Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He’s always argues like that. He found one phrase in the GPDR handbook about privacy being violated by a natural person being identifiable by political views etc and assumes that all political posts can identify the natural person.

The mistake has been pointed out a few times but back he comes with the same boilerplate argument.

Well I might disagree with him but I thank him for starting the thread & asking the original questions. It's been interesting & has educated quite a few posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

I take exception to this part of Sean's post...

These requests must be sent via a Private Message (PM) to the following recipient Boards.ie: GDPR (if for any reason you are unable to access or send a PM please email datarequests@boards.ie and we will get back to you with further instructions).

No, the onus is on Boards to delete the data as is my understanding. No "further instructions" are necessary... This looks like Boards will try to say that the user has that responsibility in their "further instructions".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Creative83 wrote: »
    I take exception to this part of Sean's post...

These requests must be sent via a Private Message (PM) to the following recipient Boards.ie: GDPR (if for any reason you are unable to access or send a PM please email datarequests@boards.ie and we will get back to you with further instructions).

No, the onus is on Boards to delete the data as is my understanding. No "further instructions" are necessary... This looks like Boards will try to say that the user has that responsibility in their "further instructions".

Well no... the user has the responsibility to verify their identity.

A PM request implicitly verifies the identity of the person requesting post deletion, whereas anybody can send an email. I would imagine that the "further instructions" would be instructions on how to verify that you are actually the owner of the account from which you want posts deleted.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Well no... the user has the responsibility to verify their identity.

A PM request implicitly verifies the identity of the person requesting post deletion, whereas anybody can send an email. I would imagine that the "further instructions" would be instructions on how to verify that you are actually the owner of the account from which you want posts deleted.

Fair enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

How so? I don't think it's an unreasonable request, considering the alternative:
    To: datarequests@boards.ie

Hi guys,

please delete all 20,909 posts of mine immediately.

Regards,
    Mike Fred

How so? I don't think it's an unreasonable request, considering the alternative:

How would they verify?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

What about a banned user who made an arse of themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Creative83 wrote: »
    How would they verify?

I can't speak for boards here, but I'd imagine that one way would be a confirmation email through the email address used to create the account.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:

If you are a current member yes but it seems if I quoted your posts you can't request that they be deleted. Only the original post you made. If I quote you its my data

Patww79 wrote: »

Apparently so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

IRE60 wrote: »
    They are not processing that data. A post containing 'personal data' ie the name of someone - they are not 'processing' it. They are displaying it or publishing it, no processing. If that were the case then the media would be unable to operate as of midnight!

I think we are reaching here.

They are processing it. Media have an exemption.

Patww79 wrote:

Read back the last page or so. You'll find a long post from boards.ie explaining everything. You just have to prove that you own the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

they can run a script quiet easily. try searching 40 million emails for a keyword:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I can't speak for boards here, but I'd imagine that one way would be a confirmation email through the email address used to create the account.

That email address will be deleted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think there will be a lot of disappointed users who did not read the post to the last sentence which I've bolded since people apparently missed it.
    User Posts

For users with an active Boards account, posts made by a user can be associated with other information held by Boards that relates to an identified or identifiable natural person (for example a post can be associated with a user’s email address and/or real name). Therefore, posts made by a user with an active Boards account are considered personal data and GDPR regulations apply to these posts, including the right of erasure. As such, from 25 May we will begin to process requests for erasure of posts from users with an active Boards account. These requests must be sent via a Private Message (PM) to the following recipient Boards.ie: GDPR (if for any reason you are unable to access or send a PM please email datarequests@boards.ie and we will get back to you with further instructions).

For closed accounts all personal data (other than users’ posts) will be deleted. Therefore, posts made by users whose accounts were subsequently closed cannot be associated with other information held by Boards that relates to an identified or identifiable natural person and as such are not considered personal data and GDPR does not apply to this data.

In specific instances where the content of a post contains sensitive data or data that could be used to identify an individual we will consider requests to edit or delete the post; these will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
    That is not the same as blanket deleting 21k posts; that's the user pointing out which of those 21k posts identify them and then it is reviewed and considered. Sorry to be a spoil sport but since closed accounts are not applicable for the process (as per the previous section) that part can only apply to existing accounts.

On a completely separate note based on the above policy the easiest way for boards to process this would be to simply close people's accounts since that removes all the relevant personal data they hold. Not that I think boards would use that as policy but per the policy definition it's the fastest way to become compliant per say.

Nody wrote:
    That is not the same as blanket deleting 21k posts; that's the user pointing out which of those 21k posts identify them and then it is reviewed and considered. Sorry to be a spoil sport but since closed accounts are not applicable for the process (as per the previous section) that part can only apply to existing accounts.

I'm reading it that the case by case is for closed accounts.

I'm reading it that open accounts the posts are part of personal data and you can have some or all deleted. On request.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm reading it that the case by case is for closed accounts.

I'm reading it that open accounts the posts are part of personal data and you can have some or all deleted. On request.
    They only need to delete the posts that contain personal data and you as a user has to point out what is the post with personal data and what said data is. That is not the same thing as deleting 21k posts by claiming "I think I can be identified in some of them". For example take your last post; in what way would that post identify your real life identity? It does not in any way do so and hence there's no reason for them to delete it; now if you signed every post with your real life name that would be a reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ll keep this simple, if I do nothing and don’t want my account altered in any way, will any of this effect me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Dtp1979 wrote:
    I’ll keep this simple, if I do nothing and don’t want my account altered in any way, will any of this affect me?

No.
    Doesn't effect me either. I'm happy to leave all my posts

Nody wrote:
    They only need to delete the posts that contain personal data and you as a user has to point out what is the post with personal data and what said data is. That is not the same thing as deleting 21k posts by claiming "I think I can be identified in some of them". For example take your last post; in what way would that post identify your real life identity? It does not in any way do so and hence there's no reason for them to delete it; now if you signed every post with your real life name that would be a reason for it.

I'm on the side of leaving all the posts but the official statement says that current members posts are part of their data while they are members & anything & everything can be deleted.

Closed accounts the posts are no longer a person's data & they'll be handled on a case by case.

That's how I read the statement anyway. Maybe I picked it up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm on the side of leaving all the posts but the official statement says that current members posts are part of their data while they are members & anything & everything can be deleted.

Closed accounts the posts are no longer a person's data & they'll be handled on a case by case.

That's how I read the statement anyway. Maybe I picked it up wrong.

That’s the way I read it as well.

Basically what they are saying is that while you have an active account they consider your post to be your personal data because they can be linked to your personal details (such as the email address associated to your account).

But their view is that since when you close your account they will delete the personal details (email, etc) associated to the account, these posts are not your personal data anymore as they can’t be linked to you anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

I'm smiling now. Permabear at last we agree on something! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'm reading it as only stuff that identifies me so for example this post in no way identifies me so I can't ask for it to be deleted. I honestly don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Putinbot wrote: »
    I'm reading it as only stuff that identifies me so for example this post in no way identifies me so I can't ask for it to be deleted. I honestly don't know.
    So basically, if you're registered you can delete anything and everything.

If you're not, you can't.

However there is a process so that if you posted anonymously or in a closed account and there's a post containing details that identify you, boards will consider one-off deletion requests.

My understanding is that most of this has pretty much been possible previously anyway. The only major change is the registered users' right to demand post deletions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement