You're thinking of the Tuareg, further south; the "blue men". Berbers aren't nomadic and wear typical Moroccan garb.

Looking forward to trying a new spice mix -though it sounds like it might be a bit too chilli for my taste.

Advertisement