Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Forced air furnace

Options
  • 11-05-2018 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all

Does anyone have any info on a gas forced air furnace.
    Just brought a house and the heating system is a forced air furnace.
    basically its a big machine in the attic that has ducts and vents goint to each room and it blows hot air into it. there is no bioler and it has a calor gas tank outside.

I had a registered gas Tech in the other day to check all pipes are good and he said he never seen one before and didnt know anything about servicing it.

Just wondering if anyone knows any pros and cons to it as the person i buying the house off is living in america and wouldnt really know how good or efficent it is as he only stayed in the house for 2 weeks a year.

any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Bin it.
    There is an old apartment block in Dublin which was fitted out with a similar heating system and they are next to useless and wholly inefficient.
    Might be best in the long run to get a new heating system installed with radiators and a new boiler.
    Compare the cost of staying with Calor gas (I presume that there is no mains gas) to having an oil boiler installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DonkeyDick1992

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Bin it.
    There is an old apartment block in Dublin which was fitted out with a similar heating system and they are next to useless and wholly inefficient.
    Might be best in the long run to get a new heating system installed with radiators and a new boiler.
    Compare the cost of staying with Calor gas (I presume that there is no mains gas) to having an oil boiler installation.

no mains gas just a tank in the garden like an oil tank except its for gas.
    seems to be great from what i heard from estate agent but what else would he say. will have to stay with it for now until we have a few pound saved to switch to oil and rads, might stick a solid fuel stove in for time being.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Is it a warm air unit you taking about?
    Whats the make/Model? Johnston and Starley?

Post a pic

DGOBS wrote: »
    Is it a warm air unit you taking about?
    Whats the make/Model? Johnston and Starley?

Post a pic

Apologies only getting back to you now.
    Still have the issue but found out that it was imported from America from previous owner.
    It's a Lennox G61MPVT and I have found the issue that is that the burner won't ignite when I look into the furnace I can see the ignitor glows orange but stops after a 2 second
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Any work on a gas appliance requires a RGI (registered gas installer) as a legal requirement.
    Best to contact the importer to seek someone with experience of the appliance.

There is essentially nothing you can do yourself.

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »
    Any work on a gas appliance requires a RGI (registered gas installer) as a legal requirement.

It would be great if I could find a RGI that knows about these systems. Hence why I'm asking if anyone knows anything about them...

Thanks

As above, have you tried speaking to how ever imported or has the Irish agency for the appliance.
    Where in the country are you located?

Would be some guys well used to the older models of warm air units in around Dublin as there is several estates with them, but there are mostly made by Johnston and Starley, and haven't see any Lennox units in Ireland, and have never seen the newer condensing units fitted here (loads of the older models around the UK)

Gasflow in the UK are agents for Lennox, and maybe able to point you in the right direction over here.
    +44 01933 316795
    info@gasflowlimited.co.uk

Advertisement