Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Right nice.

The turn back is critical to the LUAS max capacity on the GL then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Was there a reason why metro couldn't just cpo Peter place estate and the car park behind the presbyterian church and use that space and tie into metro, keeping the tie in North of Charlemont with a temporary turn back at Charlemont Station and divert the luas along adelaide Road. That avoid the sewer probable and the disrupted passengers would still be able to come in as far as Charlemont.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭csirl

I dont see the GL upgrade happening - people along it have lost their chance for an upgrade.

With the demand for PT in Dublin going forward, any future projects need to add to the network. There's way more benefits to having a GL luas AND a metro SW than an upgraded GL.

As for an additional Luas down the N11 serving Sandyford? Political suicide for any Minister to give yet another rail project to SE Dublin when many parts of the city have nothing.

Tbf I see the benefit of a GL upgrade to have a north south metro spine from swords to sandyford.

In saying that if the tie in turns into a political **** show because of a 9 month closure (at least) then the GL commuters should miss out on an upgrade and other areas of Dublin should benefit from a metro.

So in that case I imagine it’ll be too late for a GL upgrade?

I imagine a metro 2 line would be in design at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Consonata

NTA and TII will likely be conducting reports on a future tie in the moment the existing plan clears planning and shovels are in the ground.

Green Line tie in could easily clear planning before the existing scheme even finishes. I'm guessing that's the plan anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, I expect they will do a detailed study of the three most likely options, GL Upgrade, UCD or SW and based on the outcome of that will go ahead with one. Similar to how Metrolink came from a 2017 study of options for that corridor.

I suspect there will be enormous public pressure to go with the GL upgrade option, plus it would likely be by far the cheapest option. Vastly cheaper then a SW line.

Also you keep repeating 9 months. That was the old plan, a new plan, could look very different.

Really we will have to wait and see what the planners come up with and the comparison of the different options.

I keep repeating at least 9 months as that is the only plan on the table at the moment so that’s fair enough imo.

As I said before the GL upgrade makes the most sense IF (and it’s a big if) a 9 month total closure can be sold to the public and the politicians stay out of it- which they won’t.

In that case the door is open to a SW or other route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Consonata

Far more likely that nothing happens at all in that scenario. A south west bored tunnel will be phenomenally expensive and will quite as much disruption, if not more, as the GL tie in would do.

I don't think it's simply a matter of turning the tunnel west. I think it's we get the tie in or we get nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The GL upgrade would add 10,000 pphpd capacity to the line for hundreds of millions. It would be exceptionally cost effective.

But it is that or turning the TBM in a different direction from Charlemont.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Does no-one remembers the Newland's Cross upgrade that removed the Mad Cow Roundabout and allows free=flow through the old roundabout.

It took forever - years - caused massive traffic jams - for miles in all directions - starred in the RTE traffic jam reports every day - and became a running joke in popular culture.

Any closure of the GL will be forgotten within a month once the metro allows those affected to use it to the full. Getting to the CC in minutes, the airport in less than half an hour will be celebrated in the red brick palaces in Rathmines and the industrial estate in Sandyford and all places in-between.

They will not know what to do with themselves and wonder what the fuss was about as they head for their holidays.

Rathmines? Why would a GL upgrade be celebrated in rathmines?

Do you mean Ranelagh?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭spillit67

Not railing against anything.

Tallaght could definitely do with a second line.

Just humorous that you threw your toys out of the pram over Sanydord.

Many in Rathmines take it daily. It is a short walk.

It’s more like the existing politicians really want a UCD tie in and that there will be a growing pressure for that once every university with the exception of UCD is served by rail of some description.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Luas to UCD won’t ruffle feathers in the north side considering it is getting Dart Coastal, Dart West, Metrolink and Luas Finglas all in the next 8 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

“I expect they will do a detailed study of the three most likely options, GL Upgrade, UCD or SW and based on the outcome of that will go ahead with one. “

…And then build the other two shortly afterwards, right? It’s not 1 of the 3, it’s all 3.

• Advertisement

The SW line should not interface at all at Charlemont as then ML would be a 3-way line, which would split the capacity between S and SW. Also trying to tie in would be an engineering sh*tshow.

Instead it should run Beaumont-Drumcondra-Mater-High St-Harold’s Cross-Terenure-Tallaght-Saggart-Rathcoole. Bonus points if you get it over the N7 to Newcastle. Would cost a fortune but could be done in stages:

Mater-Terenure

Terenure-Rathcoole

Beaumont-Mater

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

For a new line, you have to consider places which can easily accommodate cut and cover stations and also connect areas with large employment centres, dense residential + potential for dense redevelopment.

An option (acknowledging I'm not familiar with some of these locations):

Irish Glass Bottle Site -> Ringsend Stadium -> Grand Canal Dock -> Wilton Terrace -> Charlemont

-> Cathal Da Brugha Barracks -> Harold's Cross Stadium -> Kimmage Industrial Estate -> Ashleaf Shopping Centre Crumlin ->

Greenhills (Ballymount) -> Kylemore (Ballymount) -> TU Campus Tallaght -> Tallaght Stadium

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sure, in an ideal world. Even then, you would still need to choose how to prioritise them. Also you couldn’t do both a GL Metro upgrade and have a SW branch off Charlemont, the tunnel wouldn’t have the capacity for both to feed into it. You would have to do the SW Metro as a separate Metro line.

And how would all three compare to Metro West, the various other proposed Luas lines (Lucan, North East, etc.), Dart Underground, etc.

Unfortunately it would be a likely outcome.

NTA/TII already did a study of this potential SW route just two years ago, plus they looked at the option of doing the SW line as a separate line terminating at Stephen’s Green (an option that has the advantage of leaving the option of upgrading the Green line to Metro).

Both options ended up with moderate demand, high construction cost and as a result a poor BCR (Benefit to Cost Ratio) of 0.5/0.6

The conclusion was that neither option should be progressed.

The GL Metro upgrade would be attractive as it would double the capacity of the GL, a line with massive demand and growth potential, for a relatively very low cost of a couple hundred million, which would make for a very positive BCR.

If for whatever reason the GL Metro upgrade doesn’t happen, the likely outcome is that nothing happens, including a SW option.

After this another line to consider could be a semi-circular line from Merrion Gates, through UCD, through 3 southside golf courses, up towards Heuston West, convert PPT line through Drumcondra to Metro standard, and head to Spencer Dock, even continue using the port freight line across the Liffey to Glass Bottle Site. The Maynooth line could remain as Dart serving Spencer Dock only, not Connolly.

The options are endless really.

Post edited by loco_scolo on

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

wherever , it goes, if anywhere, will have to accept higher density development, we can see it planned along both routes at the minute

No toys out of the pram from me- not sure where you got that from?

Try and keep it on topic.

The report prepared by Jacobs/NTA/TII was aimed at people who were calling for SSG to Charlemont to be axed, so I wouldn't give much weight to its claimed CBA. To be clear, I fully support current Metrolink plans and upgrade of GL.

The SW route which NTA/TII analysed missed key areas of high development potential such as Cathal Da Brugha Barracks, Ballymount Industrial Estate (South East side of the estate) and Tallaght. It chose a route almost exclusively through residential areas of 3-bed semi-Ds.

The population of Greater Dublin Area is likely to grow from 2.2m today to 3.3-3.6m in 50years, assuming population growth of 0.8-1.0% per annum. The likes of Tallaght and Ballymount can't rely exclusively on the Red Luas, Buses and one Dart station on the northern boundary of Ballymount (an area of 6.5sqkm).

Post edited by loco_scolo on

Having read the report now, I’d say it is fairly accurate. Sure a slightly different alignment might add 0.1 or 0.2 to a CBA, but I’d doubt it would break a 1:1 CBA, so not great either way.

Of course I’m not saying it won’t ever happen, if they can’t find a way to route a Luas through there, then it might be the only option despite a poor CBA.

I think we would both agree that it would be insane to hobble the Green line by building this as an extension of the Metrolink. That just makes no sense.

The second option of a completely separate SW line as far as Stephen’s Green was only a few hundred million more, while leaving the option to upgrade the Green line when needed and also the option of continuing it further North East in future. A vastly better option IMO.

• Advertisement

I haven't read the report in detail so won't accept or dispute the CBA - the issue is their chosen route which excludes Tallaght, a population of 60,000. It also excludes Ballymount and Cathal Da Brugha Barracks. Including these 3 areas in a route selection would provide a vastly different result. Extending the line further to Wilton Terrace, Grand Canal Dock and Glass Bottle Site Ringsend is a different ballgame.

I don't accept that no other Metro route in the city would yield a positive CBA. Fully supportive of GL, again just to be clear.

Advertisement