Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Maybe you should’ve skipped that AMA?

Rather that deleting posts in most cases the law would probably be adhered to by having an unique per thread username for deleted users. Not a huge technical challenge except for the quoting system not being perfect yet.

They could argue that it harms their business model severely and that (with the technical fixes I outlined) no identifiable links between the posts and the real life person.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

They could argue that it harms their business model severely and that (with the technical fixes I outlined) no identifiable links between the posts and the real life person.

Their business is trying to turn a profit off of the users data. When a user withdraws their consent to their data published on the site then GDPR provides that the data needs to be erased. The user has a right to be forgotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

When a user withdraws their consent to their data published on the site

Interesting concept.

Consent to publish is part of the site terms of use that you must agree to before activating an account here.

Can you legally withdraw that? I genuinely don't know.

e.g. if you consent to sex (as in akin to what happened in a recent legal case) and have sex, can you withdraw that consent a week or a month or a year later?
    Can you then cry that your right to be anonymous was infringed when you made a conscious decision to post something that might possibly identify you?

I'm not saying GDPR is good or bad in terms of boards, still undecided there.
    I do agree with Clouds (original founder member) vision that boards will be a resource and a piece of history that can be studied by future generations and so should remain 'as is'.

Steve wrote: »
    Interesting concept.

Consent to publish is part of the site terms of use that you must agree to before activating an account here.

Can you legally withdraw that? I genuinely don't know.

e.g. if you consent to sex (as in akin to what happened in a recent legal case) and have sex, can you withdraw that consent a week or a month or a year later?
    Can you then cry that your right to be anonymous was infringed when you made a conscious decision to post something that might possibly identify you?

I'm not saying GDPR is good or bad in terms of boards, still undecided there.
    I do agree with Clouds (original founder member) vision that boards will be a resource and a piece of history that can be studied by future generations and so should remain 'as is'.

Do you notice the amount of emails your getting recently from companies asking you to renew consent for them to use your data?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Do you notice the amount of emails your getting recently from companies asking you to renew consent for them to use your data?

No, I'm getting emails that ask me to consent to remain on their mailing list. I actually read them and only agree when I'm happy there are no hidden 'pass-on' clauses.

I presume you know that posting that is a breach of site terms of use and can earn you a permanent site ban.

You seem to want the rules to apply but only when it suits you.

Yes, if you can get sued or even charged over what you post online shows you own the data. It is your data.

• Advertisement

Their business is trying to turn a profit off of the users data. When a user withdraws their consent to their data published on the site then GDPR provides that the data needs to be erased. The user has a right to be forgotten.

Identifiable data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

RHJ wrote: »
    How is pointing out the truth worthy of a ban?
    it's you who originally posted that information about yourself. Hopefully, once the regulation is in force you will be able to request that identifiable information is removed permanently.

He can only do that, if at all, on a closed account.

You guys realise that right? Provided a business continues to provide a service you agreed to it has the right to the data.

I agree, it was that one time in band camp...
    It was still with consent tho.
    Similarly, posting information on the internet once shouldn't constitute an agreement to keep it on the internet for the rest of all time. If you posted it, and you own it, you should be able to take it offline at any later point.
    There's the thing, you don't own it, you agreed by signing up here that boards has the right to publish it in perpetuity.

Read the TOU!! if you don't agree then you can simply not post here!

Your position in this debate is admirable but is untenable and seems to be driven by resentment for something that you resent from a previous experience here.

RHJ wrote: »
    Speculating as to the real life identity of another member is a breach of site terms and may result in a ban.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You say this as a matter of absolute fact of law but you are mistaken as I have pointed out previously.

It's getting to the stage where I'm wondering have you read the material you're relying on? I think you haven't. I don't blame you as it is a serious undertaking to read the GDPR, understand and parse it, then read the Oireachtas Bill, understand, parse and assimilate it, but the arguments you're making out in this thread suggest to me that you've only read a few headlines about the GDPR and have taken them to be the be all and end all of the discussion.

I would have anticipated in the ordinary course that you would at least have read and understood the regulation itself but this may not be the case according to your posts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

He can only do that, if at all, on a closed account.

You guys realise that right? Provided a business continues to provide a service you agreed to it has the right to the data.
    how would this apply to banned accounts i wonder?

• Advertisement

So, at this point in time are you giving boards consent to publish your posts in perpetuity or are you withdrawing said 'consent' in which case your opinion on the matter will be completely and permanently removed?

Not something I can arrange but seeing as there are admins involved in the thread it may happen.

Personally, I would prefer if history got to see both sides of the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

I'll ask again: are you giving boards consent to publish your posts in perpetuity?
    Or are you withdrawing said 'consent'.

Simple yes or no answer will do.

You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Steve wrote: »
    I'll ask again: are you giving boards consent to publish your posts in perpetuity?
    Or are you withdrawing said 'consent'.

From article 7 of GDPR: "The data subject shall have the right to withdraw his or her consent at any time".

So starting next Friday GDPR will simply make the question you are asking illegal for any organisation to ask (if consent is related to personal data of course, the only question here is whether someone's complete posting history constitute personal data under GDPR).

And even if Permabear was saying yes today, if they came back on Friday to say they withdraw their consent, the commitment you got today would hold no legal value.

You went from being uncertain about what identifiable is to being certain that every post here is identifiable. It isn’t.

You did an AMA. That was up to you. You tend to post personal data and that’s also up to you.

If the username is obstufcated when you close your account boards probably doesn’t have to delete threads.

Its also a fact that law cannot be retrospective, it will be interesting to see how that evolves.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement