Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an idea of Asking Price vs Selling Price?

Options
  • 11-05-2018 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Just something I've been wondering...

It's easy to look at what's available on daft.ie to get an idea of the asking price, but if I look at the price register part of the website you can see the actual selling price (I presume) of what's been sold in various areas.

I'm currently noticing no major dis-connect between what's reported on the property register and the asking prices which is comforting because the two of us are still 2 months out from bidding on places.

Is this a decent guide to get an idea of asking vs selling? Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

z0oT wrote: »

It's easy to look at what's available on daft.ie to get an idea of the asking price, but if I look at the price register part of the website you can see the actual selling price (I presume) of what's been sold in various areas.

I'm currently noticing no major dis-connect between what's reported on the property register and the asking prices which is comforting because the two of us are still 2 months out from bidding on places.

You need to pick specific properties on the price register and then find the original ads on Daft, MyHome, or the agency website (in a lot of cases they will have been removed but sometimes they will still be there).

Even that is not 100% accurate though, as some agencies will change the asking price throughout the sales process (for exemple I’ve seen some which will set a very low asking initially to attract many bidders and once it is getting close to the end they will increase it close to the expected selling price to only attract additional bidders who can still potentially push if further).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jack842

z0oT wrote: »

It's easy to look at what's available on to get an idea of the asking price, but if I look at the part of the website you can see the actual selling price (I presume) of what's been sold in various areas.

From bidding on a number of properties over the last 6 months around the dublin area i found that the selling price normally went between 20 to 50k over the asking. I guess it depends on how many people are bidding on the property and the demand in the area of the country you are looking. The property price register will tell you the selling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Interestingly one of the larger estate agents mentioned to me that if the selling price goes above 20% of the AMV (advertised market value) they can get in trouble as they are seen as market makers. 
    So that perhaps gives an idea of how far off the asking price the closing price may potentially be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I just bought a 3 bed for 45k over asking price. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

machalla wrote: »
    Interestingly one of the larger estate agents mentioned to me that if the selling price goes above 20% of the AMV (advertised market value) they can get in trouble as they are seen as market makers. 
    So that perhaps gives an idea of how far off the asking price the closing price may potentially be.

I was told this too by an agent, but that the asking should be within 10% of the expected sale price. Some agents are more scrupulous than others in this regard. They also have different pricing strategies (ask low to encourage a bidding war or ask higher in order to only get serious bids) which you will come to know if you're looking for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I've found it depends on the agent. One agent in my recent search definitely priced low to drive bidding wars. While the other priced much more closely to the fair market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Really depends as mentioned above on the agents tactics. If priced low to attract interest it goes over. In our case we noticed 30 to 50 k over on properties we bid on that were priced low.
    We priced our own house to sell at price we wanted and got 5 k over. Property we bought was priced at market value and we bought for asking price. Both in Dublin.
    Also noticed fixed uppers seemed to go for way over asking which I thought was strange. Maybe was just the area we were looking at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I just bought a 3 bed for 45k over asking price. :o

€52,500 here.

To be fair, it was probably €50k undervalued and we were expecting final sale price to be well over what we paid for, so we're converting the attic now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

55k over asking and 25k under what it had been previously sale agreed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Wow. We bought just recently for 5,000 over the asking price. Another house on the road, a bit nicer decor wise, just went for 48,000 over what We paid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Dovies wrote: »
    Wow. We bought just recently for 5,000 over the asking price. Another house on the road, a bit nicer decor wise, just went for 48,000 over what We paid!

Amazing what people will pay for a coat of paint and some nice doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Certainly didn't cost us that much to decorate ours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

60 under asking, but 20 more than I thought it was worth.
    Its worth noting that the property price register can have quite a lag.  We were getting frustrated for some time figuring our values, and then wondering why it was going so much above the value we had worked out.  Really PPR is the market driven price up to 6 months ago when the houses added today were being bid on, all other factors being equal. When prices were shooting up, that has an effect.
    But also so much is who walks through the door on the day thats in it.  So whats for sale in a restricted market, and how eager the person is.  If a downsizer or a 50s professional wants a house in a particular area and its a bit tatty, and maybe they just sold a big detached house with a huge garden, then they'll stretch up easy enough.  2 central bank rules struggling families bidding against each other, and it will etch up.  2 different sale prices for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

We agreed a price in November of 2k under asking for a 3bed Terraced house in Dublin 24. Still can't believe we got it for under the asking as we bid on another few houses all of which went way over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Cash_Q wrote: »
    We agreed a price in November of 2k under asking for a 3bed Terraced house in Dublin 24. Still can't believe we got it for under the asking as we bid on another few houses all of which went way over

It was probably priced a bit too high to attract multiple bidders, and it was the start of the quiet season which is good for buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Bob24 wrote:
    It was probably priced a bit too high to attract multiple bidders, and it was the start of the quiet season which is good for buyers.

It really wasn't. It was priced 30-40k less than others nearby. Priced approx the same as 3 others in the same estate that went for 20-30k more and with little difference in them. Others we viewed in West Tallaght priced 30k less went for 40k more than asking/10k more than ours. When we bought, every other house we viewed went sale agreed and closed quickly so wasn't too quiet.

The only explanation we can think of is that there was a tenant here who was seeing out her notice. 4 months remained when we agreed our price which she did have extended (rightfully) but left anyway after the 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cathy427

delete

Advertisement