Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead GPU

Options
  • 11-05-2018 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

My son's 1080 died. His computer powered off, and wouldn't start at all after.
    I isolated the problem to the GPU: with it connected to the PSU, the PC will not power up (no fans, no POST, nothing). With the GPU disconnected from the PSU, the PC works.
    I've tried different power cables, different PSU connector (it's a modular one).
    Last resort: I gave him my 1080ti. It works, he can play again.

Then, I tried his GPU in my PC, and same thing happens: with the card powered, the PC won't start. So, I'm now running my PC with the Intel graphics from the motherboard.

The card is a Zotac Founders Edition. It has run smoothly since he got his PC in Sept 2016. The warranty is only 1 year for parts, so I suspect no luck there.

Is there anything that can be done with this card at this point, or is it a write-off?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1 year warranty really? I'd chance my luck at RMA'ing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I did contact them, but I don't have high hopes.
    The online system says this:

Generate an RMA For a Component

Warranty Notice

This system is out of warranty. It was dispatched on 15-09-2016 and had a 1 year warranty. We are still more than happy to discuss any problems you may have, and if you would like to discuss the possibility of returning your system to us, please do not hesitate to contact us on [...].

This is what I paid for:
    3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Zotac's own standard warranty on graphics cards in the EU is 2 years. Bad form if PCS are refusing to help based on the fact you didn't purchase their extra warranty services.

https://www.zotac.com/si/page/product-warranty-policy

If you contact Zotac directly with proof of purchase and explain the situation they might help to get it sorted somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/sell-abroad/client-guarantee-redress/index_en.htm
    EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That's incorrect, or at least it's not been interpreted like that when incorporating into Irish law. The directive was unclear on the point but I digress, only to say to the OP not to cite this as it's not good law. (Not getting at you KO as it says it there in B&W)

All that said claims have to be entertained for upto six years in Ireland. If PCS won't help you use the small claims procedure it's costs €25. A PC is expected to last longer than a year.

Never buy extended warranties unless you're buying Apple ****e as they are notoriously difficult to sue and if you buy Apple wasting money must be some sort of fetish.

• Advertisement

I spoke to the Customer Support at PCS and they asked for the serial number. They said that their own warranty is out, but will check with Zotac on my behalf.
    I'll wait for a few days, see if there's a reply.

That's incorrect, or at least it's not been interpreted like that when incorporating into Irish law. The directive was unclear on the point but I digress, only to say to the OP not to cite this as it's not good law. (Not getting at you KO as it says it there in B&W)

All that said claims have to be entertained for upto six years in Ireland. If PCS won't help you use the small claims procedure it's costs €25. A PC is expected to last longer than a year.

Never buy extended warranties unless you're buying Apple ****e as they are notoriously difficult to sue and if you buy Apple wasting money must be some sort of fetish.

PCS is a UK company though so EU law is the most relevant rather than Irish consumer law.

Small Claims isn't applicable in this case.

When buying from UK companies, extended warranties can be beneficial for cases like this. I think PCS charge about €70 for a 3 year collect and return service which isn't terrible and gives you good peace of mind.

I wouldn't bother if I was buying from an Irish company though.

PCS is a UK company though so EU law is the most relevant rather than Irish consumer law.

Small Claims isn't applicable in this case.

When buying from UK companies, extended warranties can be beneficial for cases like this. I think PCS charge about €70 for a 3 year collect and return service which isn't terrible and gives you good peace of mind.

I wouldn't bother if I was buying from an Irish company though.

The law in England and Wales would take over assuming the contract wasn't completed in Ireland. Although the E&W law is more up to date the law is almost identical to Ireland - even more so than European integration alone as we share a common legal system. The SmCP has a European framework so you can claim in Ireland. Contact the local District Court for more info OP.

It's €70 the OP simply shouldn't have to spend. It's giving few if any rights he doesn't already have,

PCS got back to me to say the card is under warranty with the manufacturer, Zotac. So, I have two quick questions:
    1. where can I find a large anti-static bag?
    2. best way to mail a box to UK?

Thanks!

Sorry Terror and KO not meaning to sound preachy.

• Advertisement

Not at all! Looks like good info to me. I wasn't aware that there was a EU small claims option available to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

JoyPad wrote: »
    2. best way to mail a box to UK?

Thanks!
    An Post is usually stupidly expensive so I'd use
    https://www.parcel2go.com/ie/ or Parcel Motel

Still looking for a large antistatic bag. Contacted three repair shops so far, but they say they don't have any :(
    I looked inside the packaging that PCS sent the system in, and no bag was provided.
    Is there anything else that would work? I don't want them to say warranty is now void because I didn't send it right. I've seen such terms on a different manufacturer website, but the Zotac one is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

I sent a PM there

Joeface wrote: »
    I sent a PM there

Thanks for the offer, but there must be a bag in Dublin to find. I'd like to send the card in the next day or so.

Quick update: after finding a bag and shipping the dead GPU back to PCS, they have today received it and posted a replacement back to me.
    I should be gaming again in a few days!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

I received the replacement GPU from PCS. It's a brand new Zotac GTX1080 Founders Edition.
    Since I decided I want to upgrade, I put this one on adverts.

Advertisement