Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skyrim Switch

• 11-05-2018 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭

Finished up with Breath of the Wild and started Skyrim Elder Scrolls for the first time but can’t get into it at the moment ( granted I’ve only played about 2 hours). It just seems a bit dated compared to BOTW. Is it worth sticking with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

peter4918 wrote: »
    Finished up with Breath of the Wild and started Skyrim Elder Scrolls for the first time but can’t get into it at the moment ( granted I’ve only played about 2 hours). It just seems a bit dated compared to BOTW. Is it worth sticking with it?

I felt that too its like moving a cow on its hind legs, gave up after 2 hours too. Should have tried it on the xbox first to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GinLyn

peter4918 wrote: »

Breath of the Wild was fantastic, loved the open world element to it. Tad disappointed by the shrines though, I do love a good temple like in previous games. Bought Skyrim after clearing BotW took a while to get into but honestly keep pushing through, it gets better and better the more hours you put in. The start is so slow though. I've put more time into Skyrim now than I have BotW on the Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it's just a matter of acclimatising to the very different pace and style of Skyrim compared to BotW.
    Tbh I'd say it would be just as jarring moving from an older LoZ title, like OoT to BotW, such a departure it is.

Skyrim, by most reports, is incredibly immersive and it has one major thing BotW doesn't have, dungeons, tons of them, as well as other areas and side quests of a more traditional type, and most embedded in the broad narrative and then contribute to your characters development.

Don't take my word, as I have probably only made it 2 hours into it myself, but my soon to be 15 year old has spent a lot of time in Skyrim, on both the PS3 and then on the Switch, having completely different adventures each time, and he loved BotW as well.
    So I would say, continue to invest time in Skyrim and you are unlikely to be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭peter4918

I’ll stick with it for another while so and see how I get on, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's a totally different game with totally different goals. Also, like Morrowind it suffers from being an RPG that gives you so much choice about what you do that you can easily become underwhelmed by it's overwhelmingness.

Are you a magician? An Archer? A berserker? Are you the dragonborn, destined to save the word? A travelling apothecary who rolls from town to town turning nature's bounty into hard cash? Are you an unhinged vampire who descends on bandit and lawbringer alike, macing them in their sleep?

I'm about 25 hours in after losing my way on a previous 20hr save when SMO launched. There is almost 0 overlap on the 2 saves. It's a huge game with plenty to do. Stick with it.

But.... If the idea of using skills in the game in order to improve those skills, and an endless grind of bandit murdering and dungeon crawling to generate cash for houses and horses and cool spells and gear doesn't appeal, well there's still the main quest which is pretty epic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

An Archer... Wasn't she in the Jack Ryan movies with Harrison Ford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I've easily sunk 4 - 5 times more play time into skyrim over botw. Not even near what I'd originally put into pc. Have avoided main story and just doing guild quests and random exploring. Doubt Ive touched botw since last summer, haven't even looked at the dlc I purchased for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

I have also put way more hours into Skyrim over the years and I am on the fast track to doing the same on Switch. In my opinion BOTW is a better and more well crafted game but Skyrim is still my favourite. Once you get into it it has unbelievable replay value as playing with a different character style feels like a new game.

For whatever reason, as much as I love BOTW, I just can't seem to replay it. Too soon maybe.

Advertisement