Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pneumonia Treatment

• 10-05-2018 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

What is everyone using to treat pneumonia these times.

Baytril is now gone off the Irish market...........

Last calf with pneumonia I had to go to the vet and get a 1.5mm shot of a medicine that began with S, cant remember the name.

Would much prefer to have a bottle of baytril handy........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

aidanki wrote: »
    What is everyone using to treat pneumonia these times.

Baytril is now gone off the Irish market...........

Last calf with pneumonia I had to go to the vet and get a 1.5mm shot of a medicine that began with S, cant remember the name.

Would much prefer to have a bottle of baytril handy........

Nuffor or better again resphicor (spelling??) or best of lot a vaccine bovipast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Micotil. Dear but good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

Draxin?? Or something. The vaccination is the only way going forward. Took me a couple of years to get things half right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ventilation and no draughts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I wasn't aware Baytril is gone but I don't use it much. Unless it's the active ingredient that's gone there will be generics, like Enrotil and Enroxil, available. Marbocyl and it's generics are the closest antibiotics to Baytril that I know of.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Micotil. Dear but good.

Can it be still sold to customers? Thought it was by vet administration only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is there much pneumonia out there at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there much pneumonia out there at the moment?

A neighbours three week old CH calf had it this evening. The vet that treated the calf said that they’re mad busy this week with pnuemonia, scours and the like in cattle recently let out.
    The big daily swings in temperatures lately are a huge cause i think along with downpours of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Can it be still sold to customers? Thought it was by vet administration only?

Has to be given by a vet alright but I've found that if it's to be used they need a vet anyway. I wouldn't be wholeheartedly confident in treating full blown pneumonia myself, would be more used to treating mild cases or a draw on a calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Micotil and cortisone work well together. Micotil can be fatal to humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Ventilation and no draughts

++++ on this point. Prevention better than cure.

Calves with pneumonia and joint ill are similar in my book. People get very worked up about which antibiotic to use for these cases.

I believe in both cases choice of antibiotic is far less important than catching cases early, treating for long enough and using anti-inflammatories. Often times you pneumonia is viral with bacteria a secondary problem. You can kill the bacteria but the inflammation in the lungs will take longer to resolve. Hot weather is hard on animals that had severe pneumonia in the past. Lungs can be left wrecked after a bad bout and animals only just getting by can tip over the edge on hot days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

what treatment would you usually use for anti inflammatory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

I find Metacam very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dexamethasone is what our Vet prescribes.

Advertisement