Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reusing mattress covers?

Options
  • 11-05-2018 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all, just have a quick query

So I'm in the middle of moving out, and on a letter provided by the landlady, she requested to have the mattress cover laundered before leaving. I've never heard of this - I thought new covers were provided for new tenants that comes in, as this has been my experience renting in other accommodation.

As it stands there's a stain on it which refuses to shift (tried WD40, bread soda+vinegar, salt), but the mattress itself is clean at least. There's also a pest problem in the accommodation (silverfish), though I've no idea if they can go into mattresses, covers etc or not, but surely with all this combined it would be safer than sorry to replace the cover?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Yeah, I'll just buy a new one, she'd most likely take more out of the deposit than the price of buying one myself. They were provided here, so to be fair the onus is on me to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

chite wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll just buy a new one, she'd most likely take more out of the deposit than the price of buying one myself. They were provided here, so to be fair the onus is on me to replace it.

If your landlady sees them as reusable the next question is ... what happened on that pre-used mattress cover you’ve been sleeping on before you moved in?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Bob24 wrote:
    If your landlady sees them as reusable the next question is ... what happened on that pre-used mattress cover you’ve been sleeping on before you moved in?!

Does that really make any difference at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Bob24 wrote: »
    Dial Hard wrote: »

I guess it's alright if they're washed and stain-free, and just replace if they're not like this - I mean we all sleep on mattresses that are slept on previously. I'm just also wondering with the added issue of silverfish being here, if they can get into bedding, then surely it'd be better to replace than wash and reuse the cover? (wouldn't expect the mattress to be replaced obv).

I'm asking her about this so I'll see what she says, then I'll sort buying a new one if I have to.

Dial Hard wrote: »

I’m kind of kidding and yeah at this stage it’s done, but tbh i would definitely want a new one if i was moving into a new place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bob24 wrote: »
    I’m kind of kidding and yeah at this stage it’s done, but tbh i would definitely want a new one if i was moving into a new place.

If you've ever stayed in a hotel you're sleeping on a mattress that probably thousands of people have had sex on.

Lumen wrote: »
    If you've ever stayed in a hotel you're sleeping on a mattress that probably thousands of people have had sex on.

Doesn’t affect the fact that I would like a new mattress cover if I move to a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I firmly believe Tenants should provide their own mattresses

Advertisement