Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two unlinked accounts hacked, what to do next?

• 11-05-2018 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but please move or delete if it's not appropriate.

Yesterday my ebay account was hacked, email address changed and things were bought by someone who was not me. I did not have my paypal address linked to ebay and have always used a seperate email for paypal too but my paypal account was also hacked and used to pay for what was bought by someone in Russia.
    The people on ebay and paypal support checked that my two accounts were not linked in the sites. The paypal fraud guy told me that having two unlinked accounts hacked was very unusual and that someone must have more information on me than I realise. He also advised me to cancel my credit card and look at banking security.

I'm a bit unnerved by it. I've changed passwords everywhere I can think of as well as cancelled my credit card.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Possibility your passwords were harvested from a device you're using, such as PC, Laptop, Phone with dodgy app on it etc...

I'd be checking your devices and scanning for trojans etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Possibility your passwords were harvested from a device you're using, such as PC, Laptop, Phone with dodgy app on it etc...

I'd be checking your devices and scanning for trojans etc..

God I hadn't thought of that at all. Thank you. Its there any best scanner for something like an android tablet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

You could check with a site like spycloud.com to see if your email address and password have been seen on the web.

Reset any passwords that you are using and consider two factor authentication if you're serious about it.

Advertisement