Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hurrache wrote: »
    There are exceptions, but what business justification to protect its business can Boards claim? How do they monetise posts and therefore lose revenue if a users posts are deleted?

That posts being maintained are a core part of the site's offering (for deletion requests); and the ability to talk about users in private forums is essential to maintaining rule based integrity of the site (for denying access to those posts)

If someone disagrees with that they'll likely have to win a judgement on the topic in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I said legally "defensible", not legally "correct". You can interpret or argue a balance of rights and try and draw a conclusion favourable to your position. Whether that would bear out under the ultimate scrutiny in court is a different question. But you can certainly start at point A and legally defend yourself against anyone arguing you should be at B - Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Just came across an exemple of why it was critical for companies to make sure their business model is not at odds with GDPR and address potential issues well ahead of time: http://bitcoinist.com/parity-forced-to-shut-down-picops-due-to-gdpr/

This goes to show that “GDPR can’t work that way or otherwise how can I operate my service” is not an appropriate reaction. There will be services closing down because of lack of preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yes, we've been over it, it's irrelevant if it's a requirement.

Well, personally, I hope boards.ie loophole the fuck out of it if it does become a requirement. Otherwise, it's the death knell of the site.

• Advertisement

RHJ wrote: »

What? Many Reddit threads are unreadable due to post deletions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, personally, I hope boards.ie loophole the fuck out of it if it does become a requirement.

Yeah, that will go well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

If you just supply your social media details such as Facebook but don't mention your boards.ie handle, why do you think the US government would start trawling boards.ie trying to find you? Does that seem likely to you?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

_Dara_ wrote: »
    If you just supply your social media details such as Facebook but don't mention your boards.ie handle, why do you think the US government would start trawling boards.ie trying to find you? Does that seem likely to you?
    If the US Government were interested I suspect anything done to "permanently delete" stuff over here may not be as effective as some might think/hope:)

• Advertisement

Well, the example given is a poor one. It’s stretching the limits of plausibility to think that your messageboard account, complete with a username that, at best, might vaguely resemble your real name will be honed in on by the US government, especially as there are many messageboards aside from boards.ie. Even on a practical level, the manpower wouldn’t be there even if the will was. Social media accounts with your real name attached will be the focus and even then, I’d question whether the manpower would be there to vet everyone’s.

With social media accounts it's not like someone in the NSA are sitting there trawling though everything you ever posted. It's automated and will flag anything with certain keywords, key phrases, photos and so on, and only then may someone manually look into things.

With social media accounts it's not like someone in the NSA are sitting there trawling though everything you ever posted. It's automated and will flag anything with certain keywords, key phrases, photos and so on, and only then may someone manually look into things.

Yes, of course. But boards.ie alone has thousands and thousands of registered users. It is so massively unlikely that you would be found. They'd maybe narrow it down to a stable of users who might be you. And that's as close as they'd get. If they'd bother. Which they wouldn't.

I think it’s very pertinent to highlight the differences between social media platforms and messageboards. People have been equating them on this thread, even going as far as to call boards.ie a social media website. It’s not, it’s very different for so many reasons. The key one being that from the outside looking in, for all practical purposes, people aren’t readily identifiable and very rarely can you definitively prove that you know a particular forum member.

Will this legislation affect boards? No doubt but I think the anonymity will help it. Nobody knows how this will pan out yet.

I for one will hoping that boards.ie can work around it to keep threads intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You keep seeming to miss the point that under GDPR, that this isn't an absolute.
    There are numerous reasons allowed under the legislation (and they have been linked to and quoted already on the thread) where deletion requests do not have to be acceded to - not least that it's still very debatable under the legislation as to what content on Boards would be deemed to actually constitute personal data.

You might enjoy reading this and mapping posters to the various stages ;-)

https://venturebeat.com/2018/04/29/the-7-stages-of-gdpr-grief/

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

Which is the unfortunate thing as there's been a 2 year lead in to the implementation date.

I have no doubt this happens occasionally. I've identified people.

But it strikes me that people are worried about being identified because it might affect their life with regards to future employment or whatever. That's the bit I really struggle with. It is so vanishingly unlikely that this will happen. The example give of the US government vetting social media only highlights that for me. If you don't mention your messageboard handle, how likely is it that messageboards will be combed for traces of every single individual that visits the country? Or even just individuals who social media profile causes them to be flagged?

Or if you applied for a job. How would a potential employer tackle the totality of boards.ie posts to try and identify you among the thousands and thousands of registered users?

People are thinking theoretically here, I'm coming at it from a practical angle. Manpower, will, time - these things are all required.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Many employers can already track all online activity on their systems. If posters are concerned about that I suspect many can already be traced by their employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The issue for boards.ie is that they are one of (the?) biggest irish discussion forum.

If someone is going to make a complaint about a GDPR breach that involves message boards, boards.ie have the biggest exposure.

askaboutmoney, peoplesrepublicofcork etc will all be thinking that they can wait and see how it pans out with boards.ie

No point in boards.ie leaving themselves wide open to a massive fine (20 mill or 4% of turnover - whichever is bigger) so they would be wise to over compensate and let someone else get taken to court.

These kind of max fines only happen if the company is in breach, is found to be so by the data commissioner and is taken to court and loses. The first thing that happens is they are requested to fix things. It’s only on multiple violations that a court case ensues.

What boards could do is consult with the DC and see if they are in violation by not allowing posters to delete all posts on closing accounts. I doubt it.

They had two years to discuss it, and they still don't seem to have a policy.

• Advertisement

They had two years to discuss it, and they still don't seem to have a policy.

I’d say some lawyers, managers, and engineers are currently locked-up in a room 20 hours a day to work on it after realising there was a bit more work involved than originally expected ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement